Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 10:27 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,769,813 times

Advertisements

What i thought was interesting about the first movie of 1940s was even honolulu back then had parking and traffic problems and it was crowded. In the second film in 1940s was Waikiki what was interesting about that tape was the shot of Kalakaua Avenue on .20 of the tape almost nothing but gorgeous palmtrees.

But even back then the beaches were crowded. It was just nice to see oahu look like a tropical island. Nothing to take from that statement. Hope you continue to enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 11:44 AM

Aloha, howzit?

Just found this about an hr ago, wished i had had it when i startted this thread. But it belongs here.

A Glimpse Into Early Kailua Town - 1958 - YouTube

Old 02-21-2014, 09:35 AM

284 posts, read 493,034 times
Mahalo for posting these videos, I enjoyed watching them and learning a bit more about Hawaii!

I live in Canada and have only visited Oahu once, last January, with my wife and adult son. We all loved it: the people we met were all friendly and welcoming, the island beautiful, even in the city, and the aquarium wonderful. We tried to learn as much as possible about Hawaian culture and history, went to the Polynesian Cultural Centre, and did other touristy things.
My son and I are both distance runners so were out doing training runs varying from 45 minutes to 21/2 hours each morning, and saw dozens if not hundreds of other runners. We walked all round Waikiki, took the trolley to see the sights, ate at different restaurants, relaxed on the beach.

Oahu is a small island with a large population and a lot of terrain which is too steep to build on or develop. Unless immigration and population growth can be limited this means more high rise development and expensive real estate prices. Certainly land can be set aside by state or municipal governments for parks and nature preserves, but tax revenues rise when development is allowed, so unless there is clear public support for limiting development it will continue.

This may encourage people to move to the other islands, but to some degree the slower paced and more gracious way of life shown in the videos is a thing of the past, not just on Oahu, but everywhere in the world. As I get older I find myself looking back to the past more than to the future. I realize that Zimbabwe now, where I grew up 50 years ago, could never match the fond memories I hold.
Thanks again for the research you did to show us the beauty of Hawaii.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:33 PM

Aloha

Heres another video of Oahu history. I would love to meet KailuaKid the uncle who produced these videos and say Mahalo.

8mm Vintage Film Footage of Hawaii 1959 - YouTube

This video has a great aireal view of Oahu.

For me when I see the old Hawai'i, it isn't about going back in time to live, its when I see these videos i can't help not to appreciate how gorgeous Hawai'i is and makes me not want to throw my garbage on the ground. Makes me greatful to have experienced the garden of eden lol. Makes the kama'aina in me come out. Thats the point of the threads.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 02-22-2014 at 01:58 PM..

Old 02-22-2014, 05:41 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,245,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny08 View Post
Just be happy Oahu doesn't look like Hong Kong. And the other Hawaiian islands have a lot more open space.
Hong Kong is a beautiful city.

Density/tall buildings isn't a horrible thing. Imagine if all of Pearl City's population was just put into HK-like buildings instead of spread out single family homes. They'd only take about 1/30th of the land, leaving 29/30th of the land for nature, parks, or whatever else.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,951,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Density/tall buildings isn't a horrible thing.
Agreed. Hong Kong is beautiful. And imagine with all that open space just how expensive Oahu would really be. Just a land of multi-millionaires.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:15 PM

On the "A Glimpse Into Early Kailua Town - 1958 - YouTube video under the comments there is an interesting statement from a gentleman who says this "That house probably a Q.C. Lum or Joe Pao 3-brdrm, cost my father $9,999 for a brand-new one on Kaha St. in '57. Recently resold, pretty much the same house and no big add-ons, for $600,000. Auwe! I dunno why I never forgot this, but Oneawa Market sold thin rib-eye steak for teriyaki, 3 lbs. for one dollar!" just thought i would bring it up. Interesting

Old 02-22-2014, 07:20 PM

136 posts, read 330,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Density/tall buildings isn't a horrible thing. Imagine if all of Pearl City's population was just put into HK-like buildings instead of spread out single family homes. They'd only take about 1/30th of the land, leaving 29/30th of the land for nature, parks, or whatever else.
I never said anything about Hong Kong not being beautiful or a good place to live. I was just responding to Hawaiian by heart's posts about Oahu becoming more crowded. Besides, HK's population density is much higher than Oahu's, so it isn't an equal comparison. Obviously more than 1/30th of HK's land has buildings.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny08 View Post
I never said anything about Hong Kong not being beautiful or a good place to live. I was just responding to Hawaiian by heart's posts about Oahu becoming more crowded. Besides, HK's population density is much higher than Oahu's, so it isn't an equal comparison. Obviously more than 1/30th of HK's land has buildings.
I also believe the misunderstanding between myself and others is not that development, growth or modernisation is bad it isn't, neither is buildings, ive seen some gorgeous buildings before. My message is anything can become bad when it goes to an extreme, that all.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:58 PM

59 posts, read 101,838 times
I'm not sure if I'm biased but I live in Asia and I sure do appreciate Hawaii and NOT the packed-buildings-monotonous-structure-scene.

Hong Kong paradise:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu