Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 04:46 PM

431 posts, read 940,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought. 75K for a one or two people is good, gets much more difficult with children.
I just re-read the OP's first post.
Six children.
For a couple with six children, it's my opinion that it's not going to be easy to live on $75K here. The relatively low income and adjustment issues...I would have to consider very carefully whether this is really a good move.
For the OP: have you and your family come over to investigate the housing and schooling issues?

And I'm confused: Is the OP posting with two screen names, "ArmyEngineer" and "tradosaurus"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 05:12 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,818,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyengineer View Post
I just accepted a civilian army engineer position in Oahu as a GS-12.

Pay would most likely be close to $75,000 and hopefully PCS (moving costs) will be covered.

I have a wife and 6 kids that will be coming with me at some point.

I'm going to try to live on Ft. Shafter base housing but I don't know what the rent will be.

Anyone else recently make the move from Texas to Oahu?

Any tips?
I wouldn't do it. Just my opinion.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:24 PM

163 posts, read 317,002 times
I was wondering the same things about the screen name and finances. When I was crunching our income and expenses w three kids I know it will be tough. I don't think we could make it on 75k there. There may be ways that I am not aware of though. Perhaps the wife will be finishing up school soon so she an work too. Maybe some of the kids are grown. Wishing them the best though!

OP- there is a calculator I used online to base what our net would be each month depending on the way you file taxes. That was helpful starting point for us. Then I've asked lots of questions on the price of things etc. Everyone is very helpful, they don't want to see you fail and they try to prepare you for what they can. Sometimes it could be considered as harsh comments but in reality it's much better than having a shock or being faced with false expectations upon arrival.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:01 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,462,187 times
Quote:
I just accepted a civilian army engineer position in Oahu as a GS-12.

Pay would most likely be close to $75,000 and hopefully PCS (moving costs) will be covered.

I have a wife and 6 kids that will be coming with me at some point.
Where in Texas are you coming from? It makes a difference in calculating the difference in costs.

But since you didn't say, I checked a good Cost of Living calculator to compare COL from Dallas to Honolulu to give you something to go on... $75,000/yr in Honolulu is like $35,600/yr in Dallas

Another way to look at it is in terms of the poverty guidelines for Hawai'i. For a family your size the poverty wage is set by the feds at $45,570, and a decent standard of living would be about double that, say... $91,000.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:34 PM

17 posts, read 54,446 times
What I find interesting is that the $75,000 seems to be above average income in Hawaii. I guess military assistance drives up the prices?

Anywho, one person commented that they had 3 kids. I have found that 3 kids or 6 kids or 9 kids is not a lot of difference. BTW, I have 9 kids but 3 are already out of the house.

I think my wife could get a job teaching since she already has a degree in electrical engineering. That would help.

I just have to wait on the official offer, and whether PCS and possible incentives will be offered. I also have a house here that I will either rent out or sell if the situation presents itself.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:38 PM

44 posts, read 64,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
I just re-read the OP's first post.
Six children.
For a couple with six children, it's my opinion that it's not going to be easy to live on $75K here. The relatively low income and adjustment issues...I would have to consider very carefully whether this is really a good move.
For the OP: have you and your family come over to investigate the housing and schooling issues?

And I'm confused: Is the OP posting with two screen names, "ArmyEngineer" and "tradosaurus"?
I looked at what we could afford in rent and believe I can make it work.

Yeah. I changed screen names.

You can speak to me directly if you want instead of in the 3rd person.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:48 PM

431 posts, read 940,592 times
Quote:
I looked at what we could afford in rent and believe I can make it work.

Yeah. I changed screen names.

You can speak to me directly if you want instead of in the 3rd person.
Only you know if you can afford it, I guess. If you think you'll be fine then come on over and give it a fling.

>>Looking left....looking right...<<
How can I speak to you directly if I don't know who's who? There seemed to be two people answering the same questions and it turns out there was only one. So I idly mused and got an explanation.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:20 PM

163 posts, read 317,002 times
Good to know about the kids as we are considering a 4th and people just look at us like we are crazy or something!

As for tips and advice...
The only thing I have found to be really changeling to figure out is the school situation there. Particularly the high schools. We won't be able to send ours to private school. After asking a bazillion questions and doing the research I feel better though. There may be issues that arise, hoping we can handle and adjust as needed. The last thing I need is the kids saying they are miserable etc!

Maybe you can get your move paid for and get some incentives too! You can always use the teaching as a back up plan if needed.

They say the grocery bill can be at its highest the first few months until you know where to shop for certain items at the best price. I'm sure you've prob read all up on the increase in food prices from the mainland. With a total of 9 kids I can only imagine you don't throw money away, you may even be very frugal when it comes to groceries and expenses! I'm sure it will be a snap for y'all. Meanwhile I've got to learn to coupon and how to be thrifty lol!

Old 07-20-2013, 10:28 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,818,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
I have found that 3 kids or 6 kids or 9 kids is not a lot of difference.
There is a HUGE difference if you are going to put them into good schools in Hawaii.
I suggest that you crunch them numbers again.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:36 PM

44 posts, read 64,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
There is a HUGE difference if you are going to put them into good schools in Hawaii.
I suggest that you crunch them numbers again.
We homeschool except for the boys once they get to high school.

Aren't the public schools free? Or did I miss the memo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu