Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 12:30 AM

8 posts, read 8,955 times

Advertisements

The native snails never get to more than 3/4" long, and you will never see them outside of the native forests a long way from anywhere people live (and even there they're very rare). So don't worry about killing natives. The giant African snails have been here since the early 1900's or maybe 1800's, so they've had plenty of time to get everywhere. If you're into eating snails, cooking them thoroughly kills potential rat lungworm parasites, though of course just handling them can be dangerous if you later accidentally swallow some that were in the slime. People used to eat them raw but that stopped when the parasite got here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 10:21 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Snapped this big guy this morning. Was over 6 inches long.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:30 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
Yup, that's an African tree snail. Cook thoroughly and add garlic? That is a big one!

Do you think it's the same one that you saw before? I have no idea if snails are territorial or if they just wander around. Sometimes toads will establish a home for themselves and stay in an area for awhile, but they seem to move on after awhile. Maybe snails do the same thing?

Hey, you could put a mark on the shell and see if it's the same one next time you see it. Name him "Speedy" or something and scratch it on his shell? That wouldn't hurt him, would it? Or if it's a female, you could name her "Shelly"? A sharpie marker would probably be an easier way to put a mark on him. If it was up on the rim near where his body comes out, you'd be able to see it longer. Once the shell revolved to where it's touching the body, the marks might wear off and they'd be harder to see.

It's not an endangered or indigenous species, so if you don't like it, it's a pest, if you like them, I suppose they could be pets.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:16 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,817,548 times
We saw lots of big snails while in Ka'anapali Maui!

Hawaii Snails-img_6185.png

Old 10-24-2014, 09:52 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
We saw lots of big snails while in Ka'anapali Maui!

Attachment 138180
Oh, NOOOOOO! You're not supposed to handle them!

CDC - Blogs - Public Health Matters Blog – Snails, Slugs, and Semi-slugs: A Parasitic Disease in Paradise

Old 10-24-2014, 10:22 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,817,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Oh, NOOOOOO! You're not supposed to handle them!
Now you tell me! Where were you about 3 weeks ago?

We were jogging on the beach trail just north of Ka'anapali and there were a bunch of these guys squished on the trail. My wife being a kind sole, decided to help this one get to safety. I had read something about the feral cats in Maui having some sort of disease and I had to tell her MANY times to not pet them. Unfortuantely, I didn't know about the giant slugs. She seems to make animal friends almost everywhere she goes. Her favorite thing we did on this trip was going to the Surfing Goat Dairy.
Hawaii Snails-img_0686.jpg

Hawaii Snails-img_0692.jpg

As you can see, she sometimes gets a little too friendly with them.
Hawaii Snails-img_0704.jpg

Old 10-25-2014, 03:19 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Goats is fine, but snails are dangerout. Matter of fact, you have to be careful with local lettuce because if it has any snail slime on it you can catch leptospirosis from it. And it's a nasty disease.

You don't want to pet the mongooses either. Just sayin'.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:23 PM

246 posts, read 650,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'd love to know how those things got to Kailua - Kailua is not by any port - and it isn't like they jump like frogs and obviously this bad boy isn't going very far very fast.
Google "arrest for importing African snail"

Maybe a neighbor brought them in and some got loose.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:59 PM

10,567 posts, read 7,767,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Goats is fine, but snails are dangerout. Matter of fact, you have to be careful with local lettuce because if it has any snail slime on it you can catch leptospirosis from it. .
Actually, it's rat lung disease that you can catch from slugs/snails.

I've been seeing a lot more of these giant African snails this year, and kill them every time.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:02 PM

38 posts, read 48,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'm going to snap a photo next time - stomping on it isn't terribly appealing if it happens to be the Hawaiian variety - and this thing was huge, nearly as big as my hand. Never had seen anything like it and didn't know they existed here. I encountered snails in the bay area and after it rained you couldn't help but step on them in the dark and hear the crunch crunch crunch - but those were small - this sucker was huge.

There are some tomato plants in the front of the house - maybe that is what it was after.

Hey man, what year is your White Dodge Viper? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu