Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 01:51 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,907 times

Advertisements

Oh OK, if he got a job there that makes sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 03:51 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,409 times
Heck, Hawai'i wasn't even on our radar until he started sending out resumes and got the job offer.

Oddly enough...this still makes me chuckle...it was entirely by accident. Someone told him to google a company and apply for a job. He did...and clicked on the wrong link and applied to the wrong company. Two days later he got the call that they wanted to interview him....he was like "Hawai'i???? Hawai'i???? Do we want to go there????"

So we read about 8 books, looked at dozens or even hundreds of websites. logged on here, talked to everyone we know who has lived or visited there and said...well hey, why not?

We don't even think about how far we have to move. Fact is, even if you're moving down the block, you still have to pack and unpack, right?

Old 06-02-2012, 05:56 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Debby, when will you arrive in Hawaii?

Old 06-02-2012, 06:14 PM

Fingers crossed for first week of August. That's when our lease begins. And, I have several reasons why I would like to spend the last week of July in S. Florida and we have to change planes there anyway for flights to HI. Fingers, paws and toes crossed, eyes too!!!

Old 06-02-2012, 06:23 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Why on earth would anyone choose to move to Hilo?
You ever hear the saying "Different strokes for different folks"? If we all liked the same things we'd be clumped together in a huge pile in one place, fighting to stay on the heap with others who wanted exactly the same thing.

Quote:
I know a guy who was living there and he was so happy whenever he visited his brother here, just to get out of the constant rain.
Wait. Stop. Think. You seem to be a relatively intelligent guy, despite all the things you've told us about yourself.

Why would you repeat something that so clearly is not true?

Does it rain often in Hilo? Yes, it rains at least a little bit 4 days out of 5, and overall a lot of water comes out of the sky. But mostly you get a quick rain in Hilo and its over. It dumps for 20 minutes then it's over. That's nowhere remotely close to constant rain.

Quote:
And he's used to bad weather because he's from Pittsburgh. Might as well live in Seattle or Juneau.
Never lived in Juneau, but I've lived in Seattle, and I find Hilo to be almost nothing like Seattle except that it is green and lush like Seattle is. Seattle is much greyer. Hilo is much warmer. Seattle has a crowded, fast-paced urban environment. Hilo is relaxed, easy, small-town.

For some of us, that's EXACTLY what we're looking for.

Last edited by OpenD; 06-02-2012 at 06:36 PM..

Old 06-02-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
You ever hear the saying "Different strokes for different folks"? If we all liked the same things we'd be clumped together in a huge pile in one place, fighting to stay on the heap with others who wanted exactly the same thing.
I said about the same thing and totally agree with you.

Quote:
Does it rain often in Hilo? Yes, it rains at least a little bit 4 days out of 5, and overall a lot of water comes out of the sky. But mostly you get a quick rain in Hilo and its over. It dumps for 20 minutes then it's over. That's nowhere remotely close to constant rain.
Sweetie has spent about five full days there, a day a week and so far loves the weather there. He hoofs it from the harbor into town and if the rain was a PITA he would have mentioned it.

Quote:
Hilo is relaxed, easy, small-town.

For some of us, that's EXACTLY what we're looking for.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:09 PM

113 posts, read 252,365 times
Debbie:

Have you found punaweb.org? Some of them meet the first Sunday of each month at Richardson's Beach in Hilo for Scuba Sunday. They seem very welcoming to newcomers. You are supposed to bring food and chairs, if you have them. It may be a good alternate source of information for you. It is mostly Puna and not Hilo, but I find it an excellent resource.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:13 PM

Yes Sady (Just teasin' ya because I'm DebbY), I've been on the mailing list for a while, they are indeed very nice people, thank you!!!

Old 06-02-2012, 11:06 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Can you stay on the ship with him when it's in Honolulu? Then you could live in Hilo and fly over to be with him in Honolulu inexpensively when the boat is there so each of you could have what you want. Finding rentals for dogs is a bit more difficult in Honolulu and it will cost more to live there so Hilo would be better to live in. It would be nice if you were with him in Honolulu, though, guys can get into trouble over there without a lot of effort.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:10 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
guys can get into trouble over there without a lot of effort.
Is that really true though?

I'm not 'on the market' for dating. But I'd always heard that Honolulu was a bad place to be as a single guy. Mostly because Oahu has a ton of military personnel everywhere (skewing the ratio to having a whole lot more men around, and younger stronger ones as well).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu