Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2013, 11:11 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,342,113 times

Advertisements

I can't believe I'm posting this. Some of you might know. I accepted a job in Georgia. My year here has been amazing and has enabled me to progress in my career. It was a great opportunity. I thought we'd be here a couple of years but I'm really fearful there will be lay offs and hiring freezes and I won't have any options at that point. I decided to strike while the iron's hot.

I got a quote on shipping our Kia Rio. We decided not to do it but I wanted to post the cost in case it helps anyone who wants to know how much it costs to ship a car to the mainland.

First, I did an inquiry and got several quotes/bids. I got two both aroung $1700 and that was from Honolulu to Atlanta. One said we could have 100# of "cargo" in the trunk and could fill the back seat as long as it stayed below the window level. I really think that's a good price. The Kia is probably THE smallest car out there nearly. So it would probably be more for larger cars. If we had a nice car that we'd paid a lot for it would be well worth it. Or, my theory, if we added the projected sell price to the ship price and got a far lower price than we'll have to pay for a car when we get there, I'd say ship it for sure. If that makes any sense.

*sigh* Again we take a job that doesn't pay relocation expenses. Ah well. Life's an adventure. We should be there by Christmas.

LOVE you Hawaii! Mahalo and Aloha!
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to the Main Island - car ship cost-northshoregroup.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 11:14 AM
Due

245 posts, read 380,610 times
Thanks for the info!
Best of luck with your new job.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:12 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,101,274 times
Seems like only yesterday you were moving here, and it's been a year already. Wild. Best of luck on your new adventure!

Old 11-20-2013, 12:15 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,279,984 times
Did you think about shipping the car to Long Beach and driving to Georgia?

Old 11-20-2013, 12:18 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Did you think about shipping the car to Long Beach and driving to Georgia?
That wouldn't be very smart - the extra $700 to get it all the way to Georgia is less than the gas, wear and tear, hotel, food cost, and time - and driving in winter is generally no picnic.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:43 PM

Sheepishly admit I did think about shipping to CA and driving mostly because I have loved ones along the way I could visit! Then I remembered: No cruise control. Not just no but HAIL no! We really don't have time anyway. Plus we have canine travelling companions. What a tangled web...

Yes the year flew by. It was 12/28/12 we landed. We plan to fly out either the 24th or 25th.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:47 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,829,821 times
WOW! Good luck to you!! Georgia's cost of living will definitely be lower. Are you staying with the Feds or going private?

Old 11-21-2013, 07:13 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,279,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
That wouldn't be very smart - the extra $700 to get it all the way to Georgia is less than the gas, wear and tear, hotel, food cost, and time - and driving in winter is generally no picnic.
To drive to the west coast may not be as simple as that. It would depend on a number of factors. The gas expensive may not be very high depending on the type of auto. The food cost would probably be higher, depending on if you ate at restaurants or ate sandwiches in the car. In any event, you still have to eat every day, so there is always a food cost every day. The food at airports and on planes is very expensive too. The hotel would be a cost, but it would depend on how far you could travel in a day. If you have more than one driver, you can travel farther in a day. The wear and tear on a car is pretty low when driving freeway miles.

There are added risks too. You could have a car accident, which is more likely than a plane accident. It would take longer to travel, but if you're not in a hurry, then that isn't much of a factor. The airfare is cheaper from the west coast for each person. The winter weather could be a factor, but most of the time driving in the winter isn't a problem, even in the snowbelt.

I've driven across the county many times, it isn't for everyone. It generally takes 3 days to go 2,000 miles with one driver, like from the Minneapolis/St Paul area to the lower Florida keys. We've also driven from Minneapolis/St Paul to Dallas with multiple drivers in one long day. One advantage when you drive across the mainland is you don't have the car rental expense at the remote end. You also lose the airport hassle with security, waiting in lines, waiting around at airports for hours, luggage fees, and hassles with the flights themselves, such as mechanical failures. You also see things as you drive across the county that you would otherwise miss.

Driving across the county is no picnic, it is a hassle, but flying is a hassle too. It depends on the circumstances whether driving to the west coast and shipping the car from the west coast is better or worse than shipping the car and flying from a farther distance.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:57 AM

Great post davephan and I, too, have put HUGE amounts of miles on cars driving coast to coast, TN to everywhere and all over Texas. I love it but it takes a toll. I found out the hard way I can get so tired I hallucinate and that's terrifying while driving.

I can't do it without cruise control and a good audio book library. MUCH harder with furkids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: