Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 03:27 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,943,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
It's been pretty hard to get addresses from VRBO. It shows a map and a block but not an address. Most of them I click on actually says "Address hidden by owner".
Addresses are hidden generally for a couple of reasons - 1) Many of the properties are illegal vacation rentals and 2) Safety - thieves can take the address information to target tourists and their belongings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 08:02 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,474,331 times
Quote:
So I have never used VRBO on my many trips to Hawaii. It might be fine but I've never used it. I find single web sites for Bed and Breakfasts and contact them that way and have never had a scam.
You may have overlooked one of the main features of booking through VRBO, or sites like it... you have a company guaranteeing your rental against fraud, booking errors, etc., whereas with an individual owner you are literally on your own.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:28 PM

431 posts, read 940,925 times
VRBO is loaded with illegal rentals. Ditto for Craig's List.

Whether the person you contact is actually the owner of the property is another thing altogether, but just because they may own the property it doesn't mean that it's necessarily a legally permitted vacation rental.

Here are the addresses of all the LEGAL vacation rentals and B&B's on Oahu---if the rental you're interested in is not on the list, it's illegal, pure and simple.

http://dev.honoluludpp.org/Portals/0.../NUCreport.pdf

You can plug in an address here to find out owner info:

https://www.city-data.com/honolulu-county/

So if the rental is has a legal permit, it will be on the list, you can plug in the address and voila---there is your info.

If the place is not legal and you can't get an address from the "owner" then caveat emptor.

As far as thieves being able to target vacation rentals through published addresses? Well, maybe, but vacation rentals stick out like sore thumbs in our neighborhoods. A quick ride through Kailua and even a dumb thief would be able to scope out and zero in on vacation rentals quite easily. But yes, published addresses might make it a tad easier.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:06 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,227,306 times
Cool, never saw that before. The last place I rented is on there!

Another thing I don't like about VRBO is that they took out the price filter. Have to look through everything without any hi or low start to pricing.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:39 PM

431 posts, read 940,925 times
Quote:
Cool, never saw that before. The last place I rented is on there!
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu