Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 01:37 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times

Advertisements

Repeating my recommendation to hire a lawyer to set it up for you.

Doing a search for something else, it looks like what you would need would be a "Motor Carrier" permit. $30 to apply, 200K of liability insurance, keep a list of your tarriffs on file (what you charge per trip), and your name and PUC number on your vehicle, Which means you would need a PUC number.

Probably you would want a business name and that has to be applied for. Plus whatever paperwork you need to collect taxes.

There are a bunch of rules about where you can park and how you maintain your car, and who you can refuse service to. None of it looks incomprehensible.

It really doesn't look too difficult. Whether you can make money doing it, I don't know. But you could certainly get the business set up legally with not too much work.

Oh yes. $1,000 fine if they catch you doing it without the proper license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 10:31 AM

257 posts, read 491,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmike View Post
Hi,

I've got a car and lots of free time, and was wondering if it might be possible to make some money serving as a driver. I was thinking of putting an ad on Craigslist offering rides to/from the airport to anywhere on the island, as well as giving possible island tours (I've got a lot of experience driving all over Oahu). Are there any legal considerations I should be aware of? I've noticed that some personal driver ads on CL use the term "donation" when referring to charges, and I wonder if this is due to some law requiring a special licence for drivers providing rides for cash (or maybe because they want to avoid having to worry about income tax). Any advice would be appreciated. Mahalo
To answer your question, no, probably not but good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu