Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 04:30 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Other way around.
I have a license, adress, pay taxes and vote in Hawaii.

I'm just not there enough and unfortunatly will be dropping my lease in September.
You have some things to consider when you give up your physical residence in Hawaii.

You cannot register to vote in Hawaii without a physical address in Hawaii.

http://hawaii.gov/elections/forms/voter_application.pdf

Your bank will require a physical address - but can send mail to mailing address. This is to stop money laundering.

Your drivers license will require a physical address. In case you are bad guy - they want to know where to pick you up.

etc, etc.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 08:38 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,074,358 times
What do people do who go to school on the mainland?
(assuming you dont live with your parents)

Old 07-31-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Here are some examples in this link where one is still considered a Hawaii Resident even without a physical presence - unfortunately, it doesn't address things like drivers license, voter registration, etc - perhaps for those things if you are considered a Hawaii resident based on the link provided you can provide out of state physical presence for those things.

http://1040abroad.net63.net/docs/sta...0residency.pdf

Old 07-31-2012, 09:32 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,701,575 times
Quote:
If they don't have a physical address on Hawaii, they are no longer a Hawaii resident. Most use, parents, relatives or friends addresses as their addresss. There are some special exemptions and alternatives for students, missionaries, humanitarian workers, etc., who are temporary away from their residence, but they still must have that physical location.

From Hawaii state law a resident is a person who has a physical domicile in the state and is residing in the state. A domicile is a legally recognized, true and fixed premise for where you reside. You can;t reside inside the actual P.O. box, or some remailing service slot or a private mail box.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Here are some examples in this link where one is still considered a Hawaii Resident even without a physical presence - unfortunately, it doesn't address things like drivers license, voter registration, etc - perhaps for those things if you are considered a Hawaii resident based on the link provided you can provide out of state physical presence for those things.

http://1040abroad.net63.net/docs/sta...0residency.pdf
Perfect!

It has a specific section for people who are out of state for employment.

I like the: "
[LEFT]If, however, an individual is in Hawaii
to improve the individual's health and the[/LEFT]
individual's illness is of such a character as to require a long or indefinite period to recuperate"

I get pale and cranky if I don't get to Sandy beach on a regular basis.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:02 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,701,575 times
Quote:
Perfect!

It has a specific section for people who are out of state for employment.
But you still must have that domicile residence; meaning a physical location you call your home. Thats the clincher is that without a physical location you can point to and call your home, all the exemptions don't apply. If you have a home on hawaii, you basically have to give up and meet the non resident criteria not to be considered a resident, but withoiut a physical place to park your butt, you have little ability to claim residency in your case.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
But you still must have that domicile residence; meaning a physical location you call your home. Thats the clincher is that without a physical location you can point to and call your home, all the exemptions don't apply. If you have a home on hawaii, you basically have to give up and meet the non resident criteria not to be considered a resident, but withoiut a physical place to park your butt, you have little ability to claim residency in your case.
How do the guys in the tents do it?

Old 07-31-2012, 11:46 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
Maybe we just do it different on the Big Island, but I'm looking at my Hawai'i driver's license right now, and it definitely has my PO Box on it. Only.

And I have a buddy in Kurtistown who has lived in one place for 25 years, and when I asked him for his address to put into my GPS his reply was "I don't know. I've never used it." He's got a PO Box, that's it.

A lot of communities on the BI have no mail delivery, and all the residents get free mailboxes instead. All I had to do was show my electric bill (addressed to map 7, pole 5, or somesuch) to get it.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Maybe we just do it different on the Big Island, but I'm looking at my Hawai'i driver's license right now, and it definitely has my PO Box on it. Only.

And I have a buddy in Kurtistown who has lived in one place for 25 years, and when I asked him for his address to put into my GPS his reply was "I don't know. I've never used it." He's got a PO Box, that's it.

A lot of communities on the BI have no mail delivery, and all the residents get free mailboxes instead. All I had to do was show my electric bill (addressed to map 7, pole 5, or somesuch) to get it.
Your license can have a mailing address - however:

At some point you gave the DMV a real physical location - from the Big Island site:

Proof of Residency – all documents must show driver’s name and current address
  • Utility bill
  • Residential rental agreement
  • Bank statement (dated not more than two months from date of application)
  • Hawaii vehicle registration (dated not more than thirty days from date of application)
  • Paycheck/stub (dated not more than two months from date of application)
County of Hawaii - Drivers License General Information

You can't prove residency with just a PO Box. If your electric bill says Pole 5, map 7 - they know where to find you. It is a physical location.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:32 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
Yeah, but once you qualify for the license, from there out they use the mailing address, for renewals, etc. And when I got mine, they made it on the spot and I walked out with the laminated final version in my pocket. But now they give you a paper copy and the permanent license is mailed to you a couple of weeks later, to the only address they can mail it to if you are rural, your PO Box.

I suppose it's possible they have a "Do Not Forward" restriction on that mailing. I won't be able to check that for a few more years until mine comes up for renewal.

But if so, I wonder if that would apply to Premium Forwarding, which is normally used for vacation type forwarding, and does not generate an "Address Service" notice to the mailer like regular forwarding does?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu