Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:45 AM

15 posts, read 19,811 times

Advertisements

Is there anybody in or near Laie and/or Kokololio Beach Park or heading there soon (or know someone nearby)? I was visiting Oahu from the states last week and found a little stray chihuahua (mix?) there (it was brown and less than 5 pounds) that was super friendly and followed us (and everyone) around at our heels and literally jumped in our car when we about to drive away (heartbreaking). It was running around near the main restrooms and the camping field to the left, seeming very stressed and confused. It was thin and had some skin problems, and shied away if we tried to pet it (didn't snarl, bite, or act aggressive in any way...just squinted and backed up), but yet stayed very close when we sat with it, sniffing us and kissing our fingers. We brought it some soft dog food and water from the nearby 7-11 and it did eat, but mostly wanted to just be near us. I was in contact with SPCA, a no-kill shelter, who's willing to take it in, but with the heavy rain at the park during our vacation, I assume it was taking cover and I could not find it again before I flew home last week (we drove 90 minutes round trip almost every day of our vacation to try to find it but didn't have any luck).

If anybody is able to go look for it (ideally a sunny day as it'll likely be out then), I would be willing to offer a $50 thank you upon a safe delivery to the SPCA (or a comparative no-kill that has space - let's chat!) as well as a $50 donation to SPCA (or the other shelter) as well. Please send me a message and we can talk directly and work out details. I am completely devastated that I had to leave before bringing it in and am desperately trying to make sure it will be safe from thousands of miles away. I just want it to have a chance at a new life filled with the love and happiness it deserves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 11:28 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
I'm not on Oahu, but sounds like you belong in Hawaii. I'm sure things will work out with the lost 'ilio.

Aloha

Old 04-03-2013, 05:16 PM

Aw I hope so. I'm still so stressed about it.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:50 AM

13 posts, read 56,989 times
I sure wish I was in Hawaii...can't anybody help find this doggie???

Does anybody have any other resources or places we can spread the word? I know it isn't the only one out there that needs help, but it doesn't mean we can't do everything we can for it!

Old 04-04-2013, 01:25 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,516 times
Don't stress alison03. There are good people that live near that area. Lots of people on the weekends firing up the bar-b-que and hanging out. I am sure that by now the dog has found help. Chihuahua's seem to be pretty desirable here, and with that one's attitude there is no doubt in my mind that it has found help and is healthy and happy by now.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:10 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
If I can talk my other half into swinging up that way I can nonchalantly snoop around. It's a long shot that he's going to go for it. I can't tell him it's for a dog either. UGH. But we haven't been to that area yet so that gives me an edge... ugh. But I'm going to the stables for the first time... I have a lot of sneaky work to do.

Maybe prayers for the 'ilio. I love that! I have an 'ilio of my own!

WARNING there's one shelter that isn't a no kill and they get money for the more dogs they take in, not the more dogs they adopt out. They have a high kill ratio. I want to say it's the Humane Society of Hawaii but don't quote me.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:36 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
Call or e-mail the county parks department if you're still that concerned about the 'ilio lilo.. I'm sure they would know, as the same crews take care of the parks on a daily basis.. And the dogs proximity to the BBQs shouldn't present a problem, given its size

Aloha a poina a'ole, okolemaluna

Old 04-05-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
Don't stress alison03. There are good people that live near that area. Lots of people on the weekends firing up the bar-b-que and hanging out. I am sure that by now the dog has found help. Chihuahua's seem to be pretty desirable here, and with that one's attitude there is no doubt in my mind that it has found help and is healthy and happy by now.
That's what I'm hoping, but we saw tons of campers over the weekend we were there and everyone was just ignoring it. We were on our way to a wedding so couldn't pick it up that day until after, and when we went back it was dark and I assume it was sleeping. I can imagine that people were trying to help, but I had so much trouble getting a hold of shelters (nobody called or wrote me back for days and the ones that did said they were full and referred me to shelters that weren't no-kills).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
If I can talk my other half into swinging up that way I can nonchalantly snoop around. It's a long shot that he's going to go for it. I can't tell him it's for a dog either. UGH. But we haven't been to that area yet so that gives me an edge... ugh. But I'm going to the stables for the first time... I have a lot of sneaky work to do.

Maybe prayers for the 'ilio. I love that! I have an 'ilio of my own!

WARNING there's one shelter that isn't a no kill and they get money for the more dogs they take in, not the more dogs they adopt out. They have a high kill ratio. I want to say it's the Humane Society of Hawaii but don't quote me.
Thank you thank you!! Please let me know...I'll shoot you a message with my email now. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that your sleuthing will pay off...and if nothing else, it's gorgeous over there. And haha I felt bad for my husband - I'm from Hawaii originally abut it was his first time there, and we spent a good portion of every morning driving between Kaneohe and Laie searching for a pup.

And thanks for that info! I think you're right, but not sure either. I called them on the first day when I was searching for shelters and almost nobody responded back besides SPCA (they were great to chat with) and Humane Society - and I was not impressed with the latter. This little one needs some help and I don't think they'd provide it. I didn't realize their high volume of kills either. That's sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Call or e-mail the county parks department if you're still that concerned about the 'ilio lilo.. I'm sure they would know, as the same crews take care of the parks on a daily basis.. And the dogs proximity to the BBQs shouldn't present a problem, given its size

Aloha a poina a'ole, okolemaluna
And I will do that! I can't believe I didn't think of that...I'll look them up and see if they've seen it around lately.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:52 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alison03 View Post
That's what I'm hoping, but we saw tons of campers over the weekend we were there and everyone was just ignoring it.
Sounds like it may have belonged to one of the camping parties and they just let it roam around when they are there. Smart dog to go and hang out with other people to get more food. Makes sense that it would shy away a bit when you would go to pet it, as it is probably used to it's owners.

Perhaps hunterseat finds the pooch, but I suspect it already has a home and is just a clever little tyke who knows how to work the system.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
Sounds like it may have belonged to one of the camping parties and they just let it roam around when they are there. Smart dog to go and hang out with other people to get more food. Makes sense that it would shy away a bit when you would go to pet it, as it is probably used to it's owners.

Perhaps hunterseat finds the pooch, but I suspect it already has a home and is just a clever little tyke who knows how to work the system.
I wouldn't past dogs to figure out how to beat the system. They're smart little buggers!! AND it was super cute too!! That really would be best case scenario, and I tell it to myself to feel better, since I'm so far away and can't do much, but I'm almost positive it isn't.

We also saw it there on the Thursday before when the park was dead empty for the first time. Tried to find it again on Friday (twice) when we knew we had a shelter lined up but no go. Checked Saturday, then looked again on Sunday evening after we went to a wedding but it was super nasty out/dark by that time with no luck. The shelter was closed on Monday but we looked anyway, and of course found it (Murphy's Law at its finest) so hung out for a bit with food and water and had to leave Hawaii 5am Tuesday.

We at first thought it might have a home, but it was soooooo skinny and had fur problems. And shied away when we tried to pet it (almost cowering), yet wanted to be close. When it jumped into our car that first day my chest physically hurt (and yes I cried haha) when we had to leave it behind. The look in its eyes is what I still can't get out of my head - almost pleading with us. My biggest regret is not taking it with us (though not sure what we would've done with it) since we had no clue as to shelters and animal intake on the island or where anything was. I spent the rest of the day researching and once figured out, couldn't get anything to come together before we left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu