Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 06:56 PM

961 posts, read 1,226,584 times

Advertisements

I read this article recently and found it interesting on many different levels. It is a round table discussion with 6 Local Business and Labor leaders. They offer their assessment of Waikiki today and where it is going.

Many of the topics discussed are things we've been talking about recently here on this forum. Such as tourism and jobs, redevelopment, and even the move toward a more up-scale tourist experience attracting a more affluent traveler and how that has resulted in more tourist spending and higher expectations of service. That higher spending and higher service expectations has led to more jobs and more revenue for the state.

i found the article and opinions expressed interesting and informative. I have a better idea where Waikiki is going and why.

Waikiki: Present and Future - Extended Version - Hawaii Business - January 2014 - Hawaii
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 08:31 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,791,329 times
@Op

I think its fine to grow and change, I just ask? Is waikiki enough? How about Honolulu? Ok then Oahu? Hey not enough? Ok give you maui too. Future WAT! maui and oahu not enough? You want Big island too eh ok. More future, every island and then itz eh weres our home?

Old 01-16-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
@Op

I think its fine to grow and change, I just ask? Is waikiki enough? How about Honolulu? Ok then Oahu? Hey not enough? Ok give you maui too. Future WAT! maui and oahu not enough? You want Big island too eh ok. More future, every island and then itz eh weres our home?
Well, this article is largely only talking about Waikiki. They are not discussing or advocating change for any areas outside of Waikiki. And again, these are local Hawaiian residents discussing the issues they see and the direction they see Waikiki going in the future.

They are really talking about increasing the density of tourist accommodations in Waikiki, improving the tourist experience in Waikiki, attracting certain types of tourists to increase the $$'s spent per day, increasing direct flight routes, and they are advocating improving affordable housing options for Waikiki employees in nearby areas.

If they allowed tourist development unlimited expansion outside of Waikiki, they would ruin the appeal of visiting the islands for many. So we do agree on that point.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:19 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,108,172 times
Only read the first page, but the Sand issue...that will be interesting to see how they deal with it.

I had been here for almost a year when they did the last "replenishment". It was quite the project, very interesting to watch. The Barge in the water, the big sand pool they made when they sucked it out of the bay, the shuffling,. Surfing with the barge in the water was cool because it became an indicator of swell coming.

They sucked not only sand, but lots of shells and debris too. The result of that is that where the water meets the sand, there is a line of shells as you get in and out...not kind on the feet.

The change in the Canoe's surf break has been interesting too. Before there were more patches of reef that were exposed. The depth was fairly gradual as you went away from the beach. Currently, the water gets about chest deep for a bit, and then there is a sand bar that is only thigh deep. I kinda like the new sand bar and it seems that more tourists play on it as well.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
Only read the first page, but the Sand issue...that will be interesting to see how they deal with it.

I had been here for almost a year when they did the last "replenishment". It was quite the project, very interesting to watch. The Barge in the water, the big sand pool they made when they sucked it out of the bay, the shuffling,. Surfing with the barge in the water was cool because it became an indicator of swell coming.

They sucked not only sand, but lots of shells and debris too. The result of that is that where the water meets the sand, there is a line of shells as you get in and out...not kind on the feet.

The change in the Canoe's surf break has been interesting too. Before there were more patches of reef that were exposed. The depth was fairly gradual as you went away from the beach. Currently, the water gets about chest deep for a bit, and then there is a sand bar that is only thigh deep. I kinda like the new sand bar and it seems that more tourists play on it as well.
Interesting. I didn't realize how the replenishment would impact the surfing. They do talk about the need for maintaining the beach. And later in the discussion they also touch on rising sea levels and the need to start considering the potential impact of that. Such as possibly building up the beach more and creating a bit of a burm. But that is off in the future a ways.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:16 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,325,880 times
Surf conditions change all the time as sand bars come and go in surfing spots and Canoes is so dang crowded, who wants to surf there? I'll do the extra paddle out to Threes and surf with real surfers and avoid the cluster inside.

Outrigger did a great job with the Beach Walk and Lewers and the Halekulani Corp did a nice job when they rebuilt Halekulani, but there is only so much you can do with Waikiki given the land cost and restrictions. I think the plans for the old Surfrider are awful. I'd rather see them rip out places like the Foster Tower, Pacific Beach Hotel and redevelop those spaces, or better still, rip out the whole corner of Kapahulu and Kalakaua and build one nice resort there.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Surf conditions change all the time as sand bars come and go in surfing spots and Canoes is so dang crowded, who wants to surf there? I'll do the extra paddle out to Threes and surf with real surfers and avoid the cluster inside.

Outrigger did a great job with the Beach Walk and Lewers and the Halekulani Corp did a nice job when they rebuilt Halekulani, but there is only so much you can do with Waikiki given the land cost and restrictions. I think the plans for the old Surfrider are awful. I'd rather see them rip out places like the Foster Tower, Pacific Beach Hotel and redevelop those spaces, or better still, rip out the whole corner of Kapahulu and Kalakaua and build one nice resort there.

Agreed about the Surfrider. I don't like the side tower they already have, let alone the new one that was approved.

Waikiki has plenty or area's and old buildings that could/should be taken down and re-purposed. Eventually, a lot of it will. But I also feel most of that sort of development and higher density re-development for tourists should be contained in Waikiki proper, border by the Ala Wai to the north and west and Kapahulu to the east.

I'm glad the leaders in the article were opposed to bringing rail down Kuhio, especially given it would be an elevated platform rail which would be exceedingly ugly. But instead are working to create a circular bus transportation to circle around the hotels, convention center, mall and tap into the rail at the mall level. A circular transportation system circling through Waikiki would be a nice addition in my opinion.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:48 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,829,635 times
Quote:
I'd rather see them rip out places like the Foster Tower, Pacific Beach Hotel and redevelop those spaces, or better still, rip out the whole corner of Kapahulu and Kalakaua and build one nice resort there.
We just stayed a week at the Park Shore on the corner of Kapahulu and Kalakaua. We really enjoyed their renovations and the staff was great. Huge improvement for a small increase in price. Wonderful place to take kids to.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:52 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,108,172 times
Quote:
Lots of people like to surf Canoes, try once to tell some of the locals they are not real surfers.

Either way it doesn't matter, my comment was targeted more towards what was affected by the sand. This is much more than just regular sand movement at a beach break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu