Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 02:37 PM

83 posts, read 139,437 times

Advertisements

I've been reading quite a few threads. And would like some specific info. My husband is a physician, so he would make above average and we could probably afford to buy a home and possibly send our oldest child to private highschool if need be.

Can anyone quantify what bad school system means? We are in South Dakota and I think just ranked last and my son 15, is doing fine. I graduated from highschool from here and from a tough liberal arts college and did well. Is it a lack of accelerated and ap classes? Are there alerntives such as taking college classes? What is the average cost of private? Are there any home school cooperatives?

I'm a stay at home mom and can home school my other young children. But feel some socialization is needed. Which takes me back to why the school systems suck. By no means did I let my kids just go to school and not do anything to help them. I feel that I am also a huge contributor to their education.

Also, we are into tennis and orchestra. My oldest plays the cello. Do you have a youth orchestra? Is it feasible to still get cello lessons and do tennis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 03:07 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Most of the private schools charge nearly $20,000/year for tuition - I've seen one as low as $11,000 - but the average is upper teens.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:18 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patish View Post
I've been reading quite a few threads. And would like some specific info. My husband is a physician, so he would make above average and we could probably afford to buy a home and possibly send our oldest child to private highschool if need be.

Can anyone quantify what bad school system means? We are in South Dakota and I think just ranked last and my son 15, is doing fine. I graduated from highschool from here and from a tough liberal arts college and did well. Is it a lack of accelerated and ap classes? Are there alerntives such as taking college classes? What is the average cost of private? Are there any home school cooperatives?

I'm a stay at home mom and can home school my other young children. But feel some socialization is needed. Which takes me back to why the school systems suck. By no means did I let my kids just go to school and not do anything to help them. I feel that I am also a huge contributor to their education.

Also, we are into tennis and orchestra. My oldest plays the cello. Do you have a youth orchestra? Is it feasible to still get cello lessons and do tennis?
There are some decent public schools. The communities of Mililani (pretty crowded); Moanalua/Salt Lake and Kahala/Aina Haina/Hawaii Kai all have decent public schools; although Kaiser (Hawaii Kai) High Hchool is rated below Mililani, Moanalua (Moanalua and Salt Lake) and Kalani (Kahala and Aina Haina) high schools. But it really depends on where your husband plans on having his practice that may be the deciding factor. The Private schools are quite nice and as whtviper1 stated they are all in the neighborhood of high teens to low 20s for cost.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the input. The realtor directed me to Mililani, but didn't say anything about the other areas.

Yikes, that is high tuition for private. If we rented, we could afford private on the low end unless we got to a decent highschool. Hmmm. There are a lot of locum tenems (temp) jobs. We may have to do one for a month and then decide what to do. Are there any communities with decent schools with a commute of 40 minutes or less to Honolulu? I know my husband's dream job would be to work for the medical school and do telemedicine.

Does anyone know about youth orchestras and tennis? Are lessons crazy high too?

Surprisingly, Our cost of living isn't much lower here in South Dakota. Of course our house would be way smaller on hawaii, but we wouldn't need so much space since wed mostly be outdoors. Private schools seem higher. Are there any small religious schools that are less expensive?

Old 01-27-2013, 12:10 PM

Keep in mind - most private schools are closer to $20,000 with a small number under $15,000/year - but, it isn't a given that you can just attend the cheaper private schools - it is a competitive process at they have caps on attendance.

If you want a 40 minute or less commute to Honolulu, that eliminates Mililani - typical commute to Honolulu is 60 minutes and is often more depending on weather or an accident. And, if you are taking about UH medical school - they commute from Mililani would be closer to 90 minutes.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:09 PM

48,530 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
There are some decent public schools. The communities of Mililani (pretty crowded); Moanalua/Salt Lake and Kahala/Aina Haina/Hawaii Kai all have decent public schools; although Kaiser (Hawaii Kai) High Hchool is rated below Mililani, Moanalua (Moanalua and Salt Lake) and Kalani (Kahala and Aina Haina) high schools. But it really depends on where your husband plans on having his practice that may be the deciding factor. The Private schools are quite nice and as whtviper1 stated they are all in the neighborhood of high teens to low 20s for cost.
I have an issue with Mililani High. My friends 15 year came from Missouri and said the school was the worst she had seem from an academic standpoint. She was way ahead of them. She had to be put in private school.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:44 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I have an issue with Mililani High. My friends 15 year came from Missouri and said the school was the worst she had seem from an academic standpoint. She was way ahead of them. She had to be put in private school.
Okay, that may have been the case for your friend and others. I'm basing this on my friends as well as school ratings. The one thing I would say about Mililani is that it's been crowded for years.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:50 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
I hope your husband is doing his research too. The days when a doctor could just hop off the plane and walk into a job are long over. Good luck to you.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:33 PM

I think docs have a relatively easy time getting employment. The shock they have is how much less money they make than the mainland.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:14 AM

Lol. My husband would interview first. We certainly wouldnt just arrive without a job. He has a good track record of teaching and already doing telemedicine. Meaning he can live anywhere and work from home to supplement a lower paying job. Also, there is a serious shortage of psychiatrists everywhere especially in forensics. (Prison).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu