Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 05:53 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,825,425 times

Advertisements

Hey "Oldtimers,"
I was having a conversation about places where I use to eat for cheap and I mentioned a restaurant, which I thought was called Henry's that was located at the corner of Nimitz and Puuloa (I think). Does anyone else remember this place? I think a dealership or rental place is there now. Did they go out of business or did they move elsewhere; while there, I could never get an answer.

Another place I went to was a Chinese Drive In Restaurant located in the large parking lot near the old Moanalua Shopping Center, which has now been revamped and newer chain places have moved in. Does anyone know if that place went under or did they move elsewhere?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 11:31 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,252,336 times
A lot of the old time small restaurants all over town are selling or having their leases not renewed, sad really, they were some of the best places to go to.
Sorry i don't have any more information on Nimitz hwy. I don't really get down that way to much ever since they (the city). Started all the beatification work down on Nimitz and at last fixing all the pot holes, about time!

If your asking about Moanalua shopping center off Kam Hwy in Aiea, across from Cutter Ford. Its all restaurants in the shopping center with one after another, with a few Businesses mixed in, and a small Korean store.
There is just the parking lot now, not the drive through Chinese restaurant, for all the other restaurants. There used to be a gas station on the corner years ago, but someone built a new building with other retailers in the building. Just opened this year, across the way from Zippy's.
Scott

Last edited by ScottStielow; 10-21-2013 at 11:39 PM.. Reason: Added information

Old 10-21-2013, 11:59 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,514,080 times
I'm not sure about the Restaurant on Nimitz Hwy. Let me sleep on it and maybe I will remember the name of it. I do remember the old Chinese restaurant that was in the Moanalua Shopping Center across the street from the Navy Marine Golf Course. It's long gone and never reopened in a new location. I used to eat there at least once a week back in the 90s up until about 2004 (???).

Old 10-22-2013, 01:01 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
Hey "Oldtimers,"
I was having a conversation about places where I use to eat for cheap and I mentioned a restaurant, which I thought was called Henry's that was located at the corner of Nimitz and Puuloa (I think). Does anyone else remember this place? I think a dealership or rental place is there now. Did they go out of business or did they move elsewhere; while there, I could never get an answer.

Another place I went to was a Chinese Drive In Restaurant located in the large parking lot near the old Moanalua Shopping Center, which has now been revamped and newer chain places have moved in. Does anyone know if that place went under or did they move elsewhere?

Thanks in advance!
Aloha, are you talking about Henry Loui's Restaurant on Paa St? really close to the address you gave? Here see if its this restaurant bruddah?

Henry Loui's Restaurant Reviews, Honolulu, Hawaii - TripAdvisor

Old 10-22-2013, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
Hey "Oldtimers,"

Thanks in advance!
Ok not sure about 2nd place but you might try and find it on this list. Best list i can find of old ono grindz places. Good luck

Oahu Eateries Memorialized | The Tasty Island

Old 10-22-2013, 05:11 PM

82 posts, read 205,336 times
The restaurant on Nimitz Highway near Puuloa was Kelly's Coffee Shop. South Seas Cycles is there now...Anyone remember Koko's at Kalakaua and Kapiolani ?

Old 10-22-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kualoa View Post
The restaurant on Nimitz Highway near Puuloa was Kelly's Coffee Shop. South Seas Cycles is there now...Anyone remember Koko's at Kalakaua and Kapiolani ?
Kokos sounds familiar, oh ya after seeing the picture of the place ya ya, my mother would take me there once in awhile after her shift at work. It was open 24hrs right? but i can be wrong havent been home since the mid 80s.

Coco's Coffee House, Waikiki, HI (restaurant) -- Tiki Central

Here some pics. Aloha and enjoy

Old 10-23-2013, 12:05 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kualoa View Post
That's it!!!! I've been wracking my brain all day.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-23-2013, 05:50 AM

Mahalo everyone. Yeah, I think you're correct about Kelly's, not sue why I thought it was Henry's.
Hawaiian by Heart, I've eaten at Henry Loui's as well, but not the same place.
Too bad about the Chinese Drive In, I liked their food.

Again Mahalo!

Old 10-23-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Ok not sure about 2nd place but you might try and find it on this list. Best list i can find of old ono grindz places. Good luck

Oahu Eateries Memorialized | The Tasty Island
Looking at this list brings back great memories. My husband and I started our "Date Night" tradition at the Pearl City Tavern , Aka, "The Monkey Bar."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu