Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 10:14 AM

217 posts, read 640,865 times

Advertisements

When I climbed Diamond Head I was inappropriately dressed in slippers, since that's what I wear all the time! (flip-flops) Well I made it, no blisters, but huffed and puffed! The little older lady wearing HIGH HEELS sure did give me some looks when she walked right past me! They were mules, not REAL high, but STILL - she rocked!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 06:24 PM

35 posts, read 69,169 times
Don't know your age or physical fitness but Diamond Head is not a walk in the park. The steps up Diamond Head are steep and open to the full sun. If you decide against it and have a rental car, you can drive to the center of the crater. There is a nice park, restrooms, a food truck (usually), and exhibits with the history of Diamond Head.
Pearl Harbor is a good place to spend several hours above and beyond visiting the Arizona. Lots of very informative plaques are in the area. You may also enjoy visiting Punchbowl. It is the Arlington Cemetery of the Pacific. The chapel is open air and beautiful.
Have a good time.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:35 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,769,079 times
Cant speak for Diamond Head because in all the years I lived there I never climbed it but with such a short time to spend I'd look into a bus tour. Call Roberts Hawaii or check their website, there are others also. See the most with the least hassle. Whatever you do, enjoy!

Old 10-31-2013, 11:50 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,353,566 times
I thought Diamond Head was pretty easy but it sure depends on your fitness level. If you're not fit, there's not time like the present! So, if you can do cardio 3 times a week with no trouble you'll do fine! (for all I know you run marathons)

Old 10-31-2013, 07:41 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,102,283 times
Diamond head Hike:
There are stairs near the end that might be tough for some folks, but that's about it. If you can climb ~6 flights of stairs, at a normal pace and be ok, you should have no problem with the Diamond Head hike. The rest is much like walking up a mild incline. There are railings anywhere it is steep on the side of the trail.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:48 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,228,006 times
I hear that the Diamond Head hike has lit stairways inside the mountain now. Was a little freaky when it was pitch dark and no one remembered a flash light. Well worth the climb to the top. And get the certificate if they still hand them out.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:46 PM

157 posts, read 219,143 times
A belated update. We had a great day on Oahu. Got up early, hiked Diamond Head -- it was amazing and not too rough for us -- then found our way to Leonard's for amazing malasadas. After that a brisk walk on the beach at Waikiki, then a quick trip to the art museum where we had a nice lunch. We spent the rest of the afternoon at Pearl Harbor including the USS Arizona tour. It was a really moving experience. After that we drove to the airport only to find our flight delayed (never again will I fly on Go Airlines). Thanks again, everyone, for the advice!

Old 04-10-2014, 12:00 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Good news. You don't have to worry about Go airlines. They stopped flying in Hawaii.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:49 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,281,714 times
We didn't bother renting a car since we only stayed two days on Oahu and we did not want to pay the hotel to park the car there or anywhere else. We met with the concierge at our hotel that arrange the Arizona tour. The tour did not cost much and it was very easy to setup. All we had to do is to walk a couple blocks to the shuttle bus pickup location the next day. We discovered the best time to visit is early in the morning before the large crowds get there. When you get there, you can take secondary tours. We also went on the submarine tour. No food or drinks are allowed on the tours, so you have to ditch those items before you take the boat over to the memorial. I don't remember if umbrellas were allowed. It wasn't raining the day we went, so we did not have umbrellas with us.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:13 PM
md7

28 posts, read 36,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornblitz View Post
We will be in Honolulu on a Saturday in early December (arriving the night before, and leaving on a 7 pm flight for Maui). We are staying in a hotel on Paoakalani Avenue.

So we have less than a full day in Honolulu, and are interested in visiting the USS Arizona Memorial and possibly Diamond Head. Any suggestions on how to best pull this off? Should we rent a car?

Thanks for your assistance!
I'd rent a car; it'll give you somewhere to put your luggage. I think those 2 places will occupy your day; assuming you are going to visit the park on top of diamond head?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu