Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 12:27 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,875,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanon View Post
You might want to take a look here: 3030 Pualei Circle, Honolulu, HI - Google Maps

Of all the places I lived in Honolulu, this was it - loved it! The perfect location for me, so quiet, just a quick walk across Kapiolani Park to the beach and though there was parking space for one vehicle per unit, I rarely used my car as the bus was so convenient. It was definitely not easy to secure a rental (I was told there was a 5 year waiting list but not sure if that's true or not; we just lucked out). This was years ago and things change but it still might be worth checking out.
That building went condo around 2000. Most rentals in the Circle range from $1500-1900 for a one bedroom and $1800-2600 for a two bedroom. Hard to beat the location. Look over at Diamond Head Sands next door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 02:05 PM

404 posts, read 1,246,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
That building went condo around 2000. Most rentals in the Circle range from $1500-1900 for a one bedroom and $1800-2600 for a two bedroom. Hard to beat the location. Look over at Diamond Head Sands next door.
I've been watching the prices escalate and then drop on the sale of those for several years...yikes, so expensive but the location is ideal. I was wondering, though, if there might be owners who rent their units or if that's even allowed. I think Diamond Head Sands might also be condos now, not sure.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:48 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,875,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanon View Post
I've been watching the prices escalate and then drop on the sale of those for several years...yikes, so expensive but the location is ideal. I was wondering, though, if there might be owners who rent their units or if that's even allowed. I think Diamond Head Sands might also be condos now, not sure.
Yeah, the whole Circle is condo now. Diamond Head Sands was always condo as far as I know. I know someone was trying to do vacation rentals at 3030 but not sure if they can legally although there are 30 day rentals in the Circle. I don't think there are any "rental" buildings in Diamond Head. Diamond Head Beach Hotel was about the last that had mass ownership of units. Even in Waikiki I can't think of complex owned by a single owner. When I moved to Honolulu in 1977 I rented at Kuhio Village. It converted to a hotel and then sold condo units. Most other places did the same or converted to condotel.

In the last few years a few low-rises have been upgraded and turned into rentals but these are small complexes. 441 Walina is also a total rental building. Still most people looking for a rental will deal with condo owners.

I'm assuming the OP was looking at Waikiki Grand ( a hotel turned partial condo). Furnished, utilities included and half a block to the beach for $1200! This ain't Arizona.

You may very well be dealing with a realtor that is representing one owner in a condo building. They are not going to drive down and meet you at 8:00 pm with a greater than 50% chance that you will not show. I do evening showings (after sunset) scheduled 15 minutes apart. I'm usually doing some work on the unit so no one is wasting my time.

If you expect to get something good in the $1000 range you need to be flexible.

3030 sales have been very good. Two bedrooms selling for over $600,000 have sold in less than 14 days.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:29 PM

33 posts, read 117,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2snow View Post
LoL, it already has been.

If I could just get people to respond to my emails or phone calls I'd be much further along. Frustrating dealing with people who can only show apts. on THEIR schedule. I can't take off in the middle of the work day to look at apts. but seems like that's the only time they schedule "group showings."

Real estate here is completely different than in AZ. I'm not licensed here, but am in AZ where clients come first and the realtor adjusts to the clients needs/schedule.
Just curious... Do you have an 808 number, or an AZ number? One unique thing I've found in Hawaii is they will only respond to 808 phone calls. Very third world.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:07 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,055,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu waku waku View Post
Just curious... Do you have an 808 number, or an AZ number? One unique thing I've found in Hawaii is they will only respond to 808 phone calls. Very third world.
Really? My cell phone area code isn't a USA area code and I've had no problems.

Also, I find Hawai'i to be very much first world. Anyone calling it third world needs to travel a lot more.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:10 PM

38 posts, read 73,223 times
I like the zoo. Especially the monkeys. They remind me of the Legislature, except in the Legislature they wear pants.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:22 PM

10 posts, read 31,956 times
Just watch out for the other kine animals that come pouring out of the bars at night.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:01 PM

8 posts, read 11,942 times
I used to live in a studio in Waikiki Grand (145 Kapahulu) for a year.

The good:
1. parking was relatively easy - you can park on Kapahulu for free after 5 (at least you could in 2005). There is also a public parking lot a little past the zoo. So for the area, parking was great for me.
2. walk home from the clubs - no need to get a taxi or risk a DUI
3. beach anytime

The bad:
1. Noisy - the zoo noise was minimal compared to the hostel on Lemon street
2. tiny tiny studio - no kitchen; at least I didn't pay much.
3. There are some homeless and other strange characters hanging out in the park near the zoo in the evenings. Nothing bad ever happened but ladies may want to walk with caution.

I had a good time living there overall. For a young single person, I'd highly recommend.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:36 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,766,155 times
Aloha lol, funny that u guys mentioned that location, as a kid i lived right across the street from the zoo. But i can imagine that it has changed so much since the late 70s early 80s? It was great loved it.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:47 PM

7 posts, read 14,233 times
I lived right across from the zoo on Kapahulu for almost a year and loved it! It is noisy, both from the animals at the zoo and the people on the street. I was never bothered by the noise from the zoo, always thought it was pretty cool to hear the elephants and tigers...peacocks...not so much and the zoo had plenty of them. If I was to move back to Waikiki I would move to that area again, because you have Kapiolani Park so you have a bit of breathing room and the beach is so close. I suppose it depends on how sensitive you are to noise; if you are a light sleeper this might not be the best spot, mainly because of loud people, not sounds from the zoo. We paid $1,600/month for a big, by Hawaii standards, 2 bedroom and 2 baths with one parking stall. This is a few years ago though; 2009.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu