Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2015, 01:20 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,780,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Do you have any data to support your position?
Lol read the thread and watch the videos that should be enough data to prove my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 01:24 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,985,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Lol read the thread and watch the videos that should be enough data to prove my point.
So, you can't provide any written data - got it.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:33 AM

Quote:
So, you can't provide any written data - got it.

No I've provided plenty of data. I'm just tried of your lil dog humping my leg routine. You make everything a competition, when I'm not interested in a competition. Be the big shot just stop humping my leg ok. Geez.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:41 AM

Quote:
No I've provided plenty of data.
Let's see the written data that people in 1970's or even 1980's people living in Hawaii were better off than 2015. Something - anything.

I'll provide my again - in 1970 less than 50% of households in Hawaii owned homes.

In 2014, far more than 50% households own homes with a much higher population.

Hawaii also has the 8th least income inequality in the United States.

https://www.census.gov/hhes/www/hous...ric/owner.html

List of U.S. states by Gini coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-19-2015, 07:30 AM

960 posts, read 1,222,914 times
Quote:
The height restrictions in my opinion really holds back Honolulu from being a world class city.

Look at Singapore - or Hong Kong - even Chicago or San Francisco. The height limits are restricting housing and makes the skyline of Honolulu quite bland and in my opinion boring compared to what it could be. Kakaako and Ala Moana would be striking would 80 story towers - the Moana Pacific looks spectacular - and would even be more so if 30 more stories - especially if on the waterfront. Let's not kid ourselves, Kakaako is pretty bland with no decent views.

The restrictions will end at some point and I think it will make for a much more spectacular skyline and you'll see better hotels built that want to go higher.....
I love intersting architecture and well designed buildings. And I also understand that Towers are probably the best way to balance the need for new housing while simultaneously containing sprawl.

But in my opinion, Hawaii's natural beauty is far greater than any manmade beauty and setting and maintaining certain levels of height restrictions on towers is one way to help maintain that balance with Hawaii's scenic beauty.

I recently read that the Kings Village redevelopment in Waikiki is planning to build higher than the existing limits, just like the Trump and Ritz Carlton have done.

For me, I lay this issue at teh foot of the politicians rather than the developers. Developers will do whatever they can to maximize their profit. We all know this. But the politicians are charged with controlling that development for the betterment of the community as a whole. I just believe they need to set the restrictions in a well planned manner and stick to them.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post

But in my opinion, Hawaii's natural beauty is far greater than any manmade beauty and setting and maintaining certain levels of height restrictions on towers is one way to help maintain that balance with Hawaii's scenic beauty.

I recently read that the Kings Village redevelopment in Waikiki is planning to build higher than the existing limits, just like the Trump and Ritz Carlton have done.
Well, in my opinion - Kakaako and Waikiki (except Diamond Head and the actual beach) isn't exactly high on the list for natural beauty - especially compared to the Windward or North Shore areas - or better yet, Kauai or Maui.

Have you ever been to Hong Kong? It is simply stunning how they have balanced the scenic beauty and architecture.

Just doing one-off and ad-hoc height limit exceptions is not good - they should simply double the existing limits in Kakaako and Waikiki and plan it correctly.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:02 PM

7,272 posts, read 5,306,588 times
In the past few years I visited the island of Oahu twice, as my daughter who is a nurse in the Army was working at Trippler for three years. I spent 6 weeks total on the island. The first time I visited my daughter lived off of Ala Wai, so I could walk to Waikiki and the center of town (or what I consider just a big shopping and hotel zone). The second time I went she was living in Kaneohe. In those two trips we pretty much covered the entire island.

One time we took a two-day trip up the west side. We stayed in some Army housing, which I think was in Waianae, and then went all the way up the Farrington Hwy (93) to Ka'ena Point State Park. In visiting all sides of the island, I was able to see varying views.

From my perspective, Honolulu and Waikiki is the touristy area. I loved Waikiki Beach, but actually liked Lanikai Beach in Kailua just as much. The North Shore offered the turtles and the Polynesian Center. Driving across the Pali Hwy, the LikeLike, and the H3 offered up some beautiful scenery. But the ride up 93 seemed to be the "locals" side of the island. The beach at Ka'ena was not crowded at all, and people were spear fishing. It was as non touristy as it gets.

Honolulu is built up to a point, and the traffic is horrible. But I remember standing in the water at Waikiki looking at Diamond Head and feeling the iconic beauty. I though Koko Head was an awesome climb with great views. The drive up to Kailua was gorgeous. It must be hard for such a small island to control build-up, balancing their #1 money maker in tourism along with the fact of the military presence and those who reside there.

Last edited by metalmancpa; 02-19-2015 at 01:24 PM..

Old 02-19-2015, 01:03 PM

Oh people forget or didn't know, both Kakaako and Waikiki were once gorgeous places at one time. Even back 40 years ago when there was a balance between building and maintaining the old local hawaii feel it was gorgeous. Shoot we criticised the international market place as being rundown and touristy but back in the 60s and 70s she was gorgeous when they took care of her. The combination of her banyan tree and fresh elevated wooden walkways over koa fish ponds with the japanese theme areas of the market made it gorgeous. Then add the smell of sweet bamboo like what Iidas was like in ala moana shopping center and it was a place to remember. Honest i wish i had pictures or videos that far back. The problem today is that fine balance is gone.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:15 PM

@metalmancpa

Aloha and welcome to CDF Hawai'i. As you stood there standing in the water at Waikiki looking at Diamond Head and feeling the iconic beauty, how did it feel? Was it awe inspiring? Was it a feeling of love or a spiritual awakening? Congradulations my friend you had an experience that is rare for most. I hope everytime in the future when you see that image in your minds eye that you can reexperience that feeling again. Its priceless.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:40 PM

7,272 posts, read 5,306,588 times
Quote:
@metalmancpa

Aloha and welcome to CDF Hawai'i. As you stood there standing in the water at Waikiki looking at Diamond Head and feeling the iconic beauty, how did it feel? Was it awe inspiring? Was it a feeling of love or a spiritual awakening? Congradulations my friend you had an experience that is rare for most. I hope everytime in the future when you see that image in your minds eye that you can reexperience that feeling again. Its priceless.
Honestly? It sent chills down my spine. Every time I went there during my two trips, I got the same feeling. I remembers travel pictures of the past always wanting to go there. But being there snapping my own pictures and video, and then just putting technology down and standing in the water staring. I will NEVER lose that feeling again.

I had many incredible sights that I will never forget. Lanikai Beach was beautiful (even saw a wedding take place in the sand). The views from Diamond Head and Koko Crater, and the Punchbowl too. Seeing the sea turtles resting on the beach. Both times I went in the summer, so no north shore waves to see. The ride to Kailua and stopping for many incredible views with the water on one side and the hills on the other. Waimanola Beach Park.

I never thought I would ever get to Hawaii ever due to finances, let along twice in 3 years. Having a place to stay and a car to drive saved many thousands of dollars, so we could stay 3 weeks at a time.

Here's a few shots I took (only ones I've put on Photobucket):

Until Hawaii, St Maarten was my #1 favorite place to visit. Hawaii is now tied for that spot. Even though more Americanized than the Caribbean, it's a different flavor of America not found on the mainland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu