Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2013, 09:35 AM

225 posts, read 1,092,466 times

Advertisements

Hello all.
I'm currently a cop in the air force stationed in Cheyenne Wyoming, but before that i was stationed in Okinawa Japan for 2 years. I really loved the island living and lifestyle, and was looking to move to Hawaii to work as a police officer after my enlistment is up in 2 years. I know the cost of living in Hawaii is very high but that doesn't bother me just wanna do a job i love in a place i'd really enjoy. I've beeen to maui once when i was a kid and a few days lay overs in Hickam coming to and from deployments and training. I've looked up info on honolulu police and some of the other surronding islands, but was wondering if anybody had personal input on it? I haven't been able to find to many forums about it.
Thank you all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 08:46 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
The application is anywhere from 8 mos to 1 year long (comparable to getting top secret clearance in the military). There is a complete, thorough background check of person, acquaintances, work and finances. The initial written test is primarily grammar, spelling, syntax and word structure. If you pass a complete background packet will be given to you. A written psychological exam would be given and an interview follows with psychologist. The background is then done. Once the administrative background is done you start at the academy, which is about 6 months. This applies only to Oahu.

You can start the process from out of state, but prepared to fly back and forth.

Living in Hawaii IS different, some move over here and find they do not like it. I mention this because this has happened with law enforcement moving here.... they returned home.

Hope this helps.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-02-2013, 03:42 PM

225 posts, read 1,092,466 times
appreciate the help but I've lived on an island before that's very similar to Hawaii (Okinawa) and loved it so as far as living goes Im pretty good there just the interview process is only thing i'm worried about due to flying back and forth

Old 06-12-2013, 02:31 PM

95 posts, read 296,240 times
Good luck. To help you out, just click and get started with your application. I took the test, most of it was common sense but be prepared for a serious background check. I served active duty with plenty of guys that retired and became cops. One of the most recenct additions to the force here from out of town was Montgomery County MD. police chief Moose who was always on the news during the DC sniper hunt a few years ago. Plenty of ex military guys here in law enforecement. HPD is one of the most diverse forces out there and other cities are always hiring away our guys because they know how to do law enforcement in a diverse community.

Join HPD

Old 06-12-2013, 03:50 PM

189 posts, read 282,817 times
We need some good young guys over on the BI! Think about coming over and helping us out in Puna district! I kid but you'll find life in HI is unique in many ways. Honolulu is a great city and there's lots going on. You'll be working in some of the most diverse and random places, so I hope you ready for a not-boring job.

Good luck bro, my buddy is applying to HPD as well, and I wouldn't worry too much about flying back and forth - Pacific pilots are seasoned! Except for those two that fell asleep while flying to Hilo and overshot the runway by about 25 miles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: