Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2009, 10:30 PM

8 posts, read 29,814 times

Advertisements

Hello all!
We planned for months and months for our move to Honolulu. We made the move 12/31/08. We have an apartment in Makiki, one bedroom. We bought a truck. Now we are looking for jobs. Hubby has been in warehouse management for 19 years in Texas with the same company. He is prepared to do anything really to pay the bills, but wants to be close to here, not on the highways forever.

Does anyone have any suggestions of places he can check? I have maybe secured a job at a local bank pending the background check, but so far the island and the people have really been amazing. We love it here so far. It will only get better when we get jobs and settle in to a routine.

We saved enough to have a year with out worrying about not having a job, but oh so nice to not have to touch it.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 11:30 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Have him go to the places he'd like to work and ask them if they need any employees. Sometimes employers don't want to go through the bother of advertising for new workers but could use one. Start at the apartment and try the places he can walk to first, then go for bicycle distance. Offer to work part time just to start. Once he has a job, then he can work into a better one.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:15 AM

806 posts, read 2,341,998 times
Congratulations!!
Time for some huli huli chicken!!

Old 01-09-2009, 07:02 PM

116 posts, read 397,420 times
Default Welcome

What part of Texas did you move from?

Check out the Honolulu Advertiser and Honolulu Star Bulletin for job listings. Also, you may be receiving a weekly paper in the mail called Mid-Week, they have job listings too. Mid-Week is published by the Star-Bulletin.

hotzkatz's suggestions are great if you're trying to avoid being stuck on the freeways. However, a lot of the warehouse jobs are going to be in the Mapunapuna/Salt Lake, Airport, and Campbell Industrial Park (Kapolei) side of the island. So, some type of commute will probably be needed.

Enjoy the islands, they are wonderful when you approach it as an adventure!

Old 01-09-2009, 10:53 PM

838 posts, read 3,097,917 times
I take the shrimps from shrimp shacks over huli huli chicken anyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAILANI View Post
Congratulations!!

Old 01-10-2009, 12:16 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,943,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemichelle1969 View Post
Hubby has been in warehouse management for 19 years in Texas with the same company.
I have no idea whether they are hiring, but I know a company that has needed a competant warehouse manager for DECADES!

Fischer Hawaii, Office and Home Products Warehouse.
450 Cooke St, Honolulu tel 524 8770.

This place is the most cluttered, crammed, dusty, and disorganized store I have ever been in.

But I shop there! They have everything! (And even a few people who can help you find it.)

Hank

Old 01-10-2009, 01:30 AM

Default Much thanks!!

I took the address down and gave it to him...as well as the other suggestions. I am going to have to look into the huli huli chicken. Sounds yummy! We came from Dallas where I was born and raised. He is from Idaho and Vegas.

We are so loving life right now.

Thanks to everyone!!

Old 01-11-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAILANI View Post
Congratulations!!
Ok...I accidentally ran across the huli huli chicken and made a U-turn on your recommendation. And I must say you have a friend for LIFE!!! We got it at 10:00 this morning and I have been snacking on it all day. Amazing..thank you so very much. I know where I will be every saturday morning now!!

Old 01-12-2009, 11:07 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,943,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemichelle1969 View Post
Ok...I accidentally ran across the huli huli chicken and made a U-turn.
I hope the chicken did not suffer long!

Old 10-25-2009, 09:45 PM

806 posts, read 2,341,998 times
Next time, try the "poke" Ahi specifically!! YUM!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu