Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2014, 12:20 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,761,393 times

Advertisements

Aloha

This is to anyone who served or used to serve at Fort Shafter, Hawaii. Ever wondered what it looked like or how solders lived? Well check it out.

Fort Shafter, Hawaii - Once Upon a Time - YouTube

Or How about the service men or women stationed at Pearl Harbor. Did you know that the base used to have its own school? Pearl Harbor- Kai School, Oahu. Check it out.

Pearl Harbor- Kai School, Oahu, Hawaii - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 04:56 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,829,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Aloha

This is to anyone who served or used to serve at Fort Shafter, Hawaii. Ever wondered what it looked like or how solders lived? Well check it out.

Fort Shafter, Hawaii - Once Upon a Time - YouTube

Or How about the service men or women stationed at Pearl Harbor. Did you know that the base used to have its own school? Pearl Harbor- Kai School, Oahu. Check it out.

Pearl Harbor- Kai School, Oahu, Hawaii - YouTube
HbH, That school along with ADM Chester Nimitz Elementary and a Charter School are still on the base. I believe Hickam has an elementary school as well.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
HbH, That school along with ADM Chester Nimitz Elementary and a Charter School are still on the base. I believe Hickam has an elementary school as well.
Mahalo for the information, so many things have changed and the memory is going south lol.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:15 AM

Ever wondered about the ala wai cannel and what were they thinking?

Ala Wai Canal: Hawaii's Biggest Mistake? - YouTube

Old 06-08-2014, 01:58 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,576,764 times
Hey, wait a sec. I've raced in the channel before, and the main idea was #1, WIN!! #2, DON'T huli!!! Would say a lot for Oahu if they were to clean that canal to the point where one could swim in it without fear of coming down with the much dreaded hauna okole disease.

Eh, how's your okole??

Hauna nui

What, wen huli da canal

Old 06-08-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Hey, wait a sec. I've raced in the channel before, and the main idea was #1, WIN!! #2, DON'T huli!!! Would say a lot for Oahu if they were to clean that canal to the point where one could swim in it without fear of coming down with the much dreaded hauna okole disease.

Eh, how's your okole??

Hauna nui

What, wen huli da canal
No huli in canal Auwe, Hauna! Okole maika`i mahalo. No canal fo' me.

Yeah and stop using the canal as a sewage overflow place.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:41 PM

This has some really nice pictures of areas of honolulu and oahu really not covered before. Really enjoy.

Honolulu 1954 (Fwam Jones Film) - YouTube

Old 06-30-2014, 02:05 PM

6 posts, read 15,607 times
I lived in Aiea and Hickam from 1970-1978 from the time I was 3 years old until I was almost 11. I returned around 1991 for a trip to Kauai with a inter inland transfer on Oahu. When our plane banked hard right for our decent and landing, I looked out my window at an island, I no longer recognized. I saw highways and sky scrapers in my mind, I thought someone had scooped out a section of downtown LA, and dropped it on my home. I actually started to weep, I felt as if someone in my family had died. My memories of a simpler time and were somehow tarnished by the sight of this unrecognizable land where I grew up.

I am all for progress but progress does not mean destroying every open space for a hotel or track homes so close, you can stick your arm out your bathroom window and grab a fresh roll from your neighbors bathroom without getting up.

I am retiring in 3 years and have decided to raise my son, who is 3, on Kauai. I want him to experience what I experienced growing up. Walking to school and grabbing fresh Mango or Banana on the walk to and from, having a good time with neighbors as we share a meal and sitting on the beach with a handful of Musubi and some POG. I have so many memories at the Pearl Ridge Shopping Center and the Ala Moana, walking the canals, catching crabs, fishing.

All I do is think about going home. I have lived in Southern California since 1978 and have NEVER felt as if I fit in here, I never felt like I belonged here. If you have left the islands, you know what I mean, I have a longing in my heart like I am separated from family and life, even when I have no blood on the islands.

Anyway, thanks OP for the videos, I am homesick even more. LOL. I am going home in January to visit, I will be looking for homes in the Wailua Homesteads in Kauai. Everyday is one day closer to going home.

This is the home I remember. Me and my big brother

Last edited by Hapa Haole Brat; 06-30-2014 at 03:24 PM..

Old 07-06-2014, 11:49 PM

@Hapa Haole Brat

Mahalo for your wonderful post. I really hope you can find the same feelings you described. So much has changed my friend. Wish you and your son well.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:57 PM

Aloha

Here is something for a friend on CDF Hawai'i who spent a summer experiencing da local life wit his uncle. Hope this brings back good memories?

Hawaiian legend Crouching Lion of Kahana Bay, Ka'a'awa, Oahu - YouTube

DJI Phantom 2 H3-3D Gimbal GOPRO HERO 3. Ka'a'awa, Hi. - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu