Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 04:05 PM

3 posts, read 4,759 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be relocating to Honolulu in late August / early September. (Yes, we know about the cost of living and yes we know about the traffic. No one has scared us away yet.)

I'm actually wondering if anyone can recommend an extended stay hotel close to downtown Honolulu. And if anyone has good realtor that also works with rentals that would also be helpful.

Thanks much.

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 04:45 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
I've known some people who stayed here and liked it - right downtown:

Aston at the Executive Centre Hotel Hawaii

Old 07-21-2013, 10:04 AM

5 posts, read 13,277 times
Wow. Also moving from Chicago to Honolulu right about the same time. I used Airbnb (https://www.airbnb.com/) to secure a vacation rental for a month while we search for apartments. The site has many search options and the place we got has an owner with over 200 reviews (all mostly positive). The site does not pay owner until after you check in so it should be safe. Best luck to you!

As an aside. I feel the cost of living is quite similar to Chicago, rents are slightly higher (although much more dependent on location) than Chicago. Buying a home is another story. Food is definitely higher than Chicago. As far as traffic goes, I live in the city and use public transport more than anything. But having driven in Oahu quite a bit I've found the traffic situation very similar. It might be slightly worse in some cases, but Hawaiian drivers are MUCH nicer than Chicago drivers!

Old 07-21-2013, 02:22 PM

257 posts, read 491,819 times
Wow, I am so jealous. I am from chicago as well trying to do the same but unfortunately i have a business to run here...someday. Anyhow, monthly condo rental might be the best bet but if you insist on hotel, I've stayed at Waikiki banyan which was one of more spacious value hotel via hotwire for about 70/ night. I only stayed there for 2 nights but I could see myself shacking there for a bit due to spaciousness and it wasn't bad at all.

Jpops, I agree. I drive to west loop from Addison & Kennedy everyday and I think traffic is about equal. The big difference I see is you get less space and less bang(I.e. granite, ss appliance etc) for your buck in housing. Gas was cheaper in HI and let's not talk about the taxes in chicago.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimm0818 View Post
My wife and I will be relocating to Honolulu in late August / early September. (Yes, we know about the cost of living and yes we know about the traffic. No one has scared us away yet.)

I'm actually wondering if anyone can recommend an extended stay hotel close to downtown Honolulu. And if anyone has good realtor that also works with rentals that would also be helpful.

Thanks much.

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpops View Post
Wow. Also moving from Chicago to Honolulu right about the same time. I used Airbnb (https://www.airbnb.com/) to secure a vacation rental for a month while we search for apartments. The site has many search options and the place we got has an owner with over 200 reviews (all mostly positive). The site does not pay owner until after you check in so it should be safe. Best luck to you!

As an aside. I feel the cost of living is quite similar to Chicago, rents are slightly higher (although much more dependent on location) than Chicago. Buying a home is another story. Food is definitely higher than Chicago. As far as traffic goes, I live in the city and use public transport more than anything. But having driven in Oahu quite a bit I've found the traffic situation very similar. It might be slightly worse in some cases, but Hawaiian drivers are MUCH nicer than Chicago drivers!
You'll be ok. You can walk down kalakalua without having a death grip on your iPhone while shopping for prada loafers unlike us Chicagoans.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I've known some people who stayed here and liked it - right downtown:

Aston at the Executive Centre Hotel Hawaii
We are not all filthy rich like you viper!. I'm sure Trump isn't too bad there.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:30 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
The op didn't specify a budget and the Aston is only $180/night for extended stays - and requested near downtown - not sure why the remark, that is a reasonably priced extended stay hotel downtown.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
The op didn't specify a budget and the Aston is only $180/night for extended stays - and requested near downtown - not sure why the remark, that is a reasonably priced extended stay hotel downtown.
Viper, layoff the venom juice for breakfast please, I kid I kid!!!

Old 07-21-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Sorry I missed the downtown part....I've stayed at Hawaii prince as well. Slightly cheaper than the Aston but very nice hotel. Very quiet. Cool thing was they had sliding windows in my room facing the beach. Only negative was their internet speed was back to 1928 54kbps speed and they charge you. Basically the Only website I could go to was google.com

Old 07-21-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpops View Post

To put things in perspective, valet parking at hotels were around 30-40 at hotels in Honolulu and I thought that was a lot but just last week I was at Sheraton hotel on Columbus dr., valet was $60. I never realized how expensive chicago is for a tourist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu