Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 04:42 PM

189 posts, read 283,431 times

Advertisements

If you are looking for some other high-end places, I also love Hy's steakhouse right near Uluniu on Waikiki - You can meet the owner and chat with him a little. I'm sure they'd love more quality waitstaff. When I lived in Honolulu, we'd have lots of work meetings there - great place.

Also, it was a great, minor LOST filming site (they did the Black Rock auction there, with Desmond and Widmore). I think they also used it for a few other 'high-end' shots as well.

Again, if you can work in a high-volume city like Chicago, you'll do great in Honolulu. I'm not sure exactly of your working demeanor, but you can talk story with some of the owners of the bars and bring a tight resume. Not that you'll need it, but some of the higher-end places require it. Good luck brother
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 10:30 PM

5 posts, read 13,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyDave View Post
you might be surprised man - I heard the same thing about Hawai'i jobs/salaries but found myself a job making way more on the Island than on the mainland. So you may find yourself in a similar situation. Also, and remember, you can't put a value on 'quality of life' or 'happiness' (well maybe some can). You may find yourself miles happier just living in Hawai'i which may be worth the change-off in money. But again, I'd bet you'll be surprised after coming here. Please post your after-story, if you remember?
Thanks again for your supportive posts. Quality of life is very important to me so I don't mind making less, though of course, the same or more would be great too I will be sure to post a follow-up of my experiences.

Quote:
I worked as a server my first five years on Oahu. Its pretty tough to get into the super high end places, but I'm sre there are plenty of good restaurants looking for experienced waiters where you can easily make $150 - 200 a night. Try looking at Chai's Bistro, Roy's and Le Bistro in Nui valley, or you can always try the hotels in Waikiki.
Thanks that's good to know.

Quote:
Again, if you can work in a high-volume city like Chicago, you'll do great in Honolulu. I'm not sure exactly of your working demeanor, but you can talk story with some of the owners of the bars and bring a tight resume. Not that you'll need it, but some of the higher-end places require it. Good luck brother
Thanks again, all of you have been very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu