Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 12:46 PM

431 posts, read 940,983 times

Advertisements

Telemedicine? That's interesting. I wasn't aware that there were opportunities in telemedicine here. I've worked where telemedicine capabilities are in place but the physicians that use it are physicians already working in our units. We have big screens with webcams and earphones and the docs communicate with docs on other islands, up close and personal. Quite cool, actually, and a great resource for Hawaii's underserved areas.
Or do you mean that he would do telemedicine for areas other than those in Hawaii?
It is way more expensive to live here than many think, especially with kids. And yes, in general, the public schools really do suck. Lots of reasons why, and listing some of them might incite a flame war here. Hey, facts are facts and some are truly sad but facts nonetheless.
I am also thinking of the issues involved in pulling your 15-year-old away from friends and plunging him into a totally different lifestyle. How many kids do you have, if I may ask?
A question...why do you want to move here? Have you spent much time here at all?
I would rent first. Give life here a trial run before committing to home ownership. If it doesn't work out, you move on without too much of a hassle.
JMHO, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 04:55 PM

83 posts, read 139,585 times
Telemedicine to other states. Were planning a trip this spring. These are initial planning stages. We have four kids. Id homeschool my younger kids if schooling was an issue. A move would be eight months to two years from now. We would rent first. Weve moved enough to know its good to wait. Moving my teen is a consideration. We r weighing the pros and cons. We have four boys that are mobkeys. We cant go outside most of the year. Its awful. Moving is for our sanity.lol. seriously. Were not close to our families and we are not attached to our state. Moving because south dakota is awful andd our school scores are worse in some areas. Very disturbing.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:24 PM

Hawaii is also safer than other areas we were looking at. I think its wonderful hawaii has low violent crime. So cultural diversity, multicultural cuisines, stable temps for me and kids and lots to do outside.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:22 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,956,927 times
My friend is a GP and she can't afford to send her kids to college. Doctor's really don't make that much, unless they have a specialty.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:19 AM

GP have it rough. Hopefully that changes soon. I dont even know how they pay back student loans on their salaries. Weve found decent pay so far. Some as a civilian on a military base. Has your friend looked into medical writing. It pays decent and might help her out on her downtime. My husband is always on the lookout for work besides in the hospital.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:57 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patish View Post
I dont even know how they pay back student loans on their salaries.
They can't, that is why there is such a doctor shortage - especially on the outer islands.

Average salary for an experienced GP is under $200,000 in Honolulu - which to an average person sounds like a lot, until you factor in those student loans. They see 4 to 6 patients an hour - and often work 6 days a week.

A newly minted out of scholl GP makes typically makes under $150,000.

Subtract a lot from the above numbers for outer islands.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:17 AM

My husband has been asked to interview. Geez that was fast. They want to see him in a few days.lol. crazy. It would start in july. Well push it to a few weeks. Itd be in honolulu. Where is a reasonable place to live with a 30/40 minute commute. And r there charter/private schools nearby. Were not looking at the best. Were from south dakota and can make the best out of anything within reason. There were some nice smaller church affiliated schools that werent super high and about the same price as here.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:54 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,832,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patish View Post
My husband has been asked to interview. Geez that was fast. They want to see him in a few days.lol. crazy. It would start in july. Well push it to a few weeks. Itd be in honolulu. Where is a reasonable place to live with a 30/40 minute commute. And r there charter/private schools nearby. Were not looking at the best. Were from south dakota and can make the best out of anything within reason. There were some nice smaller church affiliated schools that werent super high and about the same price as here.
If you're still looking at Mililani, then the public schools are good there. But if you just want private and church affiliated, then Hanalani School has a good reputation.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:56 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
But....keep in mind, Mililani is not a 30-40 minute commute to/from Honolulu. Typical is 60 minutes or more.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:38 PM

That is a good info. Thanks! Its good info.for my husband who is the dreamer who hates traffic. Me, I thought l.a.traffic was fun, sick i know. It would save us money avoiding private. Any other towns that are close with good schools. I was told ewa beach would be 90 minute commute by realtor. Can anyone recommend a good realtor who knows the area and goes above and beyond. The one i talked to was ok, but i like someone who will work for me and get me the info. I need. I have a sales background, so I may be a litte picky.

Last edited by patish; 01-30-2013 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu