Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 07:23 AM

4 posts, read 82,595 times

Advertisements

HI,
I live in California and I am thinking about moving to Oahu for a construction job on a condo high rise that just broke ground. Does anyone know what union journeyman carpenters wages are? I would like to live near the job so I can walk to work or ride my bike. The project is Symphony Honolulu, which is being built at the corner of Ward Avenue and Kapiolani Boulevard at 888 Kapiolani Blvd. Is this an expensive area to live. How much would rent be for a nice, clean safe place with parking? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 09:41 AM

52 posts, read 164,291 times
I'm local 45 in Queens NY retired. I've always heard that NYC, SanFran an Honolulu were the highest.
Why don't you call the Honolulu local and let us know what you find out?

Old 12-02-2013, 09:51 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oahuliving View Post
I would like to live near the job so I can walk to work or ride my bike. The project is Symphony Honolulu, which is being built at the corner of Ward Avenue and Kapiolani Boulevard at 888 Kapiolani Blvd. Is this an expensive area to live. How much would rent be for a nice, clean safe place with parking?
That is a very expensive area. Walking distance nice places (and small) will go $1,800+

Old 12-02-2013, 07:10 PM

Thank you! I am going to try calling again tomorrow-I keep missing the union during their open hours.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:39 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
In the union about $38/hr. Non-union probably $30 +/-. Maintenance carpenters make about $14/hr. When we first got here a year ago they wouldn't allow us to join the union because they said there were 1200 carpenters looking for work. I thought that was not a bright answer but that's what she said to us.

The company building the high rise should tell you what they'll pay you.

You spend so much just to live here - we make about 6 figures and it's comfortable but we ain't getting rich. We rent and I have horses I support in KY for really cheap - seriously. Couple dogs, previous teenage boarders called paras...um...children... We've had fun but are relocating to a place where my guy can build houses again.

There's a lot of "if you aren't a local we don't want to pay you" attitude here.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:25 PM

Thanks Hunterseat :-) I spoke with the union and they said it is $40.75 hourly. I know it is very expensive to live there, I am in savings mode for the next 9 months. DO you have your own company-are you staying busy? It seems like construction is picking up and they have a lot of work coming up.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:21 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,513,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
There's a lot of "if you aren't a local we don't want to pay you" attitude here.

Yes, there is some of that going on, but a lot of locals are getting railroaded by other locals. When it comes to unions, it's who you know. This practice is not unique to Hawaii, it happens all over the country.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:28 PM

52 posts, read 164,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Yes, there is some of that going on, but a lot of locals are getting railroaded by other locals. When it comes to unions, it's who you know. This practice is not unique to Hawaii, it happens all over the country.
I was a Union Carpenter foreman from 1987 until sept 11, 2011 when I retired at the World Trade Center. Yes, you hire the people you know, the people you know will get the job done. If the foreman doesn't use the best men he can get, he won't be the foreman for long!

Old 12-04-2013, 04:38 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,432 times
It's who know for sure when it comes to the Carpenter's Union, Electrical and so on. I'm a carpenter but not in the Union (my
old man was for a time) and one has to understand that when the recession hit; construction came to a dead stop in most
places and many guys/gals didn't work for years. In my area things are booming again and It's refreshing to see these folks
back to work, as the ones who where outta work r going to get preference over a newbie.. If u where a member of a local
prior u should be able to gain employment..i would think.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:55 PM

Retired Early- Wow, what a cool job to retire on building the WTC :-) thanks for all your hard work :-)Congratulations on your retirement! What a great feeling :-) I've been watching YouTube videos on the building process. Curious RE: How many yards of concrete went into the WTC?

Of course, if you work hard you will stay working... foreman's will always hire the people they know to get the job done, if they don't they will lose their job. I've worked for the same company for 10 years and have only been laid off when I asked to be...I was always called back. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu