Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 02:58 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,410 times

Advertisements

What do your neighbors use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 03:57 PM

749 posts, read 852,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedIntheMatrix View Post
WTF… where ever did u get the idea that curtains go on the ceiling? Curtains go on the wall…
to cover the windows…
which are also…. on the wall.
What I'm saying is that my particular walls have no brackets or holes to hang windows from and my lease clearly says that making holes is not allowed. so if the rental company knows that curtains are the only window covering allowed, then why wouldn't the unit already have at least holes for new curtains to be installed, instead of asking a tenant to drill holes, which is not only against the lease, but also dangerous if asbestos is present.

Again, I am not on here looking to entertain people's personal opinions or give curtain hanging lessons, and while I appreciate you taking the time to follow me from thread to thread, I really would prefer if you could refrain from further stalking or "answering" if you cannot actually provide an answer to the question that was asked.
Right, they say no drilling holes yet expect curtains to magically appear, ugh, tenants are often put in weird lose/lose situations. The concern that it may be less than healthy to breathe the 'wall dust', asbestos or not is reasonable, esp for a small pet.

Maybe call your rental company and just ask their advice and maybe also ask for a sort of waiver allowing you to tear up the wall a bit (almost impossible Not to do) to comply with this curtain requirement.

I would wear a mask and put pets in another room while working on this so even if there is asbestos you have done all you really can do to protect yourself and family.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:51 PM

182 posts, read 356,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Tension rods only work for small windows (width and height) and only support lightweight fabric curtains. They are impractical for most windows.
As a veteran of living in military housing for many years, and unable to drill holes to put up conventional curtain rods, I know from experience that tension rods come in various lengths and widths. There are tension rods available that will fit even very wide windows and can hold heavier fabrics. Do a search on Amazon under "curtain rods spring tension." They're not a perfect solution, but if you can't or don't want to drill, they work just fine.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
I find it interesting someone would rent a unit that has no curtains, shades, blinds, etc at all......

Old 08-22-2015, 08:25 PM

749 posts, read 852,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I find it interesting someone would rent a unit that has no curtains, shades, blinds, etc at all......
I find it interesting that someone thinks all rental units come with curtains, shades, blinds or etc.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:25 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
I find it interesting that someone thinks all rental units come with curtains, shades, blinds or etc.
Seriously? I've rented in the past - own rental units - and I've never seen a place you bring your own curtains, shades, or blinds. Since I've equipped several homes with either blinds or curtains and they can run $5K+ I find it hard to believe it is a common occurrence.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:51 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedIntheMatrix View Post
WTF… where ever did u get the idea that curtains go on the ceiling? Curtains go on the wall…
to cover the windows…
which are also…. on the wall.
What I'm saying is that my particular walls have no brackets or holes to hang windows from and my lease clearly says that making holes is not allowed. so if the rental company knows that curtains are the only window covering allowed, then why wouldn't the unit already have at least holes for new curtains to be installed, instead of asking a tenant to drill holes, which is not only against the lease, but also dangerous if asbestos is present.

Again, I am not on here looking to entertain people's personal opinions or give curtain hanging lessons, and while I appreciate you taking the time to follow me from thread to thread, I really would prefer if you could refrain from further stalking or "answering" if you cannot actually provide an answer to the question that was asked.

How do you think condo renters/owners hang curtains/blinds when they have a window wall or curtain wall system? Have you never seen a window, window system or sliding glass door that runs floor to ceiling or from some point on the wall all the way to the ceiling? Ceiling mounted curtains and blinds are ridiculously common because they are the only option for many condo owners/renters.

And why are you even worried that the lease (which is provided by the property manager) says no drilling if the actual property manager him/herself is telling you to go ahead and drill? Why waste your time worrying about that? Good grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: