Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 05:38 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I finally had time to read the article and I am wondering, why are people who are retired still paying rent or a mortgage payment? Seems like really poor planning to me!
Or just poor luck. Some people, no matter how carefully they plan, wind up facing retirement without a lot of savings for a variety of reasons... a business failure, for example, or a bad divorce. And then there's the #1 cause for personal bankruptcy in the country... a debilitating injury or illness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 01:39 AM

152 posts, read 371,934 times
Default Recent Star article- and two added links on seniors

Opinions may vary..
Hawaii ranked top state for retirement by MoneyRates.com - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Star Advertiser March 16, 2013 article :

Hawaii was rated the best state for retirement in a study done MoneyRates.com,
a financial information website.
The study looked at factors influencing the quality of retirement, such as cost of living, property taxes,
violent crime rates, property tax rates, climate and life expectancy for seniors.
Rounding out the top five states after Hawaii in order were Idaho, Utah, Arizona
and Virginia. The bottom-ranked state was Michigan, followed by Pennsylvania, Alaska,
Illinois and Massachusetts. Hawaii took the top spot overall on the strength of a
No. 1 ranking for senior life expectancyand a No. 2 ranking for climate, along with
above-average scores in most other categories, according to the study.

Continuing Care: ( separate links not in Star article))
Continuing Care Retirement Communities in Honolulu, HI | Best Honolulu Continuing Care Retirement Communities
A CaringScore can range from 1 (worst) to 10 (best), and provides a quick way to compare cities, counties, and even specific zip codes. With a CaringScore of 5.4 out of 10, Honolulu is on par with
the national average for those seeking continuing care retirement communities.
(Above link has charts explaining factors for the rating)

Nursing homes :
Nursing Homes in Honolulu, HI | Best Honolulu Nursing Homes
With a CostScore of 2.2 out of 10, , the costs associated with nursing homes in Honolulu
are generally more expensive than the national average.
The average monthly cost for nursing homes in Honolulu is $8,882 , which is 51.3 percent more expensive than the rest of the country. Overall, the cost of living for Honolulu
indexes at 94.0 percent higher
than the national average. Average healthcare costs are 22.0 percent more
expensive than the national average, and the cost of housing is 245.0 percent more expensive than average.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:45 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKfine View Post
Hawaii took the top spot overall on the strength of a
No. 1 ranking for senior life expectancy and a No. 2 ranking for climate, along with
above-average scores in most other categories, according to the study.
Hmmm, wouldn't life expetancy be mostly be skewed by the asian population already living here?

And who the heck took #1 in climate over Hawaii???

Old 03-17-2013, 09:06 AM

795 posts, read 1,391,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Hmmm, wouldn't life expetancy be mostly be skewed by the asian population already living here?

And who the heck took #1 in climate over Hawaii???
I wonder that too. According to this page, they base their climate rankings on "which states had the least monthly variations from a moderate 68 degree temperature." It's possible California could edge out ahead there but that's really splitting hairs. And if you want to factor air quality, Hawaii would win hands down.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:44 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
My neighbors are in their 80's. He's haole (did I spell that right? I just learned to pronounce it! ) She's native Hawaiian, I believe. They are lovely people. His kids are beside themselves to get them to move to the DC area. They moved once and are now back, happily enjoying hula and ukulele groups weekly. It seems almost cruel to force them to move. They are doing fine.

I agree about the climate. What could be better than this? CA has so much smog... maybe the vog weighs in?

I'll have military, federal and POSSIBLY social security pensiion when I retire. My other half, who has been self-employed forever will build our home and between the two of us we will eventally be debt free but not if we stay in HI. (although he dreams of buying a lot and building here - I'm thinking a tear-down - nother thread) Texas is calling me....

Old 03-17-2013, 12:15 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
I could make a case for San Diego as a better climate - not everyone likes hot weather and San Diego is humidity free and a bit more mild than Hawaii. You can also golf in the morning and do a day trip to go skiing in the afternoon from San Diego.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:21 PM

152 posts, read 371,934 times
People tell me that Cebu, Phillippines is somewhat like Hawaii, but on a retirement income as it is so cheap, less than 45 to a dollar exchange rate, and almost all o/a costs at $ 1000 month, including a maid. Larger family, more. Limited research so far, does show a nice life style, but as anywhere, choices dictate costs. Less need for a car, and, beaches galore. Cebu island area is protected all around from direct weather storm approaches. However, distance is an issue as is Hawaii, from mainland USA needed travels.
Paradise is definitely an individual choice based upon each person's perspective and happiness criteria. The PI also needs voltage transformers for USA electric items, but, people are widely capable of using English it seems. Research is the key for each person.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:36 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKfine View Post
People tell me that Cebu, Phillippines is somewhat like Hawaii...Cebu island area is protected all around from direct weather storm approaches.
Cebu sitting directly on the 'Ring of Fire' for earthquakes is dangerous for tsunamis, though.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:13 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
I work with a Filipino lady who would be retired in the PI now except it's too dangerous. Maybe it's a different location than Cebu. (I love that song)

Old 03-19-2013, 05:04 PM

25 posts, read 45,162 times
The positive side of the high cost of living is that it limits the population. If the prices were low, it would be a no brainer for mainlanders to move to the Hawaiin paradise, and the island would be packed with people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: