Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 11:38 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,353,566 times

Advertisements

All these replies are from people who know a LOT more about Oahu than I. But we moved here 2 months ago. I'm retired military and now work DoD on Pearl Harbor/Hickam (the job offer that brought me here). My other half is a contractor and got a pretty good job w/in the first few weeks (and turned down a couple of others). We are so thankful for how things are working out. We sold everything to finance the move - actually one property still hasn't sold.

It would be really simple if not for one thing.... His 16yr old daughter joined us. Make no mistake, I love her as you love your children, but as you're finding out, there's a challenge and a bit of luck involved making their arrangements.

We are in Ewa Beach at a formerly-military-housing area. It's VERY affordable for the size and amenities, if you ignore the whole being-in-the-flight-path issue. There are areas that are more peaceful than others in this development and we are not in those areas. If we got out at 5:30 the commute wouldn't be as bad but it's not quite as bad as LA. Ok it's WAY better than LA... seriously... you can only judge if you've been through it. This place has an elementary school on property (and 2 day cares) and security patrols continually. It's gated and requires a pass to activate the gate while the guards look on and closely screen those who "forgot" their pass. If you can get onto the base, you can kayak to Hickam.

I wish so bad we could be in the K-bay area. Traffic coming in H3 isn't bad. We stayed there our first week here. I've seen some small houses that would be fine rentals for the 2 of us but not with the teenager. And the beaches there are amazing, as those lovely pictures illustrate.

I'd try to pick a school where your son won't be the only white kid, though in Memphis that was the case for my son in a couple of instances.... He may get along fine but there's prejudism here, no doubt. Being in a male dominated field, I'm used to "the looks" but it bugs my other half and his daughter. There are some nice people here who don't care what color you are, if you're a decent person. I was working with 3 people I didn't know and asked if they were from Hawaii and they all laughed and said yes but none of them were Hawaiin. So how can they judge? I do my 8 and hit the gate.

I love my job but won't stay here forever. You might get lucky with finding a home - it would be nice to get one you could leave and rent to tourists by the week - like a condo downtown or nearby. Cookie cutter homes are everywhere, not my cup of tea. My other half works for a real estate company - and he's a contractor by trade. Let us know if you guys take a trip out here to find a place and I'll talk him into going along to check structure if you want. Termites and spalling are big issues in structures here. (so much for Quick Reply)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 11:47 AM

btw, if you have a dog, get his bloodwork done YESTERDAY!

Old 03-04-2013, 11:48 AM

83 posts, read 139,585 times
Im starting to understand why there is a healthcare shortage in hawaii and florida. We havent been notified one way or another about a second interview and another hospital hasnt even contacted us that is quite desperate. Im not sure what this means. Theyre either on island time or they are messed up. We are just waiting and seeing what happens. Im sure well have to scramble last minute for a can you be here in a week job offer. Sigh. This is harder on my husband than me. My parents moved us too much so im used to all that goes with it and my husband is a ball of nerves.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:15 PM

83 posts, read 139,585 times
Cookie cutter homes dont bother me. Spending all our disposable income on remodeling does. Weve learned the hard way.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:07 PM

The cookie cutters look very pristine from the outside. I should take some pictures. It's mind boggling how identical entire neighborhoods are. You'd have to hang a flag outside for your kids to find their way home. A friend wants to put in a sliding door and I don't think her HOA is going to allow it. (cookie cutter)
Hope you hear something soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu