Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 04:36 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,623,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toseiacq View Post
It will be in honolulu.
So at least you can live in town and forgo the vehicle. That can be a big cost saver as the bus takes you almost anywhere on island. You just gotta leave a little extra time is all.

Quote:
Everyone is making vaild points. Everyday I try to find something to justify moving to Hawaii. As one person said either in the Maryland or the Hawaii thread, Hawaii is on a pay schedule. Then I thought to myself, that would definitely work in my favor.Until I saw the pay schedule.... My starting salary is actually 39K and every year I get a raise. I think the max amount I can get is 60K and I believe it would take me 10 to 12 years to get there (if they give raises out every year. I hope its every six months) ... Terrible. I mean I have to factor the chance of promotion,because I'am way to ambitious to just settle for that kind of pay and position. But still you can't predict everything. SO now I am left with a few general thoughts. It seems to me reading all the post made in the Hawaii threads, it seems like a middle class lifestyle does not exist in Hawaii. You are either richer or poor. I believe hawaii is not a place you go if you want material things (Cars, Houses, Clothing, etc). You go for the lifestyle and the piece of mind. Coming from the Midwest it is hard to transition into that mindset. BUT it is something I do believe I could get into. People live in Hawaii for the setting, the people, family upbringing and other factors I am starting to care about as I get older. Who knows maybe actually getting the chance to struggle a little bit will make a better person and teach me things that will make me able to survive in any setting. My heart says Hawaii but head is like HELLLL NOO.
Sounds about right to me. If you don't LOVE being in Hawaii then it is not worth the price and career limitations IMO. Lots of people do love it, it is honestly one of the most unique and beautiful places on earth that you have to experience to appreciate, but I can't tell you whether or not you will love it personally. Good luck with your decision either way, neither option sounds bad if they end up being offered to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 06:06 AM

24 posts, read 34,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
So at least you can live in town and forgo the vehicle. That can be a big cost saver as the bus takes you almost anywhere on island. You just gotta leave a little extra time is all.

Sounds about right to me. If you don't LOVE being in Hawaii then it is not worth the price and career limitations IMO. Lots of people do love it, it is honestly one of the most unique and beautiful places on earth that you have to experience to appreciate, but I can't tell you whether or not you will love it personally. Good luck with your decision either way, neither option sounds bad if they end up being offered to you.
I'm pretty sure he could afford an old Miata (nice little reliable island cars btw) or Corolla or something like that with liability insurance only if he didn't mind working on it a little every once in a while. Matter of fact, I used to own a Miata and the local Miata club members were some of the nicest people I've met my whole life (got parts for me from the junk yard and even offered me garage space and tools to work on my own car on tech days, and then there's talk-story nights and whatnot, these are folks who will welcome you with open arms where-ever you're from as long as you share their passion, and I think that'd be real nice for a newcomer) ; great way to meet locals too and by that I mean folks who were not necessarily born and raised here but been living on the island for decades.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:31 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,955,630 times
Here's an interesting article on the Hawiian paradise: Racial tensions are simmering in Hawaii's melting pot - USATODAY.com

The OP seems to have concerns about safety moving to Baltimore, thanks to negative posts about Baltimore crime from posters on this thread. However, as a white person living in Hawaii, the OP has a greater chance of being a victim of violence in Hawaii than Baltimore.
There are numerous articles on the hostilities between native Hawiians and whites, but interestingly, no one has brought this to the attention of the OP.

Last edited by dorado0359; 01-22-2014 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: ...

Old 01-22-2014, 10:40 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,943,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Here's an interesting article on the Hawiian paradise: Racial tensions are simmering in Hawaii's melting pot - USATODAY.com

The OP seems to have concerns about safety moving to Baltimore, thanks to negative posts about Baltimore crime from posters on this thread. However, as a white person living in Hawaii, the OP has a greater chance of being a victim of violence in Hawaii than Baltimore.
There are numerous articles on the hostilities between native Hawiians and whites, but interestingly, no one has brought this to the attention of the OP.
Hmmm, besides an article at least 6 years old, I've certainly never felt any "racial tension", I frankly don't hang out in areas where that would be an issue. And it certainly isn't common on the news or newspaper.

I read the entire article, and I didn't get the part where the op would have a greater chance of violence in Hawaii than Baltimore - that was a good laugh for the day since it is simply not true. I'm certain I could walk around Waianae more safely than the roughest parts of Baltimore.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:00 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,115,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
And for some folks, the reverse is true. I have friends who live in Baltimore who love it there for many reasons, including the fact that Washington is only about... what? 20 miles away? With all its cultural richness. And Philadelphia is about 50, so the choices for museums and concerts and theater and other entertainments are vast. For some folks that's a big deal. For others, not.

My point is that most people answer questions like the OP's from their own personal standpoint... based on what they think they might do in that situation... whether it fits the OP or not. I prefer to give the OPs factual information to consider, and encourage them to think through the decision rationally, for themselves.

I have no dog in this hunt. Whatever the OP decides will not affect me one way or the other. But I'd like to see the OP get beyond the stereotypes... good and bad... and actually consider the real-world merits of each of the possibilities as they present themselves to him.

EDIT: OK, I see the OP posted while I was writing this, and I see he is being thoughtful about some of the things I was pointing at. I hope he gets an offer or two!
OpenD, just an FYI. DC is closer to 40 miles away and Philly is more like 90 miles away.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmeister View Post
Choosing Hawaii or Baltimore is like being asked "cake or death?".
No, it is really not that simplistic of a decision.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Sorry about that guys. It took me a while to respond. So I had the interview for Hawaii. I believe I did well but I have some concerns. They explained to me the salary will be around 44k. Do you think that is adequate enough to live in Hawaii? I understand I would definitely need a roommate if I got the job. I am not sure how I feel about getting a roommate off craigslist. I understand its sort of like having a random college roommate, but living with someone random so far home is intimidating. I also did the Baltimore interview as well. That one also went good. Hawaii will let me know if I got the job in a couple of weeks, and Baltimore will let me know in a couple of months. Both jobs sound like something I would enjoy. I'am leaning towards Baltimore just because of the cost of living compared to Hawaii. But im afraid if I get an offer for Hawaii and past it up for Baltimore, I would be putting to much at risk especially if I dont get the Baltimore job. Once again Thank you everyone .All the comments have been helpful. Your experiences have really made me open my eyes to a lot of things.
Toseiacq:

Not that you asked but based upon my own knowledge and experience with Baltimore, your best bet would be to take the Baltimore job if it is offered. Baltimore is far from perfect but it is not the absolute cesspool of Hell that some posters on here have painted it to be. When it comes to crime the same rules apply everywhere:

1) Don't engage in illegal or shady behavior,

2) Don't hang out in known areas of criminal or questionable activity,

3) Don't associate with criminals or those who engage in illegal or shady behavior or indulge such people as friends and associates, and

4) Nothing good happens after midnight (or hanging out after midnight is asking for trouble).

May God bless you in your search.

Last edited by phlinak; 01-22-2014 at 11:42 AM..

Old 01-22-2014, 01:48 PM

12 posts, read 15,591 times
Lol I'm black so hopefully I should be good.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:00 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,623,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manoa_quesadilla View Post
I'm pretty sure he could afford an old Miata (nice little reliable island cars btw) or Corolla or something like that with liability insurance only if he didn't mind working on it a little every once in a while. Matter of fact, I used to own a Miata and the local Miata club members were some of the nicest people I've met my whole life (got parts for me from the junk yard and even offered me garage space and tools to work on my own car on tech days, and then there's talk-story nights and whatnot, these are folks who will welcome you with open arms where-ever you're from as long as you share their passion, and I think that'd be real nice for a newcomer) ; great way to meet locals too and by that I mean folks who were not necessarily born and raised here but been living on the island for decades.
No doubt, but no car is also a great way to save a couple hundred bucks a month... not to mention the parking disaster that town is. I have spent hours looking for street parking before near my apartment in Moiliili.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:09 PM

195 posts, read 669,578 times
I've spent a great deal of time Baltimore and it's not too terrible. Plenty of things to do but costs of living somewhere nice isn't cheap and parking seems to always be an issue. I live in Honolulu now and I make about $75k to support a family of four. We're totally fine financially, but I chose to live in a crappier house to avoid traffic which can be horrible. Baltimore traffic sucks as well and DC is way worse than Honolulu, don't care what anyone says IT IS. Your young and Honolulu is much safer city with a lot unique opportunities. I would get a local roommate and enjoy yourself. You'll need a beater car and they're plentiful here on island. Tons of opportunities to meet people your age here and loads of single men due to the amount of military here. Food costs more here but your by yourself so it won't be a huge amount. DO NOT get a pet, your housing options will disappear. If you really want to get crazy and cuts costs; you could always join a reserve branch of the military so you can shop at the commissary and use the gyms. I know that sounds like a stretch but you wouldn't believe the amount of people who do that here. It really does save you a lot of money and opens up some job opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu