Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 07:54 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charne0922 View Post
Because of my research, I am worried about the impact that racism/localism will have on her job search. Is racism there really as bad as I hear?
I think a lot of what gets blamed on racism regarding job searches in Hawai'i is really what would be called cronyism in other places. Except that in Hawai'i it's largely based on the local concept of ohana, or extended family.

First, if there are 5 applications for a job, for instance, and one of those applicants is a distant cousin, guess who is getting the job?

Second, if there are 5 applicants for a job and none of them is a cousin, but one of them has lived on the island all her life, guess who is probably getting the job?

The high turnover among newcomers to the islands is a key factor. As another poster just reminded us, 50% of all people who move to Hawai'i leave at the end of a year, and by 2 years, 90% leave. So why hire somebody who probably won't be around for the long haul, when there are long-term residents looking for work too?

And for that matter, the same dynamic works in regards to social life too. That isn't racism, it's just people not wanting to get too heavily invested in relationships that aren't likely to last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 11:51 AM

12 posts, read 18,395 times
Default Rail

Aloha! Rail - work in setback progress!

If you know H1/H2/H3 then I don't see how you wouldn't want it. I think the rail being an eyesore bit is an overplayed hand...compared to what? The VOG of oil from the exhaust of stranded people at 6am gridlock at the H1/H2 merge? Or the concrete jungle that lines the leeward side from Ewa Beach to Koko Head? There's green as in the tarps of the homeless encampments of Waikiki parks/beaches?

I love Hawaii but I think people need to update their ideas of "paradise" from the 1950's or Jurassic park clips to the reality of capital and commerce. We don't grow pineapples anymore (or make anything) for a reason...

To end on a positive note - no new mega hotels went up to block another view...

Old 05-01-2012, 12:20 PM

12 posts, read 18,395 times
A lot of plain truth in your post. Not what people want to hear but it's accurate. I want to say that typical Hawaiian made friendships are 101% while you are here...even if you meet for one beach clean up, you get a hug that can be overwhelming for sure. You can spot "kama'aina - local & military" by how much gear and food we bring to a BBQ at the beach. You better bring enough to feed the whole UH football team...

Old 05-02-2012, 01:27 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,235,409 times
Longboards in front of the Marriott Beach Villas in Ko'Olina is a great beachfront bar. Great views of the setting sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu