Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 11:28 AM

5 posts, read 13,335 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Oahu in a few months. I'm a waiter and am wondering what other waiters make and how easy/difficult it is to find a job there. I currently work in Chicago and make $250-$300 a night. Were coming with about a 8 months of our combined wages and my partner will work remotely, so I have some leeway there and can make less than what I do now. Any tips or advice is welcome.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 11:53 AM

189 posts, read 283,916 times
I've never waited in HNL, but I can answer some of this question from the other side (the customer side/where I've tipped a bit). Don't kick out Chinatown - there are some really cool/hip places around Hotel St in Chinatown - I know I've dropped quite a bit and tipped well at some of them. Side note, they filmed a lot of the 'China/Vietnam' scenes from LOST there (Achara's Den/Tattoo Parlor). There are some killer places for dim-sum, pu-pu, drinks and sushi. Lots of students and young people work there. Pretty cool 'after-hours' feel to some of them, where I imagine loosely-liquored up Attorneys and Doctors (and college students) may tip quite a bit

I'm sure one of the regulars who lives in HNL has probably waited there and will give you some actual advice versus what I'm doling out to you know. I lived there for a bit and remember spending good money on great food and drinks around Hotel st.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:31 PM

32,732 posts, read 48,366,038 times
Oahu is a tourist destination which means there are lots of restaurants to work at.

The problem you will run into is that tons of people with zero job skills and no funds are moving to Hawaii certain that they can find an unskilled job, and all of them are applying for that same wait job that you want.

Read the rest of the forum, old notes and all , and count up the notes from people saying that they are sure they can get a job as a waiter. You might be a better waiter than they are, but you have to compete with them to get hired.

If there are wait jobs paying $300 a night in tips, the people who have those jobs aren't moving on and giving them up. So that kind of job will be hard to come by.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:43 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,523,751 times
According to US Labor figures there are about 8,800 waiters in Honolulu.

According to Honolulu magazine, their nightly averages range between $100 and $300 a night. Federal figures back this up. Average is a bit less than $12/hour gross income, low is about $8, high is a bit more than $20.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:57 PM

And again, there are some more hip areas (e.g., some places up Hotel st, and the newer places I don't know about) where I know I've personally dropped a heavy amount in food cost and tip. Happy to do it too, because the service was great, the location was fantastic, the decor transported me thousands of miles away and the food/drinks were tops.

So, if I were a waiter and wanted to make some money, I'd check out the places where you'd personally drop heavier amounts of money. Since you work in the field, you have some extra knowledge.

Then again, there's always the argument that you could work at some place that might have lower food cost but longer hours, but you make up with constant flow of people (versus a more 'after-hours' place that may not even open until 5pm or something). Like, making a small amount of money each check but steady over 8 hours, versus higher check amounts for only a few hours. Again, I do not work in this field and would defer to you and your working style/needs.

Again, I'd check it out with my own eyes and ears. Then again, I'd only want to work for places that I would want to frequent, so I may not be the best for advice

Old 06-22-2013, 04:00 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,523,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyDave View Post
Then again, I'd only want to work for places that I would want to frequent, so I may not be the best for advice
I dunno. In my bartending days I worked at a couple of places I'd never go into as a customer.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I dunno. In my bartending days I worked at a couple of places I'd never go into as a customer.
Yeah, you and I are pretty different in that regard then, especially if my wait job were to be the sole income for me to attempt to live in Honolulu on!

I'd be going for the highest places possible if I were OP. I haven't lived in Honolulu for a few years but a dive bar ain't gonna cut it there I'd bet!

Old 06-23-2013, 08:42 AM

5 posts, read 13,335 times
Thanks for all your comments. From what I've seen so far the situation is similar to Chicago. There is stiff competition for the best restaurants (my current job has hired 9 waiters in 3 years for a 35 member wait staff and half of those hired just work lunches) and people stay when the money is good, so it's hard to get on in some places. Chicago is a bit less tourist driven (though trust me we have lots of em) and conventions drive much of the business.

As to the money, I'm not coming with rose colored glasses. I expect to make much less than I currently do and have planned accordingly. I'm more concerned getting into the job market. When I moved to Chicago, I had to start on the low end and work my way up, and though I'm quite a bit older now, I don't mind doing so again.

Someone posted about working at a dive bar. I'd be willing to bet some of the bartenders in the dive bars make serious bank. Dive bars can be some of the best money around (high volume and minimal staff usually equal great $)

Thanks again!

Old 06-23-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpops View Post
As to the money, I'm not coming with rose colored glasses. I expect to make much less than I currently do and have planned accordingly. I'm more concerned getting into the job market. When I moved to Chicago, I had to start on the low end and work my way up, and though I'm quite a bit older now, I don't mind doing so again.
you might be surprised man - I heard the same thing about Hawai'i jobs/salaries but found myself a job making way more on the Island than on the mainland. So you may find yourself in a similar situation. Also, and remember, you can't put a value on 'quality of life' or 'happiness' (well maybe some can). You may find yourself miles happier just living in Hawai'i which may be worth the change-off in money. But again, I'd bet you'll be surprised after coming here. Please post your after-story, if you remember?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpops View Post
Someone posted about working at a dive bar. I'd be willing to bet some of the bartenders in the dive bars make serious bank. Dive bars can be some of the best money around (high volume and minimal staff usually equal great $)
That's what I was saying in my first post - you may find yourself getting just as much (if not more) and a low volume/steady flow dive-ish place versus a more high-end. But please check out Hotel st. around Nu'uanu - there are some amazing bars/restaurants that are seriously amazing looking.

Good luck!

Old 06-23-2013, 04:24 PM

32 posts, read 53,419 times
I worked as a server my first five years on Oahu. Its pretty tough to get into the super high end places, but I'm sre there are plenty of good restaurants looking for experienced waiters where you can easily make $150 - 200 a night. Try looking at Chai's Bistro, Roy's and Le Bistro in Nui valley, or you can always try the hotels in Waikiki.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu