Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 10:03 AM

15 posts, read 28,103 times

Advertisements

Much Aloha for the advice and tips from everyone. Long-time lurker here.

We have signed a lease on a townhouse in Makakilo. We are traveling next week to get the keys and start furnishing it. We can only stay one week before returning back to Tacoma, and hope to be on Oahu permanently as of August.

We plan on buying a mattress at Costco, along with tv, and vacuum, dishes, that kind of heavy stuff. But...we were planning on packing only our Hawaii clothes, shorts, tshirts and slippers, but since that will leave us with three more potential free suitcases to fly with (premier club/ha), I am wondering if we should buy little stuff here and take on plane with us?

Stuff like:
Shampoo/Razors/Sheets/French Press/ladles spatula/plunger/toilet brush

You get the idea--Worth it or not? Will I save any money? Like I said, we would otherwise probably not take 150 pounds of luggage with us, but would not mind saving a few bucks where I can.

Mahalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 03:47 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,938,193 times
Buy that stuff on Oahu - price is same at Walmart/Sears in Oahu as on the mainland for that stuff. Only place worth buying some stuff might be Oregon where everything is tax free.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:58 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,468,589 times
Sales tax in Tacoma is 8.8% IIRC, and Oahu excise tax is 4.5%, and the only product I KNOW is a lot cheaper in Tacoma is firebricks. So I'm thinking you're not likely to save much, if anything.

However, what might make it worth doing is the time factor. You could take your time to shop for what you like in the way of sheets, towels, pillows, etc. in Tacoma, vs. rushing around trying to find what you need during your week on the island.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:29 PM

48,563 posts, read 34,935,042 times
I'm moving from Oahu to San Francisco..... I sent all that type of stuff in flat rate boxes via USPS.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:33 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,101,718 times
I would say that if you won’t use/need it in the time that you will be back in Tacoma before you move - bring it with you.

When we moved, we didn’t think about the fact that it took years to pick out the NICE things we had. Things like a nice wine bottle opener, solid cooking utensils, high quality knives, sturdy pots and pans, high thread count sheets, etc. Sure, you can get nice things here, but replacing those nice things that fit our personalities is still a work in progress…over a year later.

I think you have a real advantage because you will be here some time before moving. You will have the opportunity to go scouting at Target, Wal Mart, Costco, etc to see what kind of stuff is available, if you like it, and how much it costs.

I was a bit shocked at how much the initial costs were to get even the basic things squared away when we first arrived. Not so much because of the difference of prices here vs WA, but because you usually don't just go buy everything at once. Reminded me of moving out for the first time.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:51 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,055,668 times
Dthraco, good post, I agree but couldn't give you rep points yet, sorry.

We have the same dilemma coming up...

Generic stuff will be repurchased in Hilo. Although, we thought we'd ditch nice towels and buy new, but towels will make nice packing material instead of buying bubble wrap.

Our wonderful kitchen toys that took a while to collect and were spendy will be sent parcel post insured. Wrapped in towels.

House furnished but kitchen not, so some things...some utensils, silverware, a few plates, bowls, pots, etc. will be sent priority mail and will arrive before we do!

Sending a few books, CDs and movies media mail.

Taking three suitcases each: clothing, dive gear, stuff for the dogs, laptops and cameras as carry-on and two dogs coming as carry-on.

Here's a good rule of thumb: if you have not used or worn something in 12 months, it's obvious you don't need it.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:54 PM

48,563 posts, read 34,935,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyDiver View Post
Here's a good rule of thumb: if you have not used or worn something in 12 months, it's obvious you don't need it.
That's why I have a fully packed 20 yard container. /lol

Old 06-09-2012, 07:52 AM

Much Mahalo to all of you for your help! I went to Fred Meyer with a couple of discount coupons for 20 and 10 percent off on housewares yesterday and at least have enough stuff now to be able to eat and use the potty in the new place without too much more shopping on island, other than a bed from Costco on our way "home" from the airport! Probably ways about 50 pounds total.

Hoping to have a saved at least a little bit o money, and a whole bunch of island time!

Old 06-09-2012, 08:21 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,468,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermissy View Post
Much Mahalo to all of you for your help!
He mea iki! (A little thing i.e. you're welcome) And "much mahalo" is actually mahalo nui loa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermissy View Post
Hoping to have a saved at least a little bit o money, and a whole bunch of island time!
Of the two, I'm sure you'll appreciate the latter the most.

Enjoy your week!

Old 06-09-2012, 06:18 PM

OpenD - Mahalo Nui Loa, I appreciate all you have shared
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu