Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 08:14 PM

14 posts, read 30,731 times

Advertisements

Starting medical school in Arizona this summer. We have to commit to a Community Health Center to do our second, third, and fourth years of med school and one option is Waianae Coast CHC. Seems like a really neat adventure and a great chance to step out of my comfort zone.

I've heard a lot about the "prejudice against mainlanders" and the difficulty with assimilating, but I don't understand how it's that much different than being the person who stands out in any population. I'm white, but have spent most of my adult years in the inner-city of Kansas City and took a while for people to get used to me, but that never bothered me. I also spent a summer abroad in Kampala, Uganda and absolutely loved it, but I completely delved into the culture and put a lot of effort learning their tribal language.

So the question is-- with an outgoing and adaptable personality, would Waianae be a good place for an outsider? I have no ties to Hawaii (no family from there or friends who live there) but I'd be working with the medically underserved in the community and love meeting new people/being exposed to new cultures. Thoughts?? Advice??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 09:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,954,235 times
Waianai isn't commutable to med school.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Waianai isn't commutable to med school.
No, the medical school is in Arizona. The first year is done in AZ, years 2-4 are done at a community health center elsewhere. One of which is located in Waianae and called Waianae CHC off Farrington Highway. I'd have to commit to living there for 3 years.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:30 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,954,235 times
I'd use the search function first. That can be a rough place to live, some love it, others don't. It has the highest homeless population on the island.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:36 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,074,683 times
If you can handle Uganda, Waianae shouldn't be a problem. It's a pretty small Health Center if I remember correctly, but you'd be within driving distance of all of the rest of Oahu so you'd not be limited to just a rural area. Will you make enough at the clinic to rent an apartment or do they have housing for their workers?

Old 01-28-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If you can handle Uganda, Waianae shouldn't be a problem. It's a pretty small Health Center if I remember correctly, but you'd be within driving distance of all of the rest of Oahu so you'd not be limited to just a rural area. Will you make enough at the clinic to rent an apartment or do they have housing for their workers?
I'll still be in medical school, just completing clinical rotations, so I'd be living off loans. First year of loans is around $84,000 (I know, can you believe the debt?!) but about $45,000 goes to tuition and there's other added fees. I know after your first year they adjust that amount depending on where you live. So I'd have about $40,000 for living expenses, but 10 students every year go there, so I'm sure it's doable off loans.

Yes, Uganda was quite the adventure. People always ask if I felt safe in Africa, and although the it was quite a culture shock, it was VERY safe. I never ran into a problem and it was the nicest people I've met in my life. I also put a lot of effort into their culture/language.

Do most people go into town to go grocery shopping, to events, other shopping? How big is Waianae?

PS- Thanks for all the help and input!! I appreciate it

Old 01-28-2013, 02:58 PM

82 posts, read 205,940 times
$40,000 a year to live on is going to be tight but since your used to living abroad in less than ideal conditions you should make it. Consider living in Kapolei or Makakilo which is very close to where you will be working (10 miles) but a little less of a "challenging" environment for you. If you work the night shift out there you will see your share gun shot wounds, stabbing victims, and many female domestic violence victims bruised and battered. Sounds like your in the clinic and not the ER though. In contrast Kapolei is like a mainland suburb with all the big box stores and newer and/or renovated apartments.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:28 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,816,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygreatwood View Post
I know after your first year they adjust that amount depending on where you live.
Off topic to your question, but your thread stirs up a question: I thought the programs that bring medical staff into rural areas (like Waianae) do so with the exchange of there being a discounted cost for medical school? Your insight would be interesting, please.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Off topic to your question, but your thread stirs up a question: I thought the programs that bring medical staff into rural areas (like Waianae) do so with the exchange of there being a discounted cost for medical school? Your insight would be interesting, please.
Cyber city,

This is actually a very valid question, but leads to a complicated response.

There is a serious need for docs in underserved/rural areas, and so working in one after med school & residency usually will provide debt forgiveness for school loans. You can also sign up to work government programs that pay your schooling and you sign a contract to work in underserved areas. However this is different. This med school in AZ (SOMA) has an entirely new curriculum where students only spend one year in the class then they MUST complete their second, third and fourth year of schooling/rotations at a community health center located in 1 of 11 possible sites (all are underserved populations, either rural or urban). The point of this is to expose students to different populations and try to create that passion and desire for them to practice in those areas after finishing residency.

Hawaii just happens to be one of the sites that really pops out at me. I've always wanted to go and it seems like a once in a lifetime opportunity to experience great weather and a new culture while also getting involved in the community.

The program is definitely not for everyone (some people only go into medicine for the money, like all professions), but for those who are drawn to service and public health, it's a great option!

Old 01-29-2013, 04:46 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,816,542 times
So, does your program not offer debt forgiveness?

Anyway, back to your original question, I'm sure the WCCHC would benefit from your knowledge. My personal recommendation would be to enjoy the opportunity, but to set up your initial living accommodations in perhaps the Makakilo or Kapolei areas, until you have a chance to learn more about the Waianae coast. Once you are familiar with Waianae, and if you should decide to move to that area, you'll be better prepared to choose a neighborhood that is a good fit for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu