Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 08:54 PM

431 posts, read 940,925 times

Advertisements

I really have a hard time with the "pets under 20 pounds" thing when I see that sort of restriction on a rental ad.
The dogs I've owned have ranged from nine pounds to 120 pounds (mini-poodle to bull mastiff). The last two dogs I've owned, including my present muttley, have weighed over sixty pounds.
Without a doubt the biggest terrors were the nine-pound mini-poodle and a bichon who tipped the scales at twelve pounds. Sassy, bossy, and might I add, much tougher to house-train than the bigger breeds. The only time my 65-pound Aussie crapped in the house is when she had explosive diarrhea. As I was headed out the door to go to work. She was mortified. I think if she could have found a way to clean it up herself, she would have. I do believe my bull mastiff would have slit her own throat before peeing or crapping in the house. The little guys? All through their lives, as house-trained as they appeared to be, I would find "gifts" every now and then, with no signs of remorse. What the heck is it with those small breeds, anyway?
I loved them all dearly but there is no way, if I were a landlord, that I would assume that a smaller dog is better-behaved than a bigger one. IME, often quite the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 01:03 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,102,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
The only time my 65-pound Aussie crapped in the house is when she had explosive diarrhea.
Good lord. I just spit coffee out my nose when I read this. Funny!
(though probably not funny at the time it happened)

Old 06-15-2012, 05:02 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,815,315 times
As a landlord, if I caught a tenant bring in pets when the lease had said "no pets", I'd be (1) mad , and (2) suspicious that they would lie about other things. It can be really helpful if you need your landlord to believe you about something to do with the rental unit, and tossing trust away is not a good idea.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:37 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,943,614 times
I think a lot of landlords would move to evict you - use your entire security deposit to clean the place/replace carpets - and sue you if the place went unrented or had other costs.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:13 PM

507 posts, read 918,635 times
Has anyone ever offered a landlord a substantial extra security deposit in exchange for their cats? e.g. at least an extra month's rent.

From my research so far, transporting my cats and finding pet friendly housing will probably be even more difficult than the employment situation. My wife and I have excellent credit, owned our house here, professional jobs, and stable finances and reserves.

On CL and the MLS, there are certainly properties available that allow a cat or two, but it's well below 50% of listings. I understand most condo associations have strict rules and board approval -- I'm thinking mostly about individual landlords with houses/duplexes.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooliemonster View Post
Has anyone ever offered a landlord a substantial extra security deposit in exchange for their cats? e.g. at least an extra month's rent.

From my research so far, transporting my cats and finding pet friendly housing will probably be even more difficult than the employment situation. My wife and I have excellent credit, owned our house here, professional jobs, and stable finances and reserves.

On CL and the MLS, there are certainly properties available that allow a cat or two, but it's well below 50% of listings. I understand most condo associations have strict rules and board approval -- I'm thinking mostly about individual landlords with houses/duplexes.
It is illegal in Hawaii to give a higher security deposit - most landlords don't want to go down that route because if you have a dispute later the landlord it can get problematic.

A different route is negotiating a higher rent. Often you don't have to.

When I rented previously - I'd write to the ads I was interested in even if the pets ok box wasn't checked and in my email noted I had 2 cats and if they would consider it. I got a lot of positive responses back. I didn't bother with the ads that explicitely said "No pets"

Don't be shy in your email to state your credit score, your home ownership, etc - you can just copy and paste from ad to ad.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:06 PM

507 posts, read 918,635 times
Thankyou for the response. I had been wondering if a "high quality tenant" can bend the rules on pets in some cases. Your experience doesn't seem to be atypical.

We're a little guilty of being "cat collectors" here in Houston (long stories..) but hope to be down to 3 cats by a planned move in 2014.. currently have 5. I know that even 3 is really pushing it for a move across the globe, but, we'll find a way to make it work..

Old 06-20-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooliemonster View Post
Thankyou for the response. I had been wondering if a "high quality tenant" can bend the rules on pets in some cases. Your experience doesn't seem to be atypical.

We're a little guilty of being "cat collectors" here in Houston (long stories..) but hope to be down to 3 cats by a planned move in 2014.. currently have 5. I know that even 3 is really pushing it for a move across the globe, but, we'll find a way to make it work..
I think you are going to have an extremely difficult time if you say you have 3 cats. In your letter say you have 2 well behaved cats - and sneak the other one in. Your landlord has to give you notice to enter so it isn't like you are getting inspected all the time - but you need at least permission for a cat, preferably 2 cats.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:12 PM

14 posts, read 21,263 times
I'm getting worried. I am moving there and I have 2 dogs. 1 is a small ****zu (~20 pounds) and the other is a great dane mix (~120 pounds). I thought the hard part was going to be getting them there from Atlanta.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:14 PM

14 posts, read 21,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaAtl View Post
I'm getting worried. I am moving there and I have 2 dogs. 1 is a small ****zu (~20 pounds) and the other is a great dane mix (~120 pounds). I thought the hard part was going to be getting them there from Atlanta.
Wow my dog's breed was censored ***zu is s h i t z u LOL. let see if that works
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu