Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 04:21 PM

280 posts, read 473,691 times

Advertisements

Can I take the bus from the HNL Airport to Wakiki Beach area, specifically The Lotus in diamond head?

Also, my plane lands around 9pm does the bus still run that late on a Friday? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 04:46 PM

It looks like I can take either Route 19 or 20 and pull the cord at stop T near the end of the line.

Correct me if I am wrong here, and also does anyone know about how long that route takes to go from the airport to Diamond head?

Old 11-05-2013, 04:50 PM

960 posts, read 1,219,100 times
Bus 19 runs from the airport down pretty close to your hotel ... A little walking still required. And it runs late into the night. Check The Bus website for info.

You'd be better taking a shuttle to your hotel though. Faster, easier and more convenient. It would cost about $18 each way.

The bus may restrict your luggage depending on how much you bring.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:54 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui-intoxicated View Post
Can I take the bus from the HNL Airport to Wakiki Beach area, specifically The Lotus in diamond head?
Yup.

Quote:
Also, my plane lands around 9pm does the bus still run that late on a Friday? Thanks!
The schedule shows the #19 at 9:31pm, or 10:06pm, takes about an hour, 427 foot walk at the end, $2.50

You can check details at TheBus

Baggage rules are here: (Basically, small luggage that fits under seats only)
http://www.thebus.org/howtoride/RulesReg.asp?l=

Or

Use the handy Directions feature at Google Maps, which allows you to request directions from Point A to point B, via walking, biking, car, or bus. And they're integrated with local transit schedules, so it's really handy to use, even from a smart phone, all over the country. I use it constantly when I travel. https://maps.google.com/

Have fun!

Last edited by OpenD; 11-05-2013 at 05:02 PM..

Old 11-05-2013, 04:57 PM

Thanks guys. Honestly I haven'r riden a bus much before nor have I been to Oahu so I wanted to ensure I understood the process properly as I did. Great to know I have figured out bus schedules.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Bus 19 runs from the airport down pretty close to your hotel ... A little walking still required. And it runs late into the night. Check The Bus website for info.

You'd be better taking a shuttle to your hotel though. Faster, easier and more convenient. It would cost about $18 each way.

The bus may restrict your luggage depending on how much you bring.

I thought about snagging a shuttle, and after seeing the number of bus stops before my destination I think I will agree with you. I was trying to avoid renting a car while on Oahu and forego added expenses while adding to the experience, but I might need to just bite the bullet on a rental car.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:07 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,102,283 times
I prefer to use Waikiki Trans

They have a flat rate to and from the airport under $20, I think it's $10 to waikiki. You call 1-2 days prior to the time you need the ride and set it up with them. I have used them a few times this year already, it's a great deal.

Not sure about the bus, but you should be able o look that up. thebus.org (yeah, someone was smart to buy that domain name.)

edit - Takes about 20-30min to get to Diamond Head from the airport on the shuttle if they don't have other drop off's on the way.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:09 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui-intoxicated View Post
I thought about snagging a shuttle, and after seeing the number of bus stops before my destination I think I will agree with you. I was trying to avoid renting a car while on Oahu and forego added expenses while adding to the experience, but I might need to just bite the bullet on a rental car.
Keep in mind that in addition to the car rental that parking at the Lotus will cost you $20/day.

Depending on what you are interested in, taking a shuttle to and from the hotel, and The Bus to get around to things you want to do is pretty doable. There's even visitor bus passes available. See the site.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:51 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,875,806 times
Speedi shuttle seems to be the game player for the last few years. https://www.speedishuttle.com/reservations About $13.50 each way although you will get discounted coupons in Waikiki for less from other shuttles. I did an off price shuttle from the Lotus and was a little spooked when they did not show up on time. About 15 minutes late an older van showed up with driver and her child. I was only passenger and driver did a very different way to H-1. Was I being kidnapped? It was way shorter and I've lived in Honolulu but never thought of this route. Since I was the only passenger we arrived at the airport way early. Tipped way better for the convenience.

What's happened to Roberts? They used to do the BIG bus shuttles for about $8.00 each way. The Speedi does small vans but seems to make the same amount of stops so it seems they take about the same amount of time. I do the Bus to return or pick up my rental car as I stay several months and just use a rental the 1st and last week. The Bus sucks for this trip but I'm prepared with a book and/or charged smart phone. Your stop is #161 in front of the Elks Club next to the Outrigger Canoe Club next to the Colony Surf next to the Lotus. Say aloha to Melissa in the bar.

Oops! Here they are. http://www.airportwaikikishuttle.com/

Last edited by honobob; 11-05-2013 at 08:31 PM..

Old 11-05-2013, 09:29 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Speedi shuttle seems to be the game player for the last few years. https://www.speedishuttle.com/reservations About $13.50 each way although you will get discounted coupons in Waikiki for less from other shuttles. I did an off price shuttle from the Lotus and was a little spooked when they did not show up on time. About 15 minutes late an older van showed up with driver and her child. I was only passenger and driver did a very different way to H-1. Was I being kidnapped? It was way shorter and I've lived in Honolulu but never thought of this route. Since I was the only passenger we arrived at the airport way early. Tipped way better for the convenience.

What's happened to Roberts?
They lost the last 5 year contract.

State picks SpeediShuttle for Honolulu airport shuttle - [domain blocked due to spam]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu