Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 03:34 PM

749 posts, read 853,360 times

Advertisements

Well, TrappedInTheMatrix, fitting screen name btw, asbestos has not been used for 40 years or so in the Real world but here, yeah, they made you sign a paper agreeing to be poisoned, etc. Actually I can be of no assistance to you, sorry, no idea what dept. of whatever to contact..........but please stop tossing your cat about, true you must protect him/her but Gently, maybe just move to a newer place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 03:47 PM

10 posts, read 18,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
I'm beginning to see the landlord's/mgmt's side now.

You know the old saying... you cannot please everyone.
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand…..is it I who cannot please the shady mgmt to or is it mgmt who would find it difficult to "please" someone by NOT demanding they expose themselves to a carcinogen?

Old 08-21-2015, 05:09 PM

959 posts, read 1,217,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedIntheMatrix View Post
Is this rental company messed up? If there was any chance of asbestos, wouldn't it be illegal for them to demand that I start tearing into the wall?! Should they be responsible for having someone come test for asbestos since I could possibly be exposed. Does anyone know what department or office would handle something like this? Health dept, EPA… all I keep getting online is mesothelioma lawyers,
Well, their responsibility is to provide you with the form acknowledging that, because of the age of the building, asbestos or lead paint may be present. the government requires the same disclosure when you purchase or sell a house the was built before a certain year ( I think it's in the 1970's).

If you feel you are not comfortable with that disclosure, then you choose not to rent the unit and find a different one. They would need to give you that same disclosure even if they had tested and knew there was no lead or asbestos.

Sounds like the management company did what they are required to do to. They are not required to remediate a unit and guarantee no possibility of lead or asbestos exists.

We don't allow people to put reflective film or tint film on windows at my building either. And curtains facing out must be white. it helps maintain a better and more cohesive look for the building.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:23 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,111,072 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand…..is it I who cannot please the shady mgmt to or is it mgmt who would find it difficult to "please" someone by NOT demanding they expose themselves to a carcinogen?
As mentioned earlier, therapy would be helpful for you. I'm not trying to insult you, just being honest. Fear of roaches that supersedes the fear of being robbed at gunpoint; fear of your cat contracting mesothelioma from sniffing a smattering of concrete/ceiling popcorn powder, etc. These are all extremely irrational fears/concerns and it seems to be the central theme to your experience here on Oahu.

You clearly cannot please people with irrational fears. It is impossible.

Last edited by pj737; 08-21-2015 at 05:32 PM..

Old 08-21-2015, 06:06 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Given the extremely tight rental market - I suspect most landlords wouldn't mind letting you out of your lease since they can rent it again quickly probably at a higher rate.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:54 AM

Maybe I say too much? My question here was not about feline mesothelioma or about the mgmt informing me of asbestos… my concern was with the fact that they have demanded that I drill into what could potentially be asbestos…
Is that not a valid concern? Isn't disrupting the asbestos that thing that makes it dangerous?

Like tdr22 said "asbestos has not been used for 40 years or so in the Real world but here, yeah"
so yes, I admit I am clueless about this material and the laws about it because I never had to deal with it before, hence the reason for my asking what dept, office, professional can provide expert advice…. but all I seem to get on this forum is a lot of personal views.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Maybe I say too much? My question here was not about feline mesothelioma or about the mgmt informing me of asbestos… my concern was with the fact that they have demanded that I drill into what could potentially be asbestos…
Is that not a valid concern? Isn't disrupting the asbestos that thing that makes it dangerous?

Like tdr22 said "asbestos has not been used for 40 years or so in the Real world but here, yeah"
so yes, I admit I am clueless about this material and the laws about it because I never had to deal with it before, hence the reason for my asking what dept, office, professional can provide expert advice…. but all I seem to get on this forum is a lot of personal views.
You're being unreasonable.

Since the HOA disallows attachment of curtains to the window itself, why are you putting blame on the management company for "forcing" you to drill holes in the ceiling? What other options can the management company provide you? Levitation device? Magical curtains?

Instead, you should be going onto forums and asking what is the safe way to drill into ceilings that may or may not contain asbestos. Are there companies or individuals that can perform the work for you for little cost? (the answer is yes) Is drilling a handful of very small holes and containing the dust in a wet/damp cloth in a room free of air movement safe enough to contain the possible asbestos fibers? (the answer is yes)

What tdr22 said is not true... Hawaii is not a unique place for asbestos - it's been used widely across all 50 states for many decades. The laws in place to protect you against exposure are no different than those laws in other states - protection is under federal law - not state law. State laws differ on how to handle people that have been exposed to asbestos and how courts deal with the legal ramifications of asbestos exposure.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
You're being unreasonable.

Since the HOA disallows attachment of curtains to the window itself, why are you putting blame on the management company for "forcing" you to drill holes in the ceiling? What other options can the management company provide you? Levitation device? Magical curtains?
WTF… where ever did u get the idea that curtains go on the ceiling? Curtains go on the wall…
to cover the windows…
which are also…. on the wall.
What I'm saying is that my particular walls have no brackets or holes to hang windows from and my lease clearly says that making holes is not allowed. so if the rental company knows that curtains are the only window covering allowed, then why wouldn't the unit already have at least holes for new curtains to be installed, instead of asking a tenant to drill holes, which is not only against the lease, but also dangerous if asbestos is present.

Again, I am not on here looking to entertain people's personal opinions or give curtain hanging lessons, and while I appreciate you taking the time to follow me from thread to thread, I really would prefer if you could refrain from further stalking or "answering" if you cannot actually provide an answer to the question that was asked.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:47 PM

182 posts, read 356,721 times
Go to Walmart or wherever and buy some tension rods that fit into the window frames, and then hang your curtains. No drilling required.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChezAloha View Post
Go to Walmart or wherever and buy some tension rods that fit into the window frames, and then hang your curtains. No drilling required.
Tension rods only work for small windows (width and height) and only support lightweight fabric curtains. They are impractical for most windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: