Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 03:58 PM

507 posts, read 917,959 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure I'd sign a lease before seeing a place in person. As others suggested, I'd certainly start out in a weekly rental while visiting lease properties. And buy 3k in furniture before even visiting? Then flip out and leave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 04:14 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,358,757 times
Maybe it's too late for you, but here is a suggestion for the future and others who might need to move into a place they haven't personally seen.
A few years back, I moved to Mexico to try it out as a retirement place. I went on a forum for the area I was looking at and made friends with another American woman my age who had moved there. When I was about to decide on a rental sight unseen, I asked her if she would go and check it out for me. She did, gave it her seal of approval so I took it. It made all the difference to have someone with nothing to gain go and check it out on my behalf.

I offered to do this a couple of times on this forum and someone actually took me up on it once. I checked out three different apartment complexes and gave him the feedback he needed.

People love to help out in situations like this.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:40 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,873,541 times
Interesting. I have an apartment in Waikiki for rent that I placed on Craigslist. Multiple emails from someone that doesn't want me to show to anyone until they talk to me. My phone is off island as theirs is as they are on family business on the mainland. They have Hawaii government jobs and will rent long term for 5 years and want to do the deed. I have a NAME email and a phone number. My place does look nice from the pics. They make arrangements to call and I tell them I will not rent to them sight unseen.. They want to Skype blah blah blah. I want a happy tenant. How can I ensure they are a happy tenant without meeting them and them seeing the place? So he's gonna fly out in the next couple of days (dang, I paid over $800 with three weeks notice, they'll probably pay at least $1800 for one) so it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I informed them of a pet friendly short term rental (they seemed to know the rules as I travel with my dogs so I know the process) I asked the places they lived before and they knew the building names and streets. Told them I'd work with them but NO way would do something ONLY from a distance. I usually have 4+ people wanting the place within a week and rent within two after references.

Other than a vacation rental, WHY rent something sight unseen?

Old 06-20-2012, 11:12 PM

507 posts, read 917,959 times
Would it be worth the effort to acquire a Hawaii area code prepaid SIM before I start calling potential landlords, employers, etc.?

Old 06-20-2012, 11:30 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,907 times
Yes.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:44 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooliemonster View Post
Would it be worth the effort to acquire a Hawaii area code prepaid SIM before I start calling potential landlords, employers, etc.?
People who don't live here will tell you yes, you need an 808 - I live here - hire dozens of people every year - it doesn't matter on Oahu. Outer Islands - sure. Oahu - no. I've kept my 415 area code - and gasp - at least a third of my phone list for work have non-808 area codes.

More importantly - you need a local address - you need to be physically on the island. Employers want to know they can meet you on short notice - they don't care about your cell phone area code.

If you aren't on the island - no point of a 808 phone. Worthless.

Last edited by whtviper1; 06-21-2012 at 12:41 AM..

Old 06-21-2012, 12:19 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,031,991 times
$387.00 a night at the marriot is outragious. You must have money to burn. I myself would never move to hawaii due to the weather & high cost of living but i may someday visit the island. Why dont you like living in seattle ? Seattle would be my #1 choice to relocate.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:41 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,812,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
$387.00 a night at the marriot is outragious. You must have money to burn. I myself would never move to hawaii due to the weather & high cost of living but i may someday visit the island. Why dont you like living in seattle ? Seattle would be my #1 choice to relocate.
OK, we will take note that you don't want to move here but might visit someday.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:55 AM

Too bad your trip went so badly. Lessons for others:

1) Do NOT rent sight unseen.
2) Mainland/absentee landlords are required to have a Hawaii rental agent on the same island as the unit. if you are dealing directly with a mainland landlord, they are already showing that they will break Hawaii's laws regarding rentals. "D. Absentee Landlord's Agent. An absentee landlord shall designate an agent to act on the landlord's behalf. The agent must reside on the same island as the rental unit."
3) When in a pinch for a place to stay, google is your friend. [Priceline, etc., can give prices for a wide range of lodging.]
4) Before moving to Hawaii as a renter, check out the Landlord/Tenant code online.

For others who might be reading this thread in contemplation of moving to Hawaii, don't "not" move here because of the bad experience of the OP. But take heed of the lessons to be learned.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooliemonster View Post
Probably no need. Many newcomers people keep their old cell phones with mainland area codes until their contract is up, so it is not out of the ordinary to run across mainland area codes in use here. About the only problem you will have is from those who don't have a long-distance plan, and they won't pay to make a long-distance call. For a big employer, that won't be a problem. And for a landlord who doesn't have long distance, you can always arrange for a time(s) the you will call them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: