Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 01:58 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times

Advertisements

Basically, in my observation, it seemed that military presense...(and I don't mean that negatively or positively...just in the passive sense)...seems to be heavily Schofield, Wahiawa, Mililani, Ewa, Ewa Beach, and Aiea.

I mean not just in bases, but seeing military personnal in various wal-marts, shopping malls, restaurants, etc.

I didn't see many in Waipahu....or anywhere in Honolulu - with the exception of Waikiki occassionally, hitting the bars at night.

I also didn't notice many at all over on the Windward side, although I'd assume with the Marine Base over there...maybe I just wasn't going through the places at those particular times, where they might go.

North Shore, it seems that soldiers defintely go up there for some surf once in awhile.

I also don't think they go up around the Leeward side too much...that I noticed. Beach-wise, probably heavily in the Ewa Beach or North Shore...it seems.

Anyways, am I right about these...or wrong about these. Where am I wrong or right? Are there parts of Honolulu where there is more military presense out and about....and I just didn't experience it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 02:50 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Well - its expensive on military pay to hang out outside of the base.

That said - head to The Shack in Mililani - definitely a military hangout.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:27 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Well - its expensive on military pay to hang out outside of the base.
Come to think of it, they do have some pretty amazing benefits.

There are American military bases all over Japan and South Korea, so I've been able to visit them from time to time with people I've known who have those privileges.

I'm absolutely amazed at all the prices, in every capacity, all the way around. Come to think of it, if I were in the military, I'd be shocked to see what civilians regularly pay for the same items. On that note, also drink prices on base for their bars and clubs, their movie theaters, everything. Just incredibly low-priced. Plus, they're fun too.

In short, because of that, I imagine it's not likely that most service personnel would be spending much money out and about throughout Oahu, unless they really had another purpose on it.

Maybe others can varify that more as well though.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:33 AM

140 posts, read 407,436 times
i think you're just not seeing it or know what to look for. i see a lot of military out and about on the way into work. but it depends on what time you leave and where you are leaving from. a lot actually live in town, but they tend to mix in w/ the diverse crowds. try going to dave n busters on a weekend. go to movie theaters.

i went to waianae to pick up grass sod, you'd be surprised how many i saw out there. we have so much military on island, the only place i think they don't live is rural windward side. from my experience i've known some to live as far as pupukea and kaaawa, although i imagine there are probably some in sunset.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:44 AM

431 posts, read 939,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Basically, in my observation, it seemed that military presense...(and I don't mean that negatively or positively...just in the passive sense)...seems to be heavily Schofield, Wahiawa, Mililani, Ewa, Ewa Beach, and Aiea.

I mean not just in bases, but seeing military personnal in various wal-marts, shopping malls, restaurants, etc.

I didn't see many in Waipahu....or anywhere in Honolulu - with the exception of Waikiki occassionally, hitting the bars at night.

I also didn't notice many at all over on the Windward side, although I'd assume with the Marine Base over there...maybe I just wasn't going through the places at those particular times, where they might go.

North Shore, it seems that soldiers defintely go up there for some surf once in awhile.

I also don't think they go up around the Leeward side too much...that I noticed. Beach-wise, probably heavily in the Ewa Beach or North Shore...it seems.

Anyways, am I right about these...or wrong about these. Where am I wrong or right? Are there parts of Honolulu where there is more military presense out and about....and I just didn't experience it?
There are loads of military on the Windward side, Tiger. I see them all the time, especially when shopping in Kaneohe. If I go to Ross' Dress for Less I can bet that the majority of shoppers in the checkout line are military wives.
You'll also find them in some of the pubs and restaurants here---Kailua Town Pub, Pinky's, and lots more.
There are also a lot of military personnel renting in Kailua and Kaneohe. I have neighbors down the street from me, military. Adorable guys, complete with pitbull puppies. More of the same further down the block, in a house owned by retired military. It's so common here. With rare exception, good neighbors.
I was out on the West side last week, Barber's point. Again, lots of military. Nice beach on Coral Sea Road, so very pretty. Ended up at that beach by total accident but it was so lovely.
Tiger, why are you asking?

Old 04-10-2012, 04:23 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,514,798 times
These are some of the places on Oahu you will not see many military people: Makaha, Waianae, Nanakuli and Waipahu. In Honolulu, the neighborhoods of Kapahulu, Kaimuki, Kahala, Aina Haina and good portions of Hawaii Kai.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:15 PM

48 posts, read 354,400 times
Military is all over but in general, central, leeward, and windward Oahu have high concentrations because that's where the bases are and it's also where there's huge tracks of housing availability (particularly leeward and central).

They wont be in economically depressed areas because the military provides very good amounts of housing allowances. So places with older, more dilipidated homes are not places they live in. You wont find any west of Liliha street in Honolulu, for example.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:10 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
You should keep in context that the entire military personnel in Hawaii is about 45,000 people or about 4% of the population. While I'm sure I run into military people - I haven't seen someone in uniform in over 2 years. There isn't that much military than people think.

This is for Debby

Military personnel (July, 2004): 45,567 military personnel in July 2004, or 3.5 percent of Hawaii's total population
  • Army 14,692
  • Navy & Marine Corps 13,179
  • Air Force 4,483
  • Coast Guard 1,170
  • Active Duty Military 32,354
  • Reserve and National Guard 12,043
  • Total Personnel 45,567

Old 05-12-2012, 04:52 AM

941 posts, read 1,966,663 times
Whtviper1: nice numbers, but they don't add up. Plus where's the link? Your hand counting doesn't, um, count.

Back on topic: I'm surprised it's so few. Lots of military contractors and civilian workers as well, though those are a mixed bag: not all are military-like (whatever that is), nor are they all transferred here. Also, reserve and nat'l guard tend to be local.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:28 AM

431 posts, read 939,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You should keep in context that the entire military personnel in Hawaii is about 45,000 people or about 4% of the population. While I'm sure I run into military people - I haven't seen someone in uniform in over 2 years. There isn't that much military than people think.

This is for Debby

Military personnel (July, 2004): 45,567 military personnel in July 2004, or 3.5 percent of Hawaii's total population
  • Army 14,692
  • Navy & Marine Corps 13,179
  • Air Force 4,483
  • Coast Guard 1,170
  • Active Duty Military 32,354
  • Reserve and National Guard 12,043
  • Total Personnel 45,567
I live in Kailua and I see service men and women in uniform almost every day. I also work with at least a few military dependants at any given time.
Bear in mind that actual members of the military are only one component of the military presence. Military dependants are a factor too.
For me, where I live, the military presence seems pretty impressive. Caravans of military vehicles, exercises on Bellows Beach, very cool aerial displays over Kailua Bay...I would imagine that those living in town wouldn't be privy to that stuff but geez, Kailua is only about ten or twelve miles from town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu