Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 07:13 AM

152 posts, read 372,020 times

Advertisements

According to the UH study, the sea could rise a foot by the year 2050 and three feet by the end of the century . UH scientists say this increase in ocean water, could cause coastal flooding and cause the groundwater to rise at the same time. ( KITV -November 2012)

The time line is not tomorrow, but soon enough to learn more. Has anyone experienced or perceived any changes to either saltwater intrusions into drinking wells, especially windward, as they are closer to shorelines, and/or high tide advances, with rising sea levels?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 07:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKfine View Post
California is not a direct Hawaii concern
That would be incorrect - Most of our shipping comes from CA - most of the tourists/flights come from CA - a major impact to CA has a very direct impact to Hawaii.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
That would be incorrect - Most of our shipping comes from CA - most of the tourists/flights come from CA - a major impact to CA has a very direct impact to Hawaii.

No further discussion there at all. The point was initially about sea level/land areas in Oahu/Hawaii and if you are not concerned, fine with me. However, the UH seems very interested, as are many near coastlines.
A comprehensive outline is here : http://seagrant.soest.hawaii.edu/sit...it_web-1_2.pdf

Old 12-14-2012, 07:58 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
Quote:
No further discussion there at all. The point was initially about sea level/land areas in Oahu/Hawaii and if you are not concerned, fine with me. However, the UH seems very interested, as are many near coastlines.
A comprehensive outline is here : http://seagrant.soest.hawaii.edu/sit...it_web-1_2.pdf
Okay, I'll bite...I'm concerned.
So, I scrolled through some of this outline, but lost interest long before I got to page 75. How about synthesizing this material for us, or posting a specific question.
Not quite clear about the intent of this thread.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:16 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Well, I've known families to lose their homes due to erosion of the beach..... not sure if that is on point of the OP.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, I've known families to lose their homes due to erosion of the beach..... not sure if that is on point of the OP.

I think just reading the initial post is self explanatory, and some here may have need to do so. Furthermore, I am not seeking to argue with anyone that seeks an off tangent means to do so. A tiny curiosity and simple reading of widely available sources is possible. BUT, the question " initially" was clear. No "one" is "everywhere" on the island all the time...
In Hawai’i, as the ocean continues to rise, natural flooding occurs in low-lying regions during rains because storm sewers back up with saltwater (especially at high tide), coastal erosion accelerates on vulnerable beaches, and critical highways shut down due to marine flooding.
The Mapunapuna industrial district of Honolulu adjacent to the airport is a good example. Until recently, if heavy rains fell during monthly highest tides, portions of the region flooded waist deep because storm drains backed up with high ocean water . The undercarriages of trucks suffered a corrosion problem because flood waters become salty at high tide. Even when it did not rain, the area flooded with salt water as it surged up the storm drains into the streets and local workers reported seeing baby hammerhead sharks in the 2 foot deep pools. However, in 2011 a series of one-way flow vents were installed on the Mapunapuna storm drain system allowing run-off to exit but preventing high tide from entering.
Low-lying Mapunapuna (in the Honolulu Airport industrial region) experienced saltwater intrusion into the storm drain system. Previously, when it rained, there was no drainage and flooding was common. Now, one-way drainage vents prevent seawater from entering the storm drain system and tidal flooding has been mitigated in most situations. This is not classified info and any person can find it. Whether you have experienced it or anything first hand, is / was the point. quote: " Has anyone experienced or perceived any changes to either saltwater intrusions into drinking wells, especially windward, as they are closer to shorelines, and/or high tide advances, with rising sea levels? " unquote

Have a great holiday and enjoy " paradise"

Old 12-15-2012, 05:21 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,264 times
Quote:
[color=#000000][font=Arial]Has anyone experienced or perceived any changes to either saltwater intrusions into drinking wells, especially windward, as they are closer to shorelines, and/or high tide advances, with rising sea levels?
I am not aware of there being an intrusion into drinking wells due to a rising sea level in Hawaii.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:30 PM

Those going to Hawaii for the long term need to know current facts on potential resources impact from sea levels rising.
Differing "opinions" are best addressed, to those making statements below and otherwise.
http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journ..._NatureClimate
Hawaii: Economy | Our Children's Trust
'Groundwater inundation' doubles previous predictions of flooding with future sea level rise
As sea levels rise, there is an increased risk for saltwater intrusion into freshwater drinking supplies, which is difficult and costly to repair. The risk of saltwater intrusion is exacerbated by predictions of increasingly frequent and severe storms. The cost of repairs to Hawaii’s drinking water infrastructure over the next 20 years could exceed $146 million, with an additional $1.74 billion for wastewater infrastructure renovations.

The risk of run-over from sewage and septic systems may increase with higher storm surges and more frequent floods. Without major costly renovations of water supply infrastructure, public health is at risk from "water contamination".
It is predicted that sea level is likely to rise an additional 17-25 inches by the year 2100. The cost of protecting and maintaining the coastline and sand replenishment is expected to cost $340 million-$6 billion through the end of the century. With rising sea levels, it is expected that low-lying properties will flood more frequently and beach erosion will be a growing problem.
Increases in rainfall and runoff will combine with the water influx created from severe storm events such as hurricanes, high surf (tsunamis), severe storms and storm runoff to create large flooding events, causing costly property damage. The shores of Oahu are particularly susceptible to these kinds of damages.

UH scientists say this increase in ocean water, could cause coastal flooding and cause the groundwater to rise at the same time.
"The freshwater body is less dense than the salt water and it floats on the salt water but as soon the sea level rises, the freshwater level will rise as well," said UH researcher Kolja Rotzoll. (Higher fresh water levels near to the surface, means LESS drinking water available)
Scientists say if the sea level were to rise, the inundation from the ground flooding would be more widespread than marine flooding.

"The distance of one kilometer (.62 miles) from the coastline about ten percent of that area will be inundated if the sea level rises by one meter (3 feet), in the entire area between Diamond Head and Pearl Harbor." said Rotzoll.

Read more: Sea level rise could have dramatic effect on Hawaii | Local News - KITV Home
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1111153801.htm
http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/coasts/s...eLineTour.html

Old 12-16-2012, 02:02 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Well, currently we are experiencing a drought.

Yes, facts were presented in terms of possibilities. Lots of things are "possible."

Old 12-17-2012, 11:43 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,264 times
I'll take all this information with me if I move from my catchment system of water [to then have to deal with bad ground water] to a beachfront home [only to have my investment under threat of submergence]. I'm glad it was brought to my attention, it gives me more to put on my "Hawaii is sometimes a hard place to live" list. Excuse me now while I go write my monthly checks for school tuition, high electric bills, high weekly budget for food, and charge card bill for expensive gasoline. After that, I need to spend some time on the phone arranging for the annual termite inspection [so my house does not become their meal], and find a doctor who will accept my insurance [don't wait until a medical disaster to find a doctor in Hawaii]. Then I'll need to so a bit of online shopping for Christmas gifts that cannot be found locally. Oh, that reminds me, my car needs new tires ... the last set had to be brought in... gosh, where will I fit in worrying about the rising sea level? Before or after the end of the world this week?

Ok, enough joking around, thanks for indulging me. OP, your original question was if we were experiencing problems due to the intrusion of sea water, etc. The answer is no, not at this point. Is it of concern? Most likely yes, to those who study those sort of problems. But to us living the day-to-day life here in Hawaii, no. You'll find more concern about beach erosion due to man-made sea walls (such as Lanikai), and other such individual problems, than an overall concern about the rising sea level.

If you've another question for us, pop it off.

Last edited by CyberCity; 12-17-2012 at 11:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu