Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 05:27 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,815,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy222 View Post
It would be nice to stick with the main topic - bugs in Honolulu though. MovingAloha, I'm 20 if you must know and the job is not a problem so isn't the money. Peace.
Age 20, single, job OK, money OK, heck, the biggest problem for most in that situation would not be about bugs (other than ukus ... in certain body areas...).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 04:12 AM

251 posts, read 437,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestOne1 View Post
Hahaha. Timmy, let me help you out here.

You and a few million other people all want to move to Hawaii. Where you live currently, the weather sucks. And Hawaii is beautiful year round. Not rocket science. So you and your closest 5 million friends all want to bail on the sucky weather and move to Hawaii. Understand?

Doing so, however, requires that you have education, skills, and money to support yourself, so you can actually contribute to the Hawaiian society, rather than be a drain on the current Hawaiian society.

Read paragraph above until it becomes clear.

And you are concerned about bugs??? Like, "hey, I will only grace you with my presence on your beautiful island if I dont get bugs on my toesies" ???

Focus a little more on what you have to contribute.

Easy bro, asking if he should be concerned about bugs in Hawaii is as valid a question as you'll see on this forum. Searching the subject I saw one person post that being concerned about bugs is the LAMEST reason possible to not live there. Why not snap at the next person for asking how the school districts rate or how the job market is looking? "What, you'll only grace our presence if the schools are up to par?? Pfffbfbfbtt!"

Old 01-11-2013, 10:05 PM

24 posts, read 48,997 times
I sure don't hear much aloha to this guy...hope this helps, we have all the bugs they have said and we Do have fire ants on Oahu in the North Shore, I had the priviledge of stepping on a nest at Haleiwa Beach park. Now THAT hurt!
Centipides are not only on this island..they are in alot of states, there are plenty in CA, had them crawl over my feet, fall out of a skylight. Like they said this IS the tropicals, your going to experience lots of things you haven't on the mainland.
Sounds like your set as far as funds, so when you get settled in your place call an exterminator and set up a quarterly spray. The up side , which I have had LOTS of experience with is NO rattlesnakes..YAY!!!!

Old 01-12-2013, 02:25 AM

13 posts, read 21,104 times
Bad! Very bad. They love the warm humid weather here and there aren't many predators to get them. Just keep your place clean and get those bait stuffs and you're good...pretty much.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:14 AM

22 posts, read 54,463 times
On Monday, a co-worker brought me a bag of food from her home country as a gift. I tore open the corner and took a few bites. It was really good, but a big bag. So I left it in my office for one night, with the corner still wide open. The next day, I picked up the bag, dumped a small bite in my mouth and I thought I missed my mouth with some of the food, because it fell to my chest. Only it wasn't the food. It was a small roach that was in the bag...AHHHH!!!! I almost ate a roach! I immediately spit the food out of my mouth and killed the roach. Your food is not safe here. I learned a valuable lesson...do not leave uncovered/unsealed food out in the open.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:24 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,056,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA2HI View Post
Your unsealed food is not safe anywhere you may live.
Fixed that for you.
Quote:
I learned a valuable lesson...do not leave uncovered/unsealed food out in the open.
Good advice no matter where on planet Earth you live.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:15 AM

6 posts, read 13,026 times
"Can you lie on the beach without worrying something will bite you? Can you stand or lie on the grass in a park without bugs crawling all over you"

Bro, I can't even lie in my own bed here without worrying that something wont crawl on or bite me.
Seriously, its been 12 days in Oahu for me & my $1700 apartment comes with not only tiny black ants, but huge "Crazy Yellow Ants" (thats the actual species name) that are resistant to baits & pestisides, not to mention the few roaches that I seem to have scared away with typhoon amounts of Clorox on the first day.
Outside is even worse, hugest roaches I've ever seen, even bigger than the "Palmetto" Roaches I saw during my bid in Miami. Also, Beware of all the bums lying around on the beach & park benches, cant say wether they bite or not..
Also, the more bugs you have in the house, the more gecko lizards you will have sneaking in your windows to eat them. Not sure how you do with amphibians... reptiles...? MONSTERS!
And good luck trying to get assistance from your landlord, people here just chuckle and say that its the cost to live in "paradise" All the while I'm realizing that This is my hell. I grew up outta Boston & the only houses with bugs were dirty ones, where the smelly kids lived, yea, I get thru each day by telling myself I only have to be here 3 years for my boyfriends military orders.
I'd rather shovel snow 3 months straight every year than survive by keeping things like my toothbrush in a ziplock bag all the time, canned goods in the fridge, affraid to place the groceries on the floor while I close the door behind me, worrying 24/7 that my cat might eat a bug that is contaminated with Raid poison. Idk how people don' fear for their childrens safety/hygine here

If you like warm weather & beaches, try California, or even Europe, which is actually cheaper to live in than Hawaii, cleaner too, OH! And a lot less of the vibe you're getting here from 'Locals' who don't want you here. Somehow, we all share the same passports & citizenship but anyone from the mainland is an unwelcome intruder.... Our cars, food, chainstores, Starbucks & welfare/obamacare, however, are VERY MUCH welcome.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:32 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,767,951 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQl2zklVGYU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCaNe3WYJkU

lol joking i couldn't resist

Old 02-05-2015, 08:27 AM

404 posts, read 1,246,700 times
Poor baby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4MD...XE_Dc9&index=2

Old 02-05-2015, 11:18 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,353,566 times
I'm not an expert but I can tell you about my year there in the Ewa area. The lizards pretty much take care of most of the bugs but the cat catches the rest. That does not include the scorpions and the centipedes. We discouraged the cat from playing with those. Of course, the cat ate the lizards... It was kind of a free-for-all. The dogs often backed up the cat if there were spiders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu