Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 09:13 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,769,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
What is wrong with Hong Kong? I have a blast whenever I go - and everyone I know loves it who lives there.
Viper lets try a different approach to what im saying ok? Did you watch part 4 of 1940s? What if you could have that nature but still have your white viper, house, condo, walmart etc? There was a part in the video that showed your area where you lived. Wouldnt the nature of your area in the film be more desirable if it just had modern houses and like paved roads? What if the residents of Hawai'i pushed to preserve 20% of nature in Oahu? Wouldnt that raise the value of your property and lower the population(suppy and demand?), But preserve what is Hawai'i? I know that this isnt what is happening right now. But often change comes from thinking outside the box and it starts with one person. Wouldnt you agree this would be more desirable?

Ok enough said. Im going to let others enjoy this thread and post. Im not your enemy ok, im just asking you to think outside your box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 09:37 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,951,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Viper lets try a different approach to what im saying ok? Did you watch part 4 of 1940s? What if you could have that nature but still have your white viper, house, condo, walmart etc? There was a part in the video that showed your area where you lived. Wouldnt the nature of your area in the film be more desirable if it just had modern houses and like paved roads?
No, no, and no.

Specifically to part 4, practically nobody lived in Kailua or Kaneohe - there was no Pali Highway, no Likelike, no H3.

Nobody could enjoy it - because hardly anybody could get there. Look at the Pali Highway shot - nobody is there in the distance. Nothing. It is just land (pineapple fields that eventually went away) - nobody enjoying it like today. The shot in Kailua - only a house here and there - no houses for people to live in and enjoy.

Take a drive on the H3 sometime - nothing but wide open scenery.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
No, no, and no.

Specifically to part 4, practically nobody lived in Kailua or Kaneohe - there was no Pali Highway, no Likelike, no H3.

Nobody could enjoy it - because hardly anybody could get there. Look at the Pali Highway shot - nobody is there in the distance. Nothing. It is just land (pineapple fields that eventually went away) - nobody enjoying it like today. The shot in Kailua - only a house here and there - no houses for people to live in and enjoy.

Take a drive on the H3 sometime - nothing but wide open scenery.
Viper are you not getting what im saying? All im saying is not black or white or all or nothing. What im saying was to just conserve some nature. Because left to special interests there will be no open spaces in the future for anyone, and come on you cant say it wont happen because the videos show it will happen.

I respect your opinion and preference but I have to admit its weird. Lol you are super haole huh? (No offense intended)

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 02-08-2014 at 10:11 PM..

Old 02-08-2014, 09:57 PM

@whtviper1

Post#21 My quote: Wouldnt the nature of your area in the film be more desirable if it just had modern houses and like paved roads? What if the residents of Hawai'i pushed to preserve 20% of nature in Oahu? * * *

Your kinda slick huh viper? Where does that say one house? No roads etc?

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 02-08-2014 at 10:18 PM..

Old 02-08-2014, 10:19 PM

My point is there is plenty of scenery on Oahu. Take a drive.

View from my bedroom.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
My point is there is plenty of scenery on Oahu. Take a drive.
How much would you say is left less then 20% of the island? Not including beaches and mountains? Further your talking right now, What about 20 years from now? Or is that not your problem because it doesnt effect you? What if I told you in my time we prob had close to 30% or more of the island almost not touched not including beaches and mountains.

Further im not saying there isnt nature on Oahu, what im saying is its vanishing. And for you to argue against that is crazy.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:39 PM

Far more than 20% of the island isn't highly developed. Probably closer to 50%.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Far more than 20% of the island isn't highly developed. Probably closer to 50%.
Developed or development viper means no nature my friend? How much of nature is left besides the mountains and beaches? Be honest. Cant be more then 20 years ago or even close to 40 years ago right? Can you agree to that? So yes its slowly disappearing. This is the pattern since the 50s, so if its the pattern up till present then how is it going to change in the future if no one says enough or no everthing is not ok. Like I said viper, your reality is based on what is now in Hawai'i, you don't know of a better Hawai'i. But in twenty years when half of the nature you know now is gone and population has grown another 20%, you might be me going "Hey enough" Why do you think so many people of my generation of Oahu are asking is Oahu really worth it anymore?

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 02-08-2014 at 11:56 PM..

Old 02-08-2014, 11:35 PM

@whtviper1

Look you got to understand im not arguing with you to be right, i love my home and trying to keep it from being destroyed. Reality is based on experience, for the longest time my reality of Oahu was the 70s, i thought that was the best. But I was able to experience earlier times and grown to respect that in some ways its better. Im not saying i wouldn't love oahu still (its my home). But I will defently notice the difference in how much trees, flowers, green there is more so in Honolulu and Waikiki.

Wasnt it your town that asked please don't send anymore tourist our way?

Old 02-09-2014, 02:34 AM

Wow check this out, would you ever believe waikiki and honolulu could ever be this green?

Panoramio - Photo of Waikiki Beach 1955
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu