Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2013, 10:22 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,697,702 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I just want to say that I recently returned from a trip to Honolulu and I have to say that I've travelled to many different cities around the world and Honolulu is the best city in the world by far. A lot of people say that my home city of Vancouver is the best city and it ranks very well on world quality of life indexes but anyone who knows Vancouver, knows that it has its problems. Of course, Honolulu isn't perfect and has its problems and many of the same problems that Vancouver has, Honolulu has too but I got the sense that they seem somehow a bit less severe. Like the homeless problem is probably just as bad in Honolulu as in Vancouver but at least in Honolulu you have the benefit of a good climate.
Overall the positives for Honolulu that make it such a special place IMO are:

- No dangerous land animals like most tropical areas (gators, snakes)
- Very few mosquitoes/bugs. I know there are cockroaches from what I've heard but that seems very minor compared to the amount of bugs you have to deal with in some tropical climates
- Awesome food. I like all the different Asian cuisines you can get there. I love the fact that on the side of the highway on the north shore they have those food trucks and fruit stands where you can get local food. Simply awesome!
- Friendly people who seem not to be in a hurry to go anywhere and take life in stride. I love the Hawaiian attitude to life! Hang loose! Most people are in a good mood and nobody ever honks their horn on the road.
- Scenery is absolutely stunning with the green volcanic mountains and gorgeous sometimes deserted beaches (especially during the week) at almost every turn just outside the city.
- Tap water was the softest and sweetest I've tasted almost anywhere unlike other places I've been.

I can only hope that one day I might have the benefit and privilege of living and/or retiring in Honolulu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 10:51 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,740,718 times
I like Honolulu too. On my first visit, on the bus to the airport for my return flight, we passed a contruction sit with all the workers eating their lunches with chopsticks. For some reason that nailed it for me and I ended up living there for eleven years. I hope you will have this experience too. Good luck!

Old 08-17-2013, 01:44 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
Awesome feedback for a city that I sometimes don't appreciate. My attitude is tainted by personal issues, to be fair. The beaches, climate and natural beauty here is unmatched anywhere.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:19 PM

392 posts, read 806,788 times
I agree to all of that except maybe for food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: