Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 08:29 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times

Advertisements

Best age for a kid to move to Oahu?

Tonight I was talking to a guy from Hawaii, who said he'd moved there in High School. He loved Hawaii, but said he's always wished he'd moved there much younger.

I've also heard that kids who move there young, fit in really well. Kids that move in as High Schoolers, usually don't find their place so quickly or so well.

Assuming the younger the better, what would be the MAXIMUM oldest age for a kid, to acclimate themselves socially well to Hawaii?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 03:48 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Right around 20-21 would be just perfect. Not have to worry about the school system. Old enough to drive themselves to the beach and soccer practice.

Also, college tends to be an excellent place to make friends.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:31 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Agreed, 18+ to avoid the school system unless you can afford private.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:41 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
For education? Once they are out of school.

For integration? As young as possible. I don't think you are considered completely local unless you went to school here.

No seriously. Don't put your kids in public school here.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:49 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
For education? Once they are out of school.

For integration? As young as possible. I don't think you are considered completely local unless you went to school here.

No seriously. Don't put your kids in public school here.
Yep, integration!

While youngest is always best, what's the maximum oldest age?

I'm thinking maybe 10?

Old 09-30-2012, 03:15 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yep, integration!

While youngest is always best, what's the maximum oldest age?

I'm thinking maybe 10?

That's REALLY hard to answer. Depends on the child, and what type of area are they from to begin with? If they are from a mixed culture school, that would help. If they aren't from an upper-middle class school that would help too.

You need to take my opinion with a grain of salt..... I've been here 25 years but didn't go to school here. My belated husband went to private school, and most of my friend's kids do too, if they can afford it.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:31 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,264 times
There is not a "one size fits all" answer to "maximum oldest age". Children are different in how they handle change. In how easily the make friends. On if they NEED to have "many" friend, or just a few close friends. Will they be going to a private school, or public school? A school in an area where there is a higher turnover of students, or a small community where families tend to live for decade? Does the area have K-12, or do the children get sent into other communities for middle or high school (such as is done in many area of the Big Island)? Etc etc

There are just too many specifics for a blanket answer.

The one thing that does seem to make a big difference when hearing students talk about their schooling, is to not pull them out of their current high school when it is their senior year.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:19 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've also heard that kids who move there young, fit in really well. Kids that move in as High Schoolers, usually don't find their place so quickly or so well.
In general I agree with that, but I don't think it is particular to Hawai'i. I think it has more to do with the stage of emotional development they're in. Adolescence is already difficult enough for a lot of kids, even without losing all their friends and having to find a place in a new social structure. And what's worse, at any age, is that they are not at cause in the move, they are at the effect of it. It's usually*something that gets done to them, not for them.

But as was mentioned earlier, each child is different, and each one's needs have to be dealt with individually. With personal attention the transitions can be eased, no matter what the age. But avoid moving teenagers the last two years of high school if possible. That seems to be the hardest on everyone.

* One exception would be a move that the child themself puts in motion. I'm thinking of the extraordinary story of Olympic Gold Medal Gymnast Gabby Douglas, who chose to move away from her home and family at age 15 in order to further her training and her Olympic dreams, with outstanding results. But she says it was extremely stressful for her to do that, and it was only her drive to win that got her through the emotional rollercoaster.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:06 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger beer View Post
best age for a kid to move to oahu? ...
60 ...

Old 10-06-2012, 03:19 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
The easiest time to move school age kids (well, easier, but not easy) would be between grades, ie: summer vacation, and between schools. If all the kids change schools between elementary school and junior high, then everybody has been disrupted and that is a good time to slip your child into the herd.

Or if everyone moves to a new building between junior high and high school, that is another good time for your child to join the group.

Really young students seem to be more easily accepting of someone new. Kindergarten, 1-2 grade.

I would aim for summer vacation and try to get the close neighbors to join you in trips to the beach or other activities. Even if it is just over to your house to play video games. That way your kid knows someone, even if the neighbor doesn't turn out to be a close friend.

Try to get the child involved in a sport or hobby over the summer. Then, again, they will know some people at the beginning of the school year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu