Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 03:53 PM

12 posts, read 31,188 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Moving to Hawaii next month and heard stories about people kayaking from Iroquois point to Hickam AFB. I tried searching the forums but found nothing about it. With the ferry being out of service, is this really a viable option? I am interested in doing it to avoid driving through traffic everyday.

How long do you think it will take to get to one side? Is it dangerous?

I read on here about a boat service ran by the Navy that transports people from the West Loch to Hickam but read conflicting answers about whether it is in service still or not.

Thank you in advance for your inputs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 05:11 PM

152 posts, read 371,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhoss View Post
Hey all,

Moving to Hawaii next month and heard stories about people kayaking from Iroquois point to Hickam AFB. I tried searching the forums but found nothing about it. With the ferry being out of service, is this really a viable option? I am interested in doing it to avoid driving through traffic everyday.

How long do you think it will take to get to one side? Is it dangerous?

I read on here about a boat service ran by the Navy that transports people from the West Loch to Hickam but read conflicting answers about whether it is in service still or not.

Thank you in advance for your inputs.

Perhaps you need to read available information about currents, and effects of westerly wind at the entrance, after contacting Pearl Harbor Port Operations Office, and reading the Fleet Guide to pearl Harbor.
The actual road mileage is near the 20-21 miles range.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:48 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Kayaking is not a fast way to travel.. It would be beautiful, but an awfully long commute, time-wise.

Kayaking is safe for experienced kayakers, even in some pretty rough weather (with the traditional, bound around the waist type of kayak.). Not so much for people with little experience.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:57 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
I could easily cross that channel in less than 5 minutes on a surfski. More like 2 minutes if there was no wind. What the MPs would do on the other side would be a problem, that and being hit by a half submerged sub.

Aloha

Old 03-03-2013, 12:03 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Here's the scoop. I take the water taxi. (I guess it's a U-boat by the description on the serial number tag). I took it Friday. I like to run from work to the boat and then from the boat to the house a couple times a week just to keep up my PT. but I digress... We are all waiting for the ax to fall. Yes, they are discontinuing services. It will cause a hardship to so many people but it's a free service and the Navy is cutting funding so... I've only been here a couple months - live at Ir.Point.

Many do kayak, choosing that over the boat. I was just talking to a guy about it. He has a permit, issued by MWR. They're waffling as to whether they want to continue issuing permits or not... Once you have a permit you make contact with the tower (Pearl Harbor side) and make sure all is clear and off you go! As long as you don't get squeamish if a shark bumps you before dawn. I would probably have a problem with that. As far as I know you can go straight across to Hickam which is truly a 5 minute paddle from the Naval weapons base dock, right next to Ir Point. The boat travels to a pier on Pearl Harbor which would require a bicycle or other form of transportation to get to Hickam, unless you run, which even I don't do on my way TO work. That's probably why others kayak straight across to Hickam but I don't know the official docking point that you'd aim for. Still, the hangars look like you could throw a stone and hit them from the other side. Hope this helps!

btw, you have to have base privileges, duh, you must, huh? Also, parking lot and kayak racks available on the home side and parking lots and bike racks available on the Pearl side.

Last edited by hunterseat; 03-03-2013 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: can't shut up

Old 03-04-2013, 02:55 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,022 times
It's interesting to hear that people are really kayaking to commute. I've often thought that prior to roads, the quickest way for the historical Hawaiians to get around their own island was to go by canoe. Sure, they had trails everywhere, but with ridges and/or rivers to cross, it wasn't necessarily quick. Whereas a canoe with a skilled paddler could get around easily, as long as the swell wasn't too big.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:23 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I knew a few people from the paddling clubs who kayaked in to work at Pearl Harbor - honestly that is NOT a way I would want to start or end my day.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:06 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Agreed Mikala. Me neither. Not in those dark murky waters in the pre-dawn darkness.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:29 PM

152 posts, read 371,934 times
Is it true that " kayak" in Hawaiian means " shark food take out " ?

Old 03-11-2013, 11:22 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKfine View Post
Is it true that " kayak" in Hawaiian means " shark food take out " ?
No.

It means "whale plaything."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu