Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2012, 12:47 PM

7 posts, read 12,525 times

Advertisements

I first want to thank anyone who gives us input on this thread. My husband and I are strongly considering moving to Oahu with our 16 year old son. We lost a 16 year old son two years ago to suicide and we need to make a change. We are fully aware that our grief will follow us. We vacationed on the North Shore last August and have not been able to shake that it is the change we need. I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder as well, and I have always felt better being where there is a lot of sunshine. We live in Indiana. We would probably home school our son through an accredited program that would give him a diploma at graduation time. He is very cooperative about the move, but only concerned about going to a public school. He has attended a charter Montessori school, and we cannot afford private school.
The question I mainly have is that we do not want to live right in a big city, so how far out can we move without having more than about an hour commute? We love the North Shore over Waikiki. It is just our speed. We know we would probably have to have jobs elsewhere so we were wondering what some of the most popular cities are that are still out a little ways? Any helpful information would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 01:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Kaneohe, Kailua, Hawaii Kai are your best bets with a commute in the 30-45 minute range. The downsides with Kailua and Hawaii Kai is they are expensive areas to live. Kalama Valley is a little less expensive and also an option and the commute is getting closer to 1 hour from there. Kaneohe is a little more affordable.

Going west of downtown Honolulu doesn't get you very far within a 1 hour commute (or far enough you aren't in a big city). Mililani (only 17 miles away) in summer typically has a 45-60 minute commute in the summer and definitely over an hour the rest of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu