Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 07:09 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,833,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moki View Post
I have lived here my whole life.........and am very familiar with the dynamism of these islands. Very familiar with the various aspects of what might be considered, benignly, bigotry. Bigoted humans are and do come in every conceivable permeation, they are not exclusive to any geography anywhere. Bigotry is omnipresent:

I would say go for it. I would also say that it would be greatly appreciated and you would be greatly rewarded. Yes Waianae is not the cosmopolitan hub of Oahu, it is rural and it is disenfranchised in many ways. It is old School Hawaii, it is beautiful and for the most part very unspoiled: There is a problem with drugs, principally crystal meth and alcohol.

It is as dangerous as you allow it to be: It does require some skill to not fit into the stereotype of the "mainland Haole". They won't like it, but then I don't like it. Do not put on air's do not be discourteous, conduct yourself sincerely and be real and don't be baited and you will be fine.

Your position in the community, as a health provider, will cement and galvanize your acceptance and create friendships and alliances. You will be invited into the warm hospitality of west side culture. Do not over drink, do not be patronizing, do not be judgmental, just allow the culture and traditions to be expressed, and they will charm and embrace you.

Come with no preconceptions or expectations as to who the people are or what is attributed to them, you will be better served as being wide awake and open. Do not be afraid to walk in the innocence of the malihini (newcomer). And do live in the community there is no need to live elsewhere. Keep it simple. Serve and be a part of the community, embrace it and it will in turn embrace you. The Hawaiian Culture, more evident there than in virtually any other part of the island, is ancient, civilized and intelligent and wise. Once you get beyond the superficiality of your surrounding, and find yourself among the families and into the homes you will see what I say is true. I wish you the best, and I suggest you embrace the concepts of risk/reward you will not regret it. You will teach, they in turn will teach you and the world becomes a better place.
Nice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 07:35 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,816,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moki View Post
I have lived here my whole life......... Do not be afraid to walk in the innocence of the malihini (newcomer). And do live in the community there is no need to live elsewhere.
I agree with most of Moki's post with exception to the above advice. I'd not recommend that a newcomer settle in Waianae unless they have had a prior opportunity to get to know the vastly different areas (or unless they have a mentor to guide them along - and I don't mean just an anonymous internet forum mentor).

Old 12-09-2013, 04:14 PM

14 posts, read 30,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docoahu View Post
I work in an urban inner city hospital with a level 1 trauma center. I choose to live and spend my free time elsewhere

I don't think it makes any difference where a med student does their clinical rotations. The reputation of the school itself, USMLE scores and recommendations are what matter. Although, being isolated to an island and not having the opportunity to rotate at major academic medical centers that attract the majority of applicants and where you will most likely receive the best possible education will most likely put you at a disadvantage amongst your peers.

You never know though. My wife is a DO and an anesthesiologist. I'm a MD and never heard of DOs until I met her during my fellowship. She was the first anesthesiologist I ever got along with.
Docoahu- sorry it's been a long time since I've checked this thread. Are you currently living in HI? Where do you and your wife practice? Yes, I'm in a DO program in Arizona at A.T. Still University. And I'm doing my rotations in Hawaii. Most will be at the Waianae Coast Community Health Center, but some will be at other hospitals and most elective rotations will be hospitals I'm interested in for residency. I move there this August. I've been looking at places in Makaha. Thanks for your input!

Old 12-15-2013, 01:58 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,358,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
So, does your program not offer debt forgiveness?

Anyway, back to your original question, I'm sure the WCCHC would benefit from your knowledge. My personal recommendation would be to enjoy the opportunity, but to set up your initial living accommodations in perhaps the Makakilo or Kapolei areas, until you have a chance to learn more about the Waianae coast. Once you are familiar with Waianae, and if you should decide to move to that area, you'll be better prepared to choose a neighborhood that is a good fit for you.
I agree with this. Waianae has our favorite beach. Ko'Olina has affordable rentals, strangely enough and that's commutable.

I took a job here and have spent a year here growing to love Hawaii. I don't regret it (except for my boyfriend's daughter coming to live with us). I think you should go for it. You'll love it here.

Like any place, don't be wandering around Waianae at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu