Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 06:36 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Do you have any data that supports that position.

In 1970, less than half of the households owned a home. Therefore, most had to rent.

In 2014, 57.6% of the households - which is much higher, own homes.

https://www.census.gov/hhes/www/hous...ric/owner.html

Hawaii has some of the highest millionaire households, 7% of households are millionaire households excluding the value of real estate and retirement.
What does this have anything to do with what im saying whtviper1? Is it possible that people who lived in Hawaii in earlier times generally had different value systems and thus thought paradise was different then what people do today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 06:38 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Is it possible that people who lived in Hawaii in earlier times generally had different value systems and thus thought paradise was different then what people do today?
Sure, do you have any data that supports your position?

The data I continually provide shows people living in Hawaii are far better off when you were last in Hawaii 40 years ago as a child. Just saying.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Sure, do you have any data that supports your position?

The data I continually provide shows people living in Hawaii are far better off when you were last in Hawaii 40 years ago as a child. Just saying.
Far better off? By what standards are you judging this on? And what value system? You do understand that most everything said on this forum is opinion based and even facts are subject to personal perceived experiences? You do understand that alot of things are far worse today then in past Hawaii?

I respect your opinion, but its more difficult to relate experience from the past if someone hasn't experienced it then to relate current times in Oahu.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Far better off? By what standards are you judging this on.

You do understand that alot of things are far worse today then in past Hawaii?
Do you have any data to support your position.

Today, 7% of households in Hawaii excluding real estate and retirement funds have net worth above $1,000,000. Today, despite a much larger population, homeownership increased from 47% in 1970 to 57% in 2014. Those are facts, not opinion. I am awaiting your facts.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Do you have any data to support your position.

Today, 7% of households in Hawaii excluding real estate and retirement funds have net worth above $1,000,000. Today, despite a much larger population, homeownership increased from 47% in 1970 to 57% in 2014. Those are facts, not opinion. I am awaiting your facts.
Sure start a different thread and i will debate stats with you. A good title would be "lifestyles of past hawaii vs today"

Old 02-18-2015, 08:36 PM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times
I bet Honolulu was a special place 40 yrs ago. I don't think all the changes are for the better and I particularly don't the the height exceptions being made on some of the new towers or the continuing sprawl.

I think it is still a great place but anyplace that grows and expands loses some sense of closeness with the community as a whole.

Money is not the only barometer ... What they may have lacked in money decades ago they likely made up for it with a richness of family.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
I don't think all the changes are for the better and I particularly don't the the height exceptions being made on some of the new towers or the continuing sprawl.
The height restrictions in my opinion really holds back Honolulu from being a world class city.

Look at Singapore - or Hong Kong - even Chicago or San Francisco. The height limits are restricting housing and makes the skyline of Honolulu quite bland and in my opinion boring compared to what it could be. Kakaako and Ala Moana would be striking would 80 story towers - the Moana Pacific looks spectacular - and would even be more so if 30 more stories - especially if on the waterfront. Let's not kid ourselves, Kakaako is pretty bland with no decent views.

The restrictions will end at some point and I think it will make for a much more spectacular skyline and you'll see better hotels built that want to go higher.....

Old 02-19-2015, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
I bet Honolulu was a special place 40 yrs ago. I don't think all the changes are for the better and I particularly don't the the height exceptions being made on some of the new towers or the continuing sprawl.

I think it is still a great place but anyplace that grows and expands loses some sense of closeness with the community as a whole.

Money is not the only barometer ... What they may have lacked in money decades ago they likely made up for it with a richness of family.
Exactly, life was different back then, there was a good balance between local culture and big money. Lifestyle 40 years ago was still old local Hawaii but with modern conve nuances for that time period. Shoot you even heard heavy pidgin back then.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Exactly, life was different back then, there was a good balance between local culture and big money. Lifestyle 40 years ago was still old local Hawaii but with modern conve nuances for that time period.
Do you have any data to support your position?

Old 02-19-2015, 01:17 AM

Quote:
The height restrictions in my opinion really holds back Honolulu from being a world class city.

Look at Singapore - or Hong Kong - even Chicago or San Francisco. The height limits are restricting housing and makes the skyline of Honolulu quite bland and in my opinion boring compared to what it could be. Kakaako and Ala Moana would be striking would 80 story towers - the Moana Pacific looks spectacular - and would even be more so if 30 more stories - especially if on the waterfront. Let's not kid ourselves, Kakaako is pretty bland with no decent views.

The restrictions will end at some point and I think it will make for a much more spectacular skyline and you'll see better hotels built that want to go higher.....
Reading a post of yours from another thread I believe I understand you better. Whtviper1 your just to young to understand that people living in Oahu in older generations like mine had different values of what is paradise. The building hight limits where in reflection of the value of seeing the aina and the view not about money. Diamand head has always been a symbol of Oahu for example. When you moved to Hawaii did you move there because that was the place to be? You know a lot of work has been done on Oahu the last 20+ years to make it more comfortable for big money from the mainland to live in Oahu. But you must understand that the vision of the last 20 years of changes on Oahu is not a true reflection of what Hawaii is. Its big money tourism views. Thou big money or tourism isn't bad persa, lack of balance is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu