Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,100 times

Advertisements

Hi. My main reason to move to Hawaii is to get a new perspective on life. I have been struggling to make it for so long that I've come to the conclusion that my happiness means more to me then anything. With that being said, I know it is expensive to live in Hawaii & have come to terms that it wont be easy trying to get settled in. I have read tons of threads about moving and my biggest thing is that I just dont want it to be a big flop..I read how many people make the spontaneous move and loved it but others not so much...I have talked to my family(those who matter) & asked what they think & they dont think its a good idea..for the same reasons everyone thinks its a bad idea.. ITS TOO EXPENSIVE!!! I figure that im going to struggle either way until I get my degree and be financially stable & I still might not even get a good paying job..with the economy & all.....So

As of the moment, I live in Germany working with the military....& no, when I say that, I dont mean that I have some high paying job with great benefits. Its the exact opposite. I will be here for another year then will PCS back to VA in Aug. 2013. I plan to move to Hawaii in say April 2014. I will be moving with a cousin possibly two...I have been around & working for the military for 5 years now & thats where I plan to start looking for jobs..I have my own car which I plan on shipping.. My cousin & plan to have 7k each saved up (not including, shipping cars, plane tickets etc..). We dont plan on living lavish, something comfortable, clean is all that we ask for. We are college students so we know what it feels to to nickel & dime it....we have talked about the things that we could do. Work, hang out, beaches, scenery..Something that is simple but also can be extravagant altogether. I feel like I wouldnt have anything to lose...Is it appropriate to have this type of attitude when thinking about a huge move?

Well, the point of this thread is to hear any horror stories, parents, family or friends who didnt support the idea.

Should I do what my heart desires?

Any body not survive the move, meaning... ran out of money, couldnt find a job, homeless? Went back to the mainland within a month or two?

Regrets? Never will return?

P.S. My cousin & I are African American...what should I expect?

Thank You in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 02:29 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armybratt_2008 View Post

Well, the point of this thread is to hear any horror stories, parents, family or friends who didnt support the idea.
Are there REALLY not enough of these kinds of stories here for you? Do you REALLY need to read more of them?

Old 10-28-2012, 02:34 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
I have talked to my family(those who matter) & asked what they think & they dont think its a good idea
You have a very smart family

Old 10-28-2012, 07:50 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
So you are in the military, which means USA citizen or legal resident, so no visa issues. I don't think you will find much difference in cost of living between Germany and Hawaii. Except you perhaps were not living on the economy in Germany?

If you have some savings and buy a round trip ticket, I say go for it. If the savings run out and you haven't found a living wage job, use the round trip ticket to head home. You will have had a great adventure, rather than a flop.

Think about your job skills and if you don't have a marketable skill, start some job training to prepare yourself. Housing and electric are extremely high so be prepared to live in a tiny dark place to try to control the cost of rent and electricity. Learn how to cook, if you don't already know how. Prepare yourself to live on local fruit and veg from the farmers market, no restaurants, little meat, very little dairy.

I hope it works for you whether it is a new life or an extended vacation.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:43 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,255,802 times
[quote=armybratt_2008;26704066]
As of the moment, I live in Germany working with the military....& no, when I say that, I dont mean that I have some high paying job with great benefits. Its the exact opposite. I will be here for another year then will PCS back to VA in Aug. 2013. I plan to move to Hawaii in say April 2014.

Are you a Civilian Employee for the army department??
Why don't go on JOBS USA and try to transfer out here. It would at least give you income when you get here.

Be prepared for a minimum $1500.00 apartment rent not counting down first/last rent deposit or security deposit. Depending on where you live, add to that if you live in down town Honolulu or Waikiki beach. Haven't even started talking about electrical bills. Try $350.00 a month for a family.

A plus is Oahu has the best bus service in the US. So you can get around the city and county pretty good.

Be prepared for high auto insurance also and traffic some of the worst in all of the US.

Just a thought. You might want to double what you have saved if you can to start with.

You can fit in with everyone as long as you don't go looking for trouble, start anything or are rude.

I have lived here off and almost THIRTY YEARS counting my military service and civilian (Fed) Employee for the navy. It is very, very expensive to live here. JMO

Good luck,
Scott

Old 10-29-2012, 01:17 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,409 times
Quote:
Hi. My main reason to move to Hawaii is to get a new perspective on life.
I have two sincere questions for you. Not being a smart aleck...just want you to think. I am not voicing my opinion on whether it would be a good or a bad move for you. So,

1. Have you ever been to Hawai'i?

2. Is Hawai'i the only place on planet earth where you can get a new perspective on life, since that is your stated main reason?

Old 10-29-2012, 01:47 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,997 times
To build upon HiloDiver's well intended question, I'll ask, based upon OP's second sentence, "I have been struggling to make it for so long that I've come to the conclusion that my happiness means more to me then anything". Just what has the "struggle been"? Financial? Employment opportunities? Family & friends' connections? Health? Etc.

Then later you state "Well, the point of this thread is to hear any horror stories,...".

Perhaps you need to do a lot of research on what is in the archives. Then make a list of pros and cons for yourself and your own situation. Then judge for yourself and your own situation. Asking us to relay sad stories is really not going to help you. There are many sad stories. Just as there are many happy stories.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:15 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,409 times
CyberCity, excellent build on my well-meaning post.

I keep thinking of the OP's stated "main reason" and I can think of literally dozens of places all over the USA, Caribbean, Central America, etc. where I could "get a new perspective on life", some more expensive than HI, some less expensive than HI.

I almost wonder if OP should be asking his/her self "Where on earth could I relocate to where I can get a new perspective on life without having to struggle?"

For me, struggling is not necessarily a bad thing; but for OP, it seems to be an issue...so I hope they do a lot of research...as well as introspection...before deciding if HI is the only place that will suit them. And if Hawai'i, if Oahu is the only island that will suit them.

Best wishes to you...and please do take a few hours to read through posts on these forums.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:09 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
I read "I've been struggling to make it", and my first thought is "so you decide to move to Hawaii where you struggle even MORE?!!!"

I can assure you that there is a VERY good chance you will get a new perspective on life - just not how you are thinking.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:28 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,911 times
Well, I'm AA and lived on Oahu off and on for over 15 years. We moved to the Mainland in 2011, but I plan on returning sometime soon. It will only be part time (between San Diego and Oahu). I love the islands, that includes the people, the rhythm of life and Aloha Spirit - Lucky You Live Aloha! Having said that, you really need to do your research and visit for a few months (if possible) to see if what you think you want truly is on the island, because the Islands will definitely spit you back out!!

There is an AA community there, not that you indicated you wanted to know that, and many are military related and there are quite a few doing quite well in the civilian community.

What HiloDiver and others have recommended, I concur. Save up, do your research, go with knowledge, eyes open. Again I love it there and can't wait to get my act together so I can purchase a Condo and live mostly there.

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu