Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 03:09 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,298,687 times

Advertisements

Why is it that Hawaii attracts dog people?

I just regularly see this on the Hawaii threads all the time. I never see people planning to move to NYC or other dense cities with small apartments...wanting to bring their medium-sized to large dog(s).

Yet, with Oahu/Hononlu and throughout Hawaii, I see it often on these threads?

I can understand dog people loving dogs. I just don't see why they'd want to bring them to live in space-limited environments.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 04-04-2012 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 03:13 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,723,127 times
It's the exact same as everywhere else. NYC, Miami, Chicago, LA etc, etc. The reason its mentioned on the Hawaii forum so much is because of the difficulty in finding a place and the process of the quarantine. Those two things combined means a person is going to be doing some asking on the topic of dogs. Since few other places have the combination of dificulty in finding a place, a process that means you have to be sure when you decide to move with a pet, and the cost associated with all of this, yeah I would be asking to get the advice of those living in that place.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:19 PM

9 posts, read 15,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
It's the exact same as everywhere else. NYC, Miami, Chicago, LA etc, etc. The reason its mentioned on the Hawaii forum so much is because of the difficulty in finding a place and the process of the quarantine. Those two things combined means a person is going to be doing some asking on the topic of dogs. Since few other places have the combination of dificulty in finding a place, a process that means you have to be sure when you decide to move with a pet, and the cost associated with all of this, yeah I would be asking to get the advice of those living in that place.

You are 100% correct, as I said in my thread. I had no idea of the headache process. It isnt a problem having a dog in a big city. There are so many questions because the process (as I am doing it now) is so elaborate compared to anything else in the US dealing with animals.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:32 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,723,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstier86 View Post
You are 100% correct, as I said in my thread. I had no idea of the headache process. It isnt a problem having a dog in a big city. There are so many questions because the process (as I am doing it now) is so elaborate compared to anything else in the US dealing with animals.
The process isn;t that unique and is actually one of the more staright forward ones when dealing with a official internationally certified "Rabbies Free Zone", just that most places aren't rabbies free so there isn;t any process. A person coming from Australia would find Hawaii's process so simple and painless that they would probably not understand the complaining about it. But they are use to more drastic processes so this would seem like a piece of cake.

One thing I tell people is that this may be your very first time doing this and it may also be your last. Its going to be a pain because everything about this is new and unknown so you spend more time and frustration because you have no expereince with it. I bet if yuo did this several times a year, after a while it would be just routine. But, it may be something you never have to do again, so don;t let it taint an otherwise good experience.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:05 PM

11 posts, read 17,991 times
Default Hawaii and dog people

Lol I am one of those people and I will explain my reasoning anyway. My reason is I want to move to Hawaii. Condos are easier to buy then houses. I've had my dogs for 8 years and can't part with them. See its not that hard to see. In my case I didn't think I would be moving to Hawaii for a long time yet or I wouldn't have got my dogs but situations change.

Deb

Old 04-04-2012, 06:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,998,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyitsdeb View Post
Lol I am one of those people and I will explain my reasoning anyway. My reason is I want to move to Hawaii. Condos are easier to buy then houses. I've had my dogs for 8 years and can't part with them. See its not that hard to see. In my case I didn't think I would be moving to Hawaii for a long time yet or I wouldn't have got my dogs but situations change.

Deb
Condos are not necessarily easier to buy than houses in Hawaii when you are getting a mortgage. FHA lending with 5% down is generally a challenge in Hawaii as we have so many people rent out the units it doesn't meet the owner occupied standard - ot the condo is in litigation for something and therefore requires 20% down. On the other hand, houses can generally be bought with FHA 5% down as long as the price is lower than $800K.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:10 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,239,379 times
We had our dog for years before we moved to Hawaii. I wouldn't have left my dog any sooner than I'd have dumped a family member to move here.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:46 AM

756 posts, read 716,531 times
About how much do you dog people spend per year on dog food, vet bills, dog stuff, etc?

Old 04-05-2012, 12:04 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,239,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader8 View Post
About how much do you dog people spend per year on dog food, vet bills, dog stuff, etc?
We usually fed out dog whatever we were eating for dinner. I just made an extra chicken breast or hamburger patty or what have you.
We left dry food out for him to snack on.

I'd say a couple hundred per year, except when we boarded him for vacations, then closer to a thousand.

And it was all money well spent!

Old 04-05-2012, 01:16 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,794,436 times
Well, the opposite also happens. I moved to Oahu with no animals and came back with a cat AND a dog. You never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: