Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 10:11 PM

163 posts, read 317,568 times

Advertisements

Random questions I have in my head as I lay down for the night.

Does anyone have direct tv there? I'm secretly a snickering at the commercial where they say just call and we'll move you. Hehe

Cell wise I have AT&T. Does anyone else have AT&T? If so how is the service? Sometimes those dang coverage maps can be deceiving!

My son collects knives. Can you ship knives? His b'day is Monday and I advised him to ask for money so he can purchase new ones when we get there. As for shipping the old ones???!! Is that legal lol? I have no idea!

As always thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 12:01 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,367,658 times
Found this: http://knife-expert.com/hi.txt

It's old but it might be pertinent.

We have Oceanic Time Warner and wish we didn't. Lesson learned. Whatever the dish network... wish we had it.

I jumped off the cell phone train years ago. I like Straight Talk for $50/mo unlimited everything. I think for a family it might be too much. Or you could get as good a deal from a large provider with a lot of people on your acct.

I think we need to have a CDF-Oahu party when you guys (and others) get over here!

Old 07-12-2013, 12:39 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,964,068 times
A lot of bars have DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket but the reception is often awful on rainy/cloudy days.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:54 AM

152 posts, read 372,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klein5 View Post
Random questions I have in my head as I lay down for the night.

Does anyone have direct tv there? I'm secretly a snickering at the commercial where they say just call and we'll move you. Hehe

Cell wise I have AT&T. Does anyone else have AT&T? If so how is the service? Sometimes those dang coverage maps can be deceiving!

My son collects knives. Can you ship knives? His b'day is Monday and I advised him to ask for money so he can purchase new ones when we get there. As for shipping the old ones???!! Is that legal lol? I have no idea!

As always thanks in advance!

I find that whatever provider, all commercials are still quite LOUD audio compared to programming, regardless of the federal CALM Act operationally effective 2012. In theory, audio is required to match consistency with programming LOUDNESS and NOT blast you. The "consistency" aspect is bypassed by production of ads, where "initial" (or later too) TONES blast you with "ding-ding-ding" or "dong-dong-dong" 20-30 decibels louder than programming. MUTE buttons are essential and wear out quickly. LOL. Good job Congress. Typical. Too, audio of actual conversations in most programming is so low or mumbled, that closed captions is a good resource. Hearing tests may show you have perfect hearing, but, "mumble" filters are required. THEN, BLAST of ads make your ears bleed. Cotton ball production may be a good "stock purchase" choice. Oddly, European TV has had for decades, the PAL system versus our USA NTSC broadcasts. European ads are NOT loud and audio is incredible, back even 40 years ago!
Gee, perhaps greed and $$$ from ads affect the NTSC version ??? Use of mfg systems such as Bose or others, may mitigate or enhance bad audio quality, but, extra costs affect that decision. People may ask themselves the source of ambient stress, and find answers right in front of their eyesight, and ear audio range.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:04 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,103,753 times
I remember that brief moment in time where the TV came with a way to mute the commercial when it detected the bump in volume.

These days I don't think I could watch regular TV without my DVR. I use HawaiianTel for internet and TV, no complaints.

For Cellphone - I don't have any experience with AT&T. Sprint, Verizon and T-Mobile all work great on the island though.

I would think you could ship the knives in flat rate boxes.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:40 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,964,068 times
There are soundbars on the market that detect the bump in volume and adjusts the sound automatically.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:08 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,283,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klein5 View Post
Does anyone have direct tv there? I'm secretly a snickering at the commercial where they say just call and we'll move you.
I've switched between cable, DirecTV and Dish Network many times over the past several decades. Over the long run, the rain fade problem has mostly gone away in recent years. The satellite providers have a 'spot beam' that covers Hawaii. Perhaps the signal is weaker over Hawaii than parts of the mainland. Not all areas would receive the same signal strength, even two different parts of the mainland.

We are currently stuck in a Dish Network contract for another year, after which we are going to 'cut the cable'. Millions are doing the same, going with locals only plus Netflix. A Netflix subscription is better than having 6 premium movie subscriptions and far cheaper at $8 a month. Locals plus Netflix might work for you if your TV viewing habits don't normally include shows that are on 'cable', such as 24 hour news and sports. Hulu Plus has some of the traditional 'cable' channels and is far cheaper. The other advantage of Netflix over premium movie channels is with Netflix, the movie starts at the beginning. With premium movie channels the movie starts in the middle, unless you record the movie first or synchronize your personal TV viewing schedule to the scheduled start time of the movie, which most people don't do.

Over the long haul, cable and satellite TV will go away or diminish and will be replaced by on-demand streaming over the Internet.

There are solutions for eliminating TV commercials in your life. I use SageTV, which is like a Tivo on steroids. You can record 6 programs at once. You can scale up the system to record over 12 at once. You can store thousands of hours if you scale up with many terabytes of storage. We usually watch main the ABC, CBS, and NBC nightly news, plus the local TV news. The software 'learns' your viewing habits and automatically records what you like and what you don't like. You do not have to manually schedule all recordings. I scheduled a John Fogerty concert to be recorded. Later, the software automatically found and recorded another John Fogerty concert that I was unaware of on a different channel because the software 'knew' I liked that type of program.

SageTV automatically records the TV programs for us and automatically 'marks' the commercial blocks. When watching the recorded programs, the commercial blocks are automatically skipped. No manual fast forward is required. That technology has been around for years. I had an old VCR that could 'mark' and autoskip commercials too. If you depend on using manual fast forward, sometimes you forget to fast forward and you've wasted your time watching commercials, until you realize you forgot to hit the fast forward button. Repeatedly manually fast forwarding is a hassle which you can also reduce from your life. We watch several programs that were broadcast at the same time without the annoying commercials. We don't have to choose between one program or another just because they were broadcast at the same time. SageTV has no monthly fee. SageTV was sold to Google, who is still floundering for years like Apple how to create and market a device to record and playback TV. Used SageTV software licenses and used hardware can still be bought today. There are other methods to automatically record TV and automatically skip commercials. You can eliminate TV commercials from your life if you want to. I've been watching TV for many years without commercials. Roughly 1/3 of TV is commercials, 20 minutes out of every hour. You can save a lot of time by automatically removing the commercials from your life. There are some other solutions out there to skip commercials with a monthly fee attached to it. I prefer to a solution that has no monthly fee.

If you want to setup SageTV for yourself, I can give you advise and support how to do it.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:29 AM

152 posts, read 372,692 times
The Roku 2 box (single one time low cost purchase and yours) provides internet streaming of Netflix , and many other sources, that Roku has access to provide as part of the box features. Many are free, PBS programming etc. The box is very small like a pkg of smokes, and you may view currently, 61 channel sites, including Hulu plus, and of course Netflix. You may need a router for added ports , such as from Cisco (cable, DSL router) to allow PC, and Roku connections. All then may be viewed on your TV and easily connected .
To add to davephan above info..SageTV - CNET Download.com
Cnet has download & info

Last edited by OKfine; 07-13-2013 at 10:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu