Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 09:44 AM

26 posts, read 31,719 times

Advertisements

We rented a vrbo house in Kailua during a vacation (ironically it was the one just recently in the news fined $300,000 for doing illegal rentals).

The place was great, but it had ants. We sprinkled some cinnamon, and they never came back. Use normal pest control, and NEVER leave unopened food around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 09:45 PM

30,655 posts, read 18,269,220 times
I live on the 14th floor of a high rise, so haven't had to deal with many flying pests. There were some ants when I moved in, but I used raid at their "entry" points and haven't had any problems since.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:14 PM

76 posts, read 87,142 times
Here's a more specific question- How bad are the bugs in the sense of how many of them are biters, how aggressive are they, etc.?

Obviously insects are plentiful, but some stinging/biting insects are a lot worse than others.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:39 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,339,309 times
My friend went to the "water tower lighting" (annual Christmas event) on Hickam and said roaches pretty much covered the ground. She said people were walking around with the roaches on their clothes and didn't even know it. I know during the day when the grass is being mowed those white birds FLOCK behind the mower to scoop up the bugs!

Old 12-22-2016, 02:01 PM

96 posts, read 112,990 times
Maybe the insects here just don't bother me that much, but I hardly notice them. They are definitely present. You can go find roaches in the grass pretty easily. It's not like they are crawling all over everything all the time. While there are lots of insects, there are also lots of birds eating them. Unless you have a phobia, or if you are planning to live outside on the ground, insects shouldn't be a factor in your decision to move to Hawaii. I have never had an insect crawl on me while at the beach, other than a fly maybe. We have had picnics on a blanket in grassy areas near beaches and I do not recall the insects being an issue.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:50 AM

24,666 posts, read 9,487,472 times
I live in a condo and the only issue I've had are small sugar ants and fruit flies. I took care of the ants very easily with bait stations off amazon (borax). I'll have to find something for the fruit flies

My fear is roaches but again, borax, will clean them out. Pests cannot become immune to it because it hydrates them and kills the entire infestation.

Bugs, just a small price to pay for living in paradise.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:38 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,561,023 times
I think bugs on the mainland are a lot worse to be honest. They tend to be bigger and they have more poisonous ones - spiders, scorpions, snakes (not a bug).

roaches are just gross, they don't bite.

fire ants and centipedes are the worst ones to look out for, mainly if you live in a house though. And mainly because they bite/sting. if you live in a high rise, you mainly deal with apartment roaches.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:27 PM

24,666 posts, read 9,487,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
roaches are just gross, they don't bite.
Gross is an understatement, IMO. They don't come alone, they bring their families and reproduce like crazy so they can easily take over your house or condo. They don't bite but good luck bringing family and guests over if they see roaches all over your place.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:21 AM

48,551 posts, read 34,911,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Gross is an understatement, IMO. They don't come alone, they bring their families and reproduce like crazy so they can easily take over your house or condo. They don't bite but good luck bringing family and guests over if they see roaches all over your place.

You must not live in Hawaii!! /lol
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-13-2017, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,041 times
baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad bugs in hawaii
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu