Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,811 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was offered a job near fort shafter for around 85k and I have just arrived to Hawaii today from NYC. This is my first time to Hawaii. I'm sure I will be staying here for at least a year. Right now I'm in a hotel searching Craigslist but seems like finding an apartment is more difficult than in manhattan, although prices are much cheaper 8) . Yeay. I like high rises with balcony's (I lived on 43rd floor apartment in. Manhattan) Should I rent a car and check out neighborhoods, or find a place around Waikiki where my hotel is? My finance will be joining me in a couple of months, she is a teacher. What other resources are available to find apartments other than Craig's list? Also, what neighborhoods should I look into and which ones should I avoid. My monthly budget for rent/utilities is around 2k/month. Id like to keep commute under 45 min on average. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 05:19 PM

29 posts, read 62,143 times
We found that even though they post on craigslist, seems they do not really want to be talking to anyone or doing business. Takes forever for people to call you back. Our best luck was going to the condo's themselves and a lot of them have post it boards in the entryway. We live in Makiki, about a mile from waikiki maybe and we are on the 18th floor, have a pool, hot tub and sauna all bills paid. We love it here. There is Kukui plaza which is 4 buildings just off Nuuanu and Bertania, maybe? Just off Nuuanu anyway. Seems down Wailana Coffee house around there in Waikiki they had some post it boards as well. We have the name of a couple of agents that we use that handle some rentals if you want to check them out. I can private message them to you. Just let me know. Good luck!!

Old 05-12-2012, 06:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,951,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees555 View Post
Hi, I was offered a job near fort shafter for around 85k and I have just arrived to Hawaii today from NYC. This is my first time to Hawaii. I'm sure I will be staying here for at least a year. Right now I'm in a hotel searching Craigslist but seems like finding an apartment is more difficult than in manhattan, although prices are much cheaper 8) . Yeay. I like high rises with balcony's (I lived on 43rd floor apartment in. Manhattan) Should I rent a car and check out neighborhoods, or find a place around Waikiki where my hotel is? My finance will be joining me in a couple of months, she is a teacher. What other resources are available to find apartments other than Craig's list? Also, what neighborhoods should I look into and which ones should I avoid. My monthly budget for rent/utilities is around 2k/month. Id like to keep commute under 45 min on average. Thanks!
Can you elaborate on your difficulties? In Oahu - craigs is fine or try the newspaper. It is the weekend - don't be shocked if you don't get a lot responses on a Saturday.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:03 AM

2 posts, read 2,811 times
Hi jim503 thanks! Can u send some contact info of agents.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:39 AM

OK sent...hope it helps!!

Old 05-13-2012, 01:29 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,072,228 times
Go to where you work and start looking in that area. Find a building you like the location of and ask if they have any units available. Ask the other folks at work if they have any recommendations. Go out into the real world and follow the easiest path from work. Go out from where you work until you find the area you want to live in and look there.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:05 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,416,848 times
Default Aloha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees555 View Post
When I was looking for a rental I posted my own add on Craigslist and was surprised at the responses I received. I was able to pick and choose the areas being offered. Found good rentals available.
Koale

Old 05-13-2012, 04:40 PM

9 posts, read 21,396 times
I am somewhat running into the same issues as yankee with regards to cl. Jim, Would it be possible for you to forward the contacts you have to me as well? I am in a similar situation (young professional looking for a place close to downtown).

Also since you mentioned Kuikui Plaza, which is actually a building that I was looking at. Do you (or anyone else) have any comments about that building (eg good location, Landlord quality, Condition of building, safety of area, etc?)

Old 05-13-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelytraveler View Post
I am somewhat running into the same issues as yankee with regards to cl. Jim, Would it be possible for you to forward the contacts you have to me as well? I am in a similar situation (young professional looking for a place close to downtown).

Also since you mentioned Kuikui Plaza, which is actually a building that I was looking at. Do you (or anyone else) have any comments about that building (eg good location, Landlord quality, Condition of building, safety of area, etc?)
I do not know anything about that building, just that we wanted to live there. When we were looking last time, the units available were too high for us. Now we came back making more $$ but could not find any available or they would not return our calls, and we needed it with in days.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:58 PM

12 posts, read 30,133 times
I just moved here and so far like living in the Moana Pacific in Honolulu. It may be above your budget. My budget was originally about the same as yours but after looking at many places that were older, saw bugs, looked too dark, etc, I went with this building. I like the pool, the gym is ok (I'm not a gym person) and the building is pretty safe and secure. The building goes up to floor 48 or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: