Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 08:02 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times

Advertisements

The knowledge i have dosnt change with time, its been the same now as 50 years, only different names and people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 08:31 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Worse than I thought.

Denial - children, therapy, adults, examples, person, people, used, personality, theory

No such thing as meetup.com until recently.

Time changes everything.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Worse than I thought.

Denial - children, therapy, adults, examples, person, people, used, personality, theory

No such thing as meetup.com until recently.

Time changes everything.
You know thats not what i meant. Hawai'ian songs are the same songs different ppl singing, Kahiko hula is the same dances, folklore obake stories are pretty much the same. What took someone to be a local 50 years ago is the same now. The local rules and customs are the same. Mainland Malihini's attitudes comming and living in Hawai'i i see is the same lol.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:31 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
What took someone to be a local 50 years ago is the same now. The local rules and customs are the same.
Maybe, maybe not. I can't answer for sure but from what my uncle has told me, the whole Local vs Haole thing didn't really start until somewhere in the 1970's or 1980's and even then it was mostly just a few of the surfers trying to protect their break.

Also, it does seem to me that more and more with each passing year the youth in Hawaii are moving away from traditional ways and towards current pop culture ways. I have read a lot about how many of the older folks are trying to reverse this. Not sure if it is working or not though. I do see some evidence of this like the keiki we saw at the park in Na'alehu practicing hula. We have also seen school groups on field trips where they are learning how to care for the aina and plant things like kalo. But honestly it just looks like a drop in the bucket.

Last edited by McFrostyJ; 10-27-2013 at 09:42 PM..

Old 10-27-2013, 10:26 PM

@McFrostyJ

Your prob right, alot of the hostilities during the 70s and 80s was because about that time mainland interests startted really to destroy the aina,not respecting local interests and culture. In my opinion, its the same assimilate or die, might is right mentality that it has been thru the ages. Idk my auntie and uncle talked alot about the older days and stuff like local culture etc, in my small kid time.

The same assimilate or die and might is right is why they are making efferts to restore Hawai'ian culture, but i also talk about local culture which i was refering to, its like what Jungjohann was saying it depends which circle your exposed to. McFrostyJ you know i defently don't want to come across as the know it all or mister Hawai'i. I can always be wrong and learn new things. I learn new things from you, Jungjohann, OpenD, Kawena, kaimuki and others everyday.

@op sorry don't mean to hijack your thread, forgive me for my disrespect.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 10-27-2013 at 10:40 PM..

Old 10-31-2013, 10:00 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I can't answer for sure but from what my uncle has told me, the whole Local vs Haole thing didn't really start until somewhere in the 1970's or 1980's and even then it was mostly just a few of the surfers trying to protect their break.

Also, it does seem to me that more and more with each passing year the youth in Hawaii are moving away from traditional ways and towards current pop culture ways. I have read a lot about how many of the older folks are trying to reverse this. Not sure if it is working or not though. I do see some evidence of this like the keiki we saw at the park in Na'alehu practicing hula. We have also seen school groups on field trips where they are learning how to care for the aina and plant things like kalo. But honestly it just looks like a drop in the bucket.

I'd disagree on that. The Hawaiian language, ways and knowledge seem to be making a resurgence, with a lot of youth.

Maybe it's just with the kids I know, but many of them are wanting to go into farming, studying marine biology (hey gotta make a living), know Hawaiian, and are very into Hawaiiana in general. Maybe it's just because I know a lot of kids in Kamehameha, but I see it in other kids too.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu